Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Because in the "complete immersion", the learner will have a good environment to study the languages pick up. So it seems a good way to learn a language. And I think "complete immersion" can get more beneficial than without going to an English-speaking country. So if we want to master a language more effectively, we can try to put ourselves in that environment. Make us become more outstanding.
    • Zhao Ziwei, I don't think you understand the phenomenon of "complete immersion" (or maybe you didn't express your opinion about that clear enough for me to understand!). It can only happen if you go to a country where the national language is not the same as your own mother tongue and you intend learning the language of that country. It is like jumping into deep water and while you are under the water, you are completely immersed; so, for that time while you are under the water, you can only rely on the "water world" around you. So, "complete immersion" can't work in China if you want to improve your English!

• In my understanding ,complete immersion means one person immerses himself or herself completly in an another  strange condition just as the person were there all the time. By complete immersion,one can force himself to adapt to everything in a new country,such as culture ,custom ,language and so on. One of most benifical is language learning. If you are in a country whose native language is english,you must communite with others in english .Apparently,it is easy to an  english leaner to command vocabulary,grammar and practise it in daily life.I don't think we can get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" ,if not  going to an English-speaking country.Our native language is Chinese ,and no need speaking other language if we do not go abroad or need  it in our job.Thus,we have little chance to speak english.If we don't leave Chinese and use english in our daily life ,it is hard for us to really command english.Common case is that you can write,read but not say.

• Wow Zhang Min, you made your comment first! Why are you so diligent today?! Btw, it is quite a good comment too; so, thank you for taking the trouble to write a proper comment. :)

I think your understanding of the phenomenon is quite good. The most simplest way to explain a complete immersion into something is to talk about jumping in the lake (or deep sea); while you are under the water, you are completely immersed! So, you can get completely immersed in the UK, but not in China; and a Brit can get completely immersed in China, but not in his own country, in terms of language, so to speak! So, you are right that there can't be any benefits of the "complete immersion" method if one stays in one's own country. Btw, interesting what you wrote about the reason for not having to learn English in China ... So, those students who don't have the ambition or dream to go abroad, or have the goal of working for a international company, may never learn another language. So sad. And of course, those students would be the poorer ...!

P.S. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's class as you and your two friends are doing an English song for the class; something exciting to look forward to!

This reply was deleted.