Week 12b: Friday, 28 November 2014

Video lesson: Encounters in the UK

We'll watch a 17-minute video twice and answer questions about the studying of English by four foreigners in the UK. If you'd like to view the video, it can be found here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/index.htm . Click on "The Learning English Video Project". There are 7 videos in this series and the video on the UK is the first one on the new page. If you can't open the lesson worksheet here, you can click on "classroom material" at the bottom of the video page.

P.S. 1. Cai Huibin, if Long Yuan is not reading here before Monday afternoon, would you please ask him to bring us his computer again? Thank you. If I don't forget, I will remind him too.  :)

P.S. 2. You don't have to watch the video if you don't feel like it; we'll watch it twice in class anyway. As long as you comment on the worksheet (there are even questions that you can answer in your comment if you don't know what to write).

uk-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think homestay is a better choice for some foreign students.It has some advantages as follows.First,it can reduce our fianance pressure and we can have a more happy life in there.Second,it is the best way for us to learn about the local cluture to live with them,meanwhile it will benifit a lot for our English.Third,they can help us if we have some problems,we will not be anxious when we meet problems.
    students.it - students Resources and Information.
    students.it is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find…
    • Well, I agree with your last two points, YXY, but I am not sure whether your first one is correct as studying abroad is a very expensive exercise! Did you know it costs around $200 000 to study in the UK for one year (though it is much more expensive to study in the US and some other big countries)? Maybe it'll reduce your own financial pressure, but the financial pressure on the parents would be enormous!

• i am sorry i can not open the video ,i have read the synopsis .Guo Hongtai ,Zhang Min and me live in a dorm . tomorrow .i will use zhang min's computer to  try it again. 

• Li Xinlan, you don't have to watch the video before class today - I didn't say that! Read the worksheet in the attachment (or ask Cai Huibin to send you a copy) and then you have sufficient information to comment. And have you prepared Tara's News ...? And don't forget the song you girls are going to perform for us ...

• Four coming from different countries girls gathered in the same house and lived together,i know it according to the video.There is no doubt that they must have argue and more happiness of course.However,steady friendship is the finally outcome.It is fortunate that they have such experience and unforgetable memory.I hope that i can experience it someday.
    • Well, Jiang Dan, change your hope to a dream and start dreaming about studying abroad! And then start working toward the fulfillment of your dream! If you can find the finances, then the dream is possible. I think finances would be the biggest stumbling block for such a big dream; but it is possible!

• I still can't see the video,so I just read the passage.It tells me that the video is about the story of four girls from different countries who travel to Cambridge in England to study English and stay with local families in what it called a "homestay".I am looking forward to tomorrow,to see the video and know what is "homestay" and the story of the girls.

• Firstly, Guo Hongtai, I'm looking forward to listen to your song today (or to the combined song by you and Zhang Min and Li Xinlan)! If one of them is absent today, we'll listen to them at the next class they would attend! But I have a question: What is the 'passage' you are referring to that you have read? Do you mean only what I wrote in the lesson post? What about the worksheet then (the attachment)? If you haven't even read the worksheet (Cai Huibin should have also sent you a copy), then you don't know what the lesson is about for today, apart from what you've noticed your classmates have written. I hope I am wrong!

• Cambridge is a very famous university in China .It's a place that many sudents want to study.To tell the truth .The first time that I heard this university is in a poem"Saying Good-bye to Cambridge Again" written by a Chinese poet called Zhimo Xu.It's a very beautiful and intoxicated poem.So I am very curious about these details of Cambridge.I also want to known how the abroad students study and live in foriegn country .It must be a bitter sweet journy.
    • Well, maybe the video today would give you some answers to your questions, Kay. Why do you say it might be a bitter-sweet experience? Yes, it won't be easy and would take a lot of courage, but it would be very rewarding and a great experience. Interesting that a Chinese poet has introduced you to Cambridge first. I am surprised about that. Btw, have you read through the worksheet ...?

This reply was deleted.