Week 12b: Friday, 28 November 2014

Video lesson: Encounters in the UK

We'll watch a 17-minute video twice and answer questions about the studying of English by four foreigners in the UK. If you'd like to view the video, it can be found here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/index.htm . Click on "The Learning English Video Project". There are 7 videos in this series and the video on the UK is the first one on the new page. If you can't open the lesson worksheet here, you can click on "classroom material" at the bottom of the video page.

P.S. 1. Cai Huibin, if Long Yuan is not reading here before Monday afternoon, would you please ask him to bring us his computer again? Thank you. If I don't forget, I will remind him too.  :)

P.S. 2. You don't have to watch the video if you don't feel like it; we'll watch it twice in class anyway. As long as you comment on the worksheet (there are even questions that you can answer in your comment if you don't know what to write).

uk-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lily, if I am an outsider (meaning somebody that doesn't know what this lesson is about), do you think I would know what the lesson is about when I read your comment? I am not convinced.

• For me, the UK is a very beautiful country. And in my impression, the British are also gentlemanlike. Moreover, I think Cambridge is also a very vivid university. If I went to England,I would crush on the British landscape. However,I will be trapped by the language too.It is always my wish to take a look at the UK.If I have a opportunity to go to the UK, I think, that will be a good experience.
    • Oh, so you would get a crush on the British scenery rather than on a British boy, Xu Heyun?! Haha, I'm kidding; but I do believe that the UK and even the countries of Europe are all incredibly beautiful. Oh, I just noticed now that you would be infatuated by the British language too! I also have a dream to see the UK and Europe before my time on this earth is coming to an end, but my time is running our fast (in comparison with my students who all still have many years to realize their dreams!). Maybe we can go together! Haha, don't bet on that as it is an expensive undertaking! But, if you have this wish, start dreaming! ;-)

• I have been watching this video. To be honest, I did't konw many about Cambridge , only that it is the world famous universities. Through this video, I seem to have some new feeling of Cambridge, the first of its environment is very beautiful, very quiet, and students from all over the world, in Cambridge, learning should be a thing to enjoy. Secondly, I am very interested in homestay, foreign students live with local families, you can feel the different culture,practice you english, while has been well cared for, this is what I am longing for.
    • If you are longing to have this, Zhang Ke, start dreaming it! Everything starts with a dream, or setting goals. A man once said: "If you don't have a plan for your life, somebody else will make a plan with your life". So, before that happens, plan your life yourself! I can assure you it would be a life-changing experience which you may never regret. And a homestay experience is much more rewarding than living in a dormitory in the foreign country as you are surrounded with a family that normally would care for you. Start dreaming ..! ;-)

• After watching the 17-minute video,what impressed me is that the students can stay in a homestay.They give the homestay students everying,even help them to clean their rooms,have different activities and wash their clothes.I think it is so wonderful for me.They can be really members of the families.I am envious of the homestay students.
    • Maybe you must start dreaming of doing this yourself one day, Xi Rui ..?! If you are serious about mastering the English language, this is a sure way of achieving that! But, it must start as a dream in your heart first ... And you'll get another bonus when doing that - you'll get another family loving you and caring for you!

• After watch the short movie I learn about that Cambrige Unitversty is a very beautiful, peacful and fancinating place .Everyone in the school love it very much ,they study english at there and sleep in the ehomestay.The host of homestay are very hot heart they also help this students learn english .So after see  that I also want to go Cambrige

• Well Wang Xiaoxu, if you want to do it too, start dreaming about it! Pse read my quotations to your friend, Helen, as it all applies to you too. "If you can dream it, you can do it"!

• I watched this video.There is a scene impressed me.When asked what is the homestay,A man says it is basically a language student coming to live with a British family,be integrated into the family,and immerse themselves in English to help them learn.I think it is really important for some students.And it is also a very meaningful experience.
This reply was deleted.