Week 12a: Monday, 24 November 2014

Big Town: Students to assume the personalities of the residents of the city of Big Town and tell about their lives. Identity cards would be handed out in class. The second exercise would be to practice giving directions to get to the different buildings in Big Town city.

Big Town game rules.rtf

Bigtown Mapsmall.gif

Bigtown Map.gif

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Role play seems popular this days, and I am really look forward to tomorrow’s game, because I think my communication ability is dying to improve. This time we’ll play one part of a city called “BIG TOWN”, and this game can help us with asking the directions in a city, that’s very useful.
    • Well, this time your comment is quite early! We'll not only practice giving directions, but as the game rules say, the residents first have to accept their roles and introduce themselves. So, you and mr Xu would have ample time to practice your communication!

Btw, you don't have to bring your computer to the first class this week (but I'll remind you for the second class on Friday!).

• WOOH!It's so exciting we'll play a game,I like play this kind of games ,such as Who is spy and killing game.In the Who is spy I need to describe,convincing others believe that I am in the same side,although I'm in the opposite sometimes. Killing game is kind of role play game ,every one would have a role card ,killer killing person in the first night ,other person need to figure out who is killer and kill him. I'm looking forward to play our games .
    • Well, this is fortunately not a killing game and no one has to be killed! I'll hand out the personality cards in class and each one has to memorize her/his new personality. I'm still deciding about how to do this as a game as the original game according to the game rules, may be somehow confusing. I'll see tomorrow!

• I have read the Big Town game rules,it is very interesting.I have played a game which is similar to this before,so i have confidence to play it well.It is a game that people have their personal information.In this game we should communicate with other students all the time.And in this game we also have a map,we may help the people to find the right way,it can practice giving directions and explaining location of this game,it also train our ability ofcommunication.I am looking forward to playing it on Monday.
    • I'm still contemplating whether we should do this as a game as the game rules suggest, as it can become quite chaotic if the students have to move around in the class (that classroom is quite small and the chairs are fixed). So, I'm not sure yet. But I still think taking on another personality may make it a little amusing. Let's wait and see!

• I have read the worksheet and map,it will be a interesting game I think.When we play the game with each other ,the game will help us improve conversational English and have fun.We can speak in English and think in English ,that's fine.
    • I'm worried it may become a little boring, but taking on the role and character of another person (I'll hand out the characters in class) may provide some amusement. I still have to decide on the way to do it. Btw, thank you for giving the news report so correctly and clearly in class last week. Some students know how to make a teacher's heart warm ..! ;-)

• Sounds interesting to play this game next class!!!I like this kind of games very much .Such as "The Mueder Game""Who is Undercover"...In these role play games you have to become another person and do many interesting jobs and conversations.In fact I had played this game beore this class(maby it is just very resemble) But the big diffirent is I play this game online.So I am excited about that we can play this game in the real life.Wish I could do well in this game .
    http://conversations.In/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • As I said to Zhao Ziwei, I'm not sure whether we'll do this exercise as a game as I think it may be too impractical. But taking on the personality of another person (I'll hand out the personality cards in class) and then introduce yourself and answer questions, may create enough amusement to those who really want to practice their speaking skills. So, let's see tomorrow!

This reply was deleted.