Week 12b: Friday, 28 November 2014

Video lesson: Encounters in the UK

We'll watch a 17-minute video twice and answer questions about the studying of English by four foreigners in the UK. If you'd like to view the video, it can be found here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/index.htm . Click on "The Learning English Video Project". There are 7 videos in this series and the video on the UK is the first one on the new page. If you can't open the lesson worksheet here, you can click on "classroom material" at the bottom of the video page.

P.S. 1. Cai Huibin, if Long Yuan is not reading here before Monday afternoon, would you please ask him to bring us his computer again? Thank you. If I don't forget, I will remind him too.  :)

P.S. 2. You don't have to watch the video if you don't feel like it; we'll watch it twice in class anyway. As long as you comment on the worksheet (there are even questions that you can answer in your comment if you don't know what to write).

uk-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, they refer to that kind of experience as 'total immersion', Hong Jingjing. It is never easy, but it is very rewarding and a student is nearly guaranteed of mastering the English language much quicker than usual. But, it'll take courage! Walt Disney said: "If you can dream it, you can do it"!

• Because of no way to download the video, so I did not see it. But I'm looking forward to tomorrow's class to watch the video. The Cambridge university is the dream of many students. And in my oppion, we will study more English if we live in the UK. But going to the abroad is not easy to implement for us .
    • Zhao Ziwei, I didn't say that students must watch the video. I said they CAN if they want to. BUT, I also said that they should read the worksheet before they comment. So, you have no excuse - if you couldn't open the attachment to this lesson to see the worksheet, I sent a copy to Cai Huibin via qq and you could get the attachment from her. So, I can't give you any marks for this comment (except if you can convince me that you did read through the worksheet).

• After watching the video ,i am also want to go to the Cambridge to learn english.I also want to live in a homstay.Because those students said it is helpful to learn english .And i think the hoster is very nice.If we want to learn english well,we need to open ourselves and accept the new cluture.That is what i learnd from the video.
    • Thank you for preparing yourself for the lesson, Hou Jialei. If you really want to do that too, start dreaming big! Pse read the quotations I gave to Helen above (comment just before yours), about dreams. Of course, some homestays may not be so nice as we don't live in a perfect world; but most families giving up their names for this project, are families who'd like to accept the student as one of the family and let them always feel welcome and 'at home'. So, if you really think this is worth it, start dreaming big! ;-)

• The School of Cambridge is a foreign school.It is lied in the UK.As for us,it is a wonderful place to study.And there are a lot of students spare no efforts to enter the famous school.In order to achieve their dream they will not regret to spend plenty of time to study.I also have a dream which is that i want to further my study at aboard.But hold the applause.Going aboard need a lot of  courage.Such as, we need to get over the difficult conditions.Maybe if we want to go aboard we need think back and forth.More to the point,we should consider it seriously.Hoping we can achieve our dreams.

• Well Helen, I'm not going to hold back my applause for you as such a big dream deserves applause already! Walt Disney (have you heard of him - the 'father' of Disneyland) once said: "If you can DREAM it, you can do it"! And Mike Horn (South African adventurer) said: "A life without challenges, is no life. If your DREAMS do not scare you, Then they aren't big enough"!

So, don't be scared to follow your dream! You appear to me as a little girl with lots of courage (really!). I believe you can do it! Now you must just start to believe in yourself! I think the biggest challenge for Chinese students to study abroad, is not lack of courage or motivation; I think it is finances as it is a very expensive exercise. So, let's trust that somehow you can meet that challenge ...!

And a last motivation to you to plan your life and not allow others to derail you: Heyneke Meyer (highly successful coach of the South African national rugby football team) once said: "If you don't have a plan for your life, somebody else will make a plan with your life. DREAM big, because big dreams stir a person's blood"! ;-)

• I have watch the video,I have looked forward to the life of cambridge university,I like the study atmosphere in the cambridge,students can research what they want to know and be absorbed in the progress.If I could have a chance to go abroad,I believe I would grasp and enjoy the experience.As for the homestay,I think it is the second home when we are outside,on the one hand,we can improve our English because we have to speak English with them,listen to them and practise all the time, it is different from learning English in class.On the other hand,we can feel the sincere emotion the family bring us,we learn how to blend into the family and try to become a member of the family rather than complain the lifestyle which is different from our own country,I think it's not a bad thing,because we can open our eyes,make more and more friends.
    • Thank you for a very good comment, Li Yaze. These were your own words and your own thoughts and it is clear that you understand the essence of this lesson very well. Thank you for putting such an effort. Students like you make teachers proud! I think many Chinese students have the desire to break out of the current education system that is like  prison to them and be exposed to other education systems that grant them freedom to choose how they will plan and live their lives. But the reality is unfortunately that most students can't do that because of only one major stumbling block - finances (as it is a very costly affair only few parents can afford). So, I hope with you that you may get such a chance in your life before you get past that stage to study. Such an experience would not only enhance your English skills and help you to master the language, but it'll make a student very mature quickly. And then there is the bonus of getting another family that care for you and get to love you. A great experience, as you have seen now from those four students. :)

• <<Encounters in the UK>> describe four grils who come from different countryies to study english the Cambridge and live with the local familise,so the family is called homestay,Homestay provide food ,accommodation,laundry,everything and converation for student,it not only help the student's life and practice the english accent ,but also let them learn to live the life ,you should adopt to the different the life ,
This reply was deleted.