Week 12b: Friday, 28 November 2014

Video lesson: Encounters in the UK

We'll watch a 17-minute video twice and answer questions about the studying of English by four foreigners in the UK. If you'd like to view the video, it can be found here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/index.htm . Click on "The Learning English Video Project". There are 7 videos in this series and the video on the UK is the first one on the new page. If you can't open the lesson worksheet here, you can click on "classroom material" at the bottom of the video page.

P.S. 1. Cai Huibin, if Long Yuan is not reading here before Monday afternoon, would you please ask him to bring us his computer again? Thank you. If I don't forget, I will remind him too.  :)

P.S. 2. You don't have to watch the video if you don't feel like it; we'll watch it twice in class anyway. As long as you comment on the worksheet (there are even questions that you can answer in your comment if you don't know what to write).

uk-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,I come back to my dorm too late this night,and it's going to be the time we have no electricity or wifi,so although I really want to see the video,I have no time to do that,but I can think about what it will be like.Maybe it mostly the video we have seen on the class some days ago,and when it comes to this topic,I really agree with that we should go abroad to learn English if we want to take it as ourselves,because the environment of language can influence us deeply.That's all.
    • Katrina, did you read my what I wrote in the lesson post? If you did, you would have noticed that I said it is not necessary to watch the video as we would watch it twice in class today. But I also said that students should read the worksheet before commenting. It is clear to me that you didn't. So, I can't give you marks for this comment.

• After I listened the news,I think that we should not pull the noisy suitcases along the streets.It is our duty to try our best to protect the environment.The noise pollution is so important,we must be sensible to it.
    In my opinion,the four girls are so lucky.They have chance to learn English in Cambridge.I advice they to adapt the situations as soon as possible.It is a good exercise.
    http://streets.It/
    • Haha, Lu Wenjun, that would never, ever work in China! And if they introduce such a law here, do you really think the people would care about that?! But, thank you for reminding the class that it is Tara's News today! I wonder how many have listened ...?! I guess we'll determine that later today! Yes, those girls were very fortunate to have studied in Cambridge and experienced the homestays. But, if I remember correctly, they are all from other European countries; so, it didn't cost them that much to do that. If one does the same exercise from China, I read that it would cost in the vicinity of $200 000 per year! So, it's an expensive undertaking, though very rewarding and a great experience.

•  I watched the video, and got some harvest. my dream is going abroad to study, see the lives of students at the university of Cambridge, I feel very interesting. Homestay is a good example, not only can help students to adapt to life abroad, can also help them learn English, and give them the warmth of family.  
    • Btw Sarah, did you remember to send the worksheet as an attachment to all the students? It appears to me that not all of them have read through the worksheet and don't really know what the lesson is about apart from what they read their classmates have commented.

• Well, if that is your dream, Sarah, start working toward fulfillment! Or is it just going to remain a dream?! Maybe it would shock you, but studies have proven over many years that girls with boyfriends (and of course those with husbands), seldom realize their dreams for themselves ... Most (if not all) of the time, they have to sacrifice their dreams for that of their boyfriends, or their husbands. I would always advise girls not to get involved with bf's too early (or even marry too early), except if they don't have more ambition than getting married and look after the children and the husband one day. Okay, that may also be a noble task (bringing up the children), but lately I believe that girls too have the the right to pursue careers or at least be allowed to realize their short-term dreams before starting a family. But if they marry too soon, it is over as only very few men (if any) would allow their wives to also follow her career (they want kids and want preference to their own careers and dreams). So, the girls of today have big decisions to make. Good luck with yours; may your dreams for yourself come true one day! ;-)

• The Cambridge University is world-famous ,maybe I can't study in there ,but I want to visit it one day.I think study English in abroad(its native language is English) will be easier ,because you will speak English all the time ,live with a local family is helpful,just like the four girls in the video.
    • Yes, the reality is that only few students can study abroad, Huo Meng. And actually I think it is sad in a sense, as the students are so overwhelmed by their own country and culture that only few are really aware of another life outside their own countries! I wish it would have been a prerequisite (an obligation) to all students to spend at least one year of their studies abroad before they can graduate ... but of course, that is just wishful thinking (as it would never happen)! It would not only help to master the English language quicker, but it'll give life experience and maturity that would take years longer to achieve in one's known environment in one's own country.

• After looking this video,i was verey happy .In my hart i want a place like that ,every body like eachother ,and everone is revey kind,sometimes i do not like people all have their own world .I want we can live like famliy .And happy every day .
This reply was deleted.