Week 12b: Friday, 28 November 2014

Video lesson: Encounters in the UK

We'll watch a 17-minute video twice and answer questions about the studying of English by four foreigners in the UK. If you'd like to view the video, it can be found here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/index.htm . Click on "The Learning English Video Project". There are 7 videos in this series and the video on the UK is the first one on the new page. If you can't open the lesson worksheet here, you can click on "classroom material" at the bottom of the video page.

P.S. 1. Cai Huibin, if Long Yuan is not reading here before Monday afternoon, would you please ask him to bring us his computer again? Thank you. If I don't forget, I will remind him too.  :)

P.S. 2. You don't have to watch the video if you don't feel like it; we'll watch it twice in class anyway. As long as you comment on the worksheet (there are even questions that you can answer in your comment if you don't know what to write).

uk-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think the lesson of today must be very interesting,because it is about the Cambridge,it is a very famous university in the UK.I admire them who can go abroad to study.Maybe it will have a hard time,but i also think it will have other harvest.I am looking forward to this lesson.Maybe i will open up my filed of vision.
    • Have you read the worksheet, Yao Zengjun? Well, I hope with you that watching the video today and doing the discussion questions, would open up your mind to this way of mastering the language. It is not easy, I think, but if one has a goal to succeed and persists, one would have success.

• I watched the vedio this morning.And it's more easir to learn English in foriegn country.As the girl in the vedio said,they learned grammer in school and practise in homestay.And the homestay families will help you correct yuor mistakes in spoken English.One girl in the vedio said the worst is to be too shy when you leart English in foriegn country.And i think if you don't try to speak,your English won't improve anymore.
    • I think you are correct, Xu Yang, that it would be easier to learn the language in a foreign (English-speaking country). However, initially it might not be that easy, but if one persists, the breakthroughs would come and it would gradually become easier and more fulfilling.

• Cambridge is a quiet, peaceful, high culture place and the university of Cambridge is located in the beautiful city. In the video, I deeply understand that there are a lot of foreigners who go there to learn English or get degree. Because at the start of the video, I saw at least five Asians, as are all Chinese. To homestay, in my opinion, it is a very helpful and happy thing for a foreigner. But when in the beginning, cultural differences will cause certain obstacles .However,live down there, you will gradually become a member of their home.
    • I agree with you, Liu Weifang, that at first it can't be easy as it is completely new - new environment, new university, new language to receive all your lectures in, new 'family', new friends... It must be an enormous shock to one's system! But, many have gone through that and succeeded, and many would still do that in future. And yes, there would surely be many Chinese students going through that too! A pity they didn't include at least one Chinese student as there are nowadays so many Chinese students studying abroad. But I guess it is because of that one video they made in China with only Chinese students involved (I think it is the third video in this series). I believe studying abroad would always be a good experience.

• I am gana to crazy,for my turnning off my page after hundreds of words I had inputed word by word without submit!
    I just wanted to check how to express a word "绝对的" in English!Now I have to recomment it! it's deep night already,you know,you don't want to try it also,right, my teacher?just jokes!Good morning my teacher!And I am going ahead!
    I had hear about this way called homestay to teach English in the Cambridge university before,from my English teacher in high school.She had been there as a Chinese English teacher to learn how to teach!I am interested in it and feel something new that time.But I didn't know what it was exactly!Now I understand what it is!.it's that some students coming from the other countries live with local family in Cambridge,learning the language English and learning the life.lt really works very much to the students with their English learning .
    What really impressed deeply was the words of the student Michaela Schubert "When live with the "family ",there are two things you should to find a balance place between this two positions,one is to be too shy,and the other is to be too elegant.you should find a balance place between them and find your confidence. "And she said "You couldn't bring your own culture there and live in your own world.You should be open to the local cultureand life,then it make it easier to learn things you know,a language!"
    I say yes!when we are learning a kind of language,we are learning a kind of culture,isn't it ?

• Luo Yuanyuan, firstly I am sorry to read about your bad fortune regarding losing your post after nearly finishing it. I really have understanding for what you have experienced. Can I give you some consolation in your distress?! It happened to me many times before, and it is still happening! Yes, maybe I can write English easier and find the words easier, but it is still a big frustration to lose one's comments because of a problem with one's computer, or with the website. As you probably have noticed by now, I try to reply to each student's comment. Sometimes I have long replies (especially with one of my other classes from International Trade as they would often give longer comments and need longer responses from me). So, rest assured that I have lost quite a number of my longer comments before! I hate that! So, nowadays I save most of my comments in a file on my computer before I hit the "Add Reply" button here! That has frequently saved me lots of completed work (though it is not guaranteed to work every time)! So, know that I understand what you had to endure. :(

Secondly, this is another good comment from you (like some in the past). So, thank you for that too! I appreciate that some students really put such good efforts in to comment. And I know that it also benefits the students who do that! ;-)

Thank you for sharing about your Chinese teacher who'd been there to learn further about teaching. I wonder if you are not referring to Ma Zhihui (as I know he's been in the UK for about 2 years and a few months to study and improve his English)?! His English is quite good, I think (though I think he's losing some of his skills as he's not speaking English sufficiently these days)! But I guess it is not him you are referring to, as you said the teacher is female! Haha, now I noticed it was while you had been in High school - so, it can't be Ma Zhihui! :)

Yes, I agree that Michaela had good advice for future students; specially the one about the culture. One doesn't have to adopt the other (new) culture as one's own, as one has your own culture (and it can never be taken away from one), but I think what she meant, was that one must be open to the other culture and be prepared to learn from it. Well, I am not sure whether learning a language is also learning the culture at the same time! I know many people have that opinion (like my own Chinese tutor!), but I personally can't completely agree with that. I have been studying the Chinese language for around 4 to 5 years now (I read that it takes the average foreigner around 8 years of continuous study to speak only conversational Chinese!), but I haven't become more Chinese now because of that! I will always have my South African culture and character traits despite living in China for quite a number of years. Living in a country doesn't (and can't) determine one's culture! But I guess if one is open to learn, one can learn the positives about a culture (and likewise, one can be careful not to learn the negative aspects of the culture!). I've enjoyed reading your comment very much! ;-)

•  I edited it yesterday night,as I ran out of my computer battery,I have to submitted at this time,it is awkward!

• 2393781232?profile=original

This reply was deleted.