Week 12b: Friday, 28 November 2014

Video lesson: Encounters in the UK

We'll watch a 17-minute video twice and answer questions about the studying of English by four foreigners in the UK. If you'd like to view the video, it can be found here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/index.htm . Click on "The Learning English Video Project". There are 7 videos in this series and the video on the UK is the first one on the new page. If you can't open the lesson worksheet here, you can click on "classroom material" at the bottom of the video page.

P.S. 1. Cai Huibin, if Long Yuan is not reading here before Monday afternoon, would you please ask him to bring us his computer again? Thank you. If I don't forget, I will remind him too.  :)

P.S. 2. You don't have to watch the video if you don't feel like it; we'll watch it twice in class anyway. As long as you comment on the worksheet (there are even questions that you can answer in your comment if you don't know what to write).

uk-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It looks like you know very well what today's lesson will be about, Song Guangxia. I hope you can practice your language sufficiently today to make the lesson meaningful to you. Maybe it can enhance your vision for English!

• Got it!I am going to review the videoes now!

• Luo Yuanyuan, you are welcome if you have the time to watch the video. However, we'll watch it twice tomorrow in class. As long as you read the worksheet and comment on that, I am okay with that. But, of course, if you feel like watching the video, I have no objection to that! Just remember to return to comment! ;-)

• I watched the video by downloading it to my computer ,from the video,I knew the story is about four girls from different countries who travel to Cambridge in England to study English and stay with local families in what is called a "homestay" arrangement.I think the experiences about the four girls are really good and fascinating.GOing to Cambridge ,and staying with host families,for the four girls ,it is not only practice their English ,but also learn ahout life.It is really a great experience,I really hope that I can have a chance to go abroad to study.
    And from the video ,I also learn that the Cambridge is a peaceful city and the people there are really lovely,and the host families are really kind to the four girls,they help the girls to practice their English and make them feel like at home.I learn some good advise about learning English abroad ,too.The first is dont be too shy,just communicate with native speakers,and dont afraid of making mistakes.The second is dont bring your own culture and other things when you learn English in other country,and it is good for you to learn English well
    • Thank you for a very good comment, Amy. Why do you give me such a good comment?! You make the teacher's heart beat warmly! I will hope together with you that one day you may get this opportunity as it will mean so much in your life as a student. And you will become mature much quicker than staying in your home country all the time. I wish I can send every Chinese student abroad for studies and get some life experience which they would never get here. But, of course it is an expensive exercise and currently only the rich families can afford to send their children abroad.

I've never been to Europe, but it is my greatest dream to go there one day before my life ends here! And I would like to see England and Cambridge too! The European cultures are also old cultures and I read and heard that it is wonderful to experience that. I am glad that you have already gotten some good advice from the video! Those two issues you have listed are quite important if one wants to adapt easier and make a success of a homestay. Well done! :)

• After watching this short video, I know it the four girls who come from different places live in the same house accidentaly across the story. I think this is a very precious experience. However,at the first time when they had entered the house ,it is sure they feel lonely and can't adapt to the life. Because they come from different places and received different education and culture. But it is still a good exercise and experience.
    • Thank you for the comment, Hui Ying. But are you sure you watched the video?! In the video I have about this lesson, the girls stay in different homes ...! And they havr interviews with more than one homestay parent. Eventually they would adapt to the new life - if they want to. Some students never adapt as they don't really want to change their own habits while in the foreign country; it's then their choice. But if they are open to change, they will make life much more pleasant to themselves.

• Imagining foreigners in UK,maybe it is easier for them to study english.Because most of people around them speak english.They can practice their oral english quickly.But they may feel lonely,because people are strangers to them.So that they should be accustomed to atmosphere as soon as possible,and improve their level.
    • Thank you for your comment, Ying Haiyang. Yes, it is a quick way to learn English, but rest assured, it is not easy! However, if one has decided on this way, it can be very satisfactory later. Homestay parents and their families would befriend the student as that is part of these projects; so, you will have some friends (if you want to make friends)!

• After reading, I have a deep feeling. Because for a long-distance, outside school us what things to themselves, and it is a challenge to our ability, go out in the outside not only need to take good care of yourself, also want to pay attention to other things. Learn how to live by yourself, the host family is a kind of mode of foreign countries, in the host should not only relationship between number and the master, but also to learn, dealing with the relationship between interpersonal.
This reply was deleted.