Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In my opinion, completely immersion is do the thing what you want to do into the heart regardless of time and place. of course,completely immersion is a very good language learning method! As far as I'm concerned,if we can fully immersed , perhaps i can quickly learn to high quality and high level of a language, but obviously want to completely immersion is not so easy, thrown outside influence, your attitude or some other reasons of yourself can also cause you can't completely immersed, obviously if we want completely immersed in the state which not use it for the first language is more difficult, like chinese learn english ,the above are my personal thoughts.
    • You are correct in that this is not an easy language-learning method, Zhang Ke; but indeed is it one of the best methods to learn the language in a short time. However, I think not every student can do that as it requires a lot of sacrifice and 'giving' of oneself. In the video, three of the girls already lived in Europe and many of those cultures are overlapping, I think, making it easier for them. I have the feeling it would be very difficult for a Chinese student as the culture is so different from western culture. However, the girl from South America (Venezuela, I think) adapted very well and she impressed me most in the video. So, it isn't impossible!

• “Complete immersion” may mean an atmosphere that makes one completely lost in.Here reminds me one little story when I was in passenger seat with my dad. He said he’d like to find me a GF who has been in the UK when she’s little, and added that she can speak English fluently that may help me with my poor English. (I know that just a joke) .But I can see that if one who Immerses in an English environment will do help them a lot with English. Hope in the future I will have the chance to go the UK to feel its different culture.
    • Haha, your father sounds like a man of wisdom and good vision, Long Yuan! But he should have added that if she is a Brit, then it would have even been better! However, your English is not that poor ... so, my guess is you have followed your father's advice! ;-)

Well, if you hope to get to the UK in future, make it a goal or dream and start dreaming or planning toward it! Walt Disney said, "if you can dream about something, you can do it"! But if you want to study there, I guess your father should have started saving already before you were born as I understand it costs around RMB200 000 per year to study in the UK! America, Canada and Australia are even more expensive. Or maybe you only want to travel there to 'feel' the culture, as you mentioned, and that would be much more affordable!

• In my view,complete immersion is to make you completely lead your heart into the enviorment.I think go to the English-speaking country is good.Because it gives us an atmosphere that make us have to learn it.It becomes our daily life.
    • So, if you understand "complete immersion", Caroline, would you say it can work in China if you want to improve your English skills?! If you say 'no', of course then you know the meaning as it can only work in another country if you want to learn that country's language if it is different from your own mother tongue! Not an easy way of doing it, especially in the beginning; but it is indeed a very effective way.

• If I were B,I'd ask the student . Q1:What's the most indispensable thing you need? Q2:What's kind of person your hosts like in your expectation ? Q3:Whether you want to live alone or in a twins room?

If I were A ,the student. A1:I would tell the personnel of homestay company that the most important for me is food ,I love delicious ,I want to enjoy it .And I hope my room is clean ,it needn't be exquisite,for it doesn't make sense. A2:I hope my homestay hosts are kind and patient ,and don't care money too much .I've been homestayed since I was in Grade 5 in the primery school, most of my hosts are want my parents pay them money while give me the bad quelity of life back . A3:I don't mind whether I live in a single room or live with someone else ,as long as she is easy-going.
    • Before getting to the role plays, we still have to finish the lesson, Katherine; but I can see you are already prepared for the interview! As far as food is concerned, remember it is a foreign country and they don't eat Chinese food! So, you have to go with an open mind and you have to be willing to sacrifice your own preferences if you want to make a success of it. For example, to me personally, South African food is nicer than Chinese food, but I made a decision to be here and to eat and enjoy Chinese food. That was a good decision (a choice) and it works for me! Most homestay parents are screened by the companies organizing the homestays and are usually good-natured people who care for the students. I don't think they would do it for free, but I believe they would look after you and try to make you feel at home. So, you would surely get good value for your money (and besides, most foreigners believe that if you pay for something, you must get value back!). ;-)

• In my opinion, total immersion is a kind of state, that is for any time, devote oneself heart and soul to the loyal to one thing, not to be interfered by other things, into the heart, and I think it is the best method of learning a language, only concentrate on into them, to really learn the real knowledge, thus the harvest. As for whether can if not completely immersed in an English speaking country, I think it is not, because the influence of surrounding environment on people may be more, only one person really into it, can be completely immersed.As for me, if let me, I will choose in an English speaking country, because there is I can learn the local culture, make their own interest, because the interest is the best teacher.
    • Thank you for your comment, Zhang Yingying. I can see you need much more practice to improve your language skills, but I am happy to be able to help you in that (by motivating you to do comments here - reading and writing - and in the classroom giving you the opportunity to listen and speak). However, in one area where I don't need to motivate you to improve, is enthusiasm, as I think you are very enthusiastic and a diligent student (and I am happy to witness that!).

About "complete immersion", I am not sure whether you completely understand it, but it appears you have some idea! For a Chinese student it can only work in another country (an English-speaking country), but not in their own country, obviously, as they shouldn't be able to communicate with others in Chinese while they are in the English environment learning English. If you agree with that, then you understand!

This reply was deleted.