Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In my concept, complete immersion is that you do one thing at a time and will not be distracted by other things , you will pay full attention to do one thing.when you do complete immersion,you will do that thing will.such as learn a language.
    To learn English, I think at a place where native language is not English , it is very difficult to completely immerse. Because when the people around you are speaking Chinese and they don't understand English, can you do insist on speaking English? Of course not. So I think it is more beneficial to do complete immersion in an English speaking country than a country where speakes other language
    • I can see you understand what the concept of "complete immersion" means, Hui Ying. Complete immersion can only work in China if the English-speaking person wants to learn Chinese!

• Oh John ,I have to say ,I still cant agree with you .Imagine this ,if you have a friend who is a foreigner and live with you in China ,but can only speak English ,you have to communicate with he/she,when you are talking ,you are complete immersing in English.I this case ,you will complete immerse in the atmoshere of speaking.Maybe it is a special example,but I just want to say ,it is possible ,and just depend on that you want to do it or not ,I think .
    And Helen is OK ,she was just busy these days.Maybe you will see her comment in a minute.
    • Sorry Amy, it appears to me that your understanding of "complete immersion" is not completely correct! What you suggested, may work partly, but it is not "complete immersion" as everyone around you and your foreign friend would speak Chinese. To be "completely immersed" in another language, so to speak, means that everyone around you speak that language and you are the only one speaking your mother tongue; so, you are "forced" to speak the other language if you want to communicate. ;-)

• I think English is very important,because english is becoming more and more widely.Now english is used by many people,if you want to talk with the people who comes from other countries,english is a good way to communicte.Although we have learned english for nearly 12 years,we can not speak fluently english.The atmosphere is a important factor,so...Jhon comes to help us.[ha ha..]I think if we can go to an english speaking country ,we can get more benefits. Because in that condition we must talking with people in english,we can practise our spoken english,listening,words.If possible i also want to study english in westen country.
    • I agree with you that it is best to learn English in an English-speaking country, Yao Zengjun, but it is not always so easy and it is a very expensive exercise. So, if you want to go, I hope your father has started saving for your trip long ago! Yes, John did come to help you (like many other foreign teachers); just a pity not all the students realize how much it can help when having a foreign teacher! ;-)

• In my opinion,complete immersion is that one person immerses himself in a conditon and dosen't care about who is him before and tries his best to get used to the condition.In the video,it can mean that the students who learn English in foreign countries shouldn't bring their own world to the new condition.And they should regard them as the local people ang just speaking local language.This way can let you just speaking the language that you want to learn and trying to use the way that the local people use to think.
    And I don't it is possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country.For example,if you are the only person really want to leanrn English,but the people around you just peaking Chinese.I don't think it will be possible.
    • You are right, Xu Yang; "complete immersion" can only work in an English-speaking country. If one's own country has another language which is generally spoken, one can't learn English as effectively as when living in an English country.

• A proverb may explain the first question.That is "when in Rome,do as the Romans do",i think.When we are in foreign country,we should be accustomed to the atmosphere.We should learn from local people.When people live in UK,most of people around us speak in English.And if you live with a hoststay,they will correct your mistake and help you in your accent.It is impossible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going an English-speaking country.It is difficult for us to change our habits.When we are in china,we can not touch foreign culture.When learning in school,what we learn is just the surface of English.
    • I can see you understand this method very well, Ying Haiyang. It is true what you said about "just touching the surface" when learning English in China. China has been isolated from the English-speaking world for so long that it is still an unfamiliar experience to most students to learn a second language. And because the Chinese population is so vast, and so few Chinese people speaking English, I don't think it would ever become easier to learn English in China! I also agree with the saying about Rome you mentioned, as it would certainly help one if you are a homestay-student in an English country; but I personally believe there are some reservations (conditions) to that! If I have to compromise my principles because of the customs or culture of the host nation, I will not submit to the "Romans"! If the host country can't respect my principles, can they expect from me to respect their culture or customs? But I guess that people normally have some understanding for other's beliefs and principles. :)

This reply was deleted.