Week 11b: Friday, 21 November 2014

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

Students, pse look at the worksheet before you comment.

P.S. Long Yuan, can I ask you to bring your computer to class, please?!

(2) Discussing the wear of school uniforms. Pse look at the worksheet first before your comments.

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

M - W11b - Discussion - School uniforms.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gina, love is much more than just a feeling of warmth! It is a profound emotion deep within all humans that need much care and sensitivity to allow it to come to its full potential in us! Today's humans have degraded love to flirtatious relationships and Hollywood has succeeded to take the beauty completely out of love. But you wouldn't know as you are so young ... ;-)

• I listened to The Rose by Westlife.Their voices blend together well and this song sounds wonderful.I especially enjoyed a very significant sentence which is ‘Lies the seed that with the sun's love,In the spring becomes the rose’.It suits not only the love but also our daily life.

About the uniform,there must be some students who believe the requirement of the school uniform is killing the individuality of the youth and schools should show greater appreciation of individual difference instead of encouraging conformity.
    But no matter what others' opinion is, today, I will say that the school uniform is absolutely necessary for the high school students.
    It can save money, getting away of comparison, no chasing brand product. More importantly, students can focus on their study better.
    By the way,how nice my elementary school uniform is!It consists of a trabeculate tie, a white shirt and a sky-blue skirt.
    • The version by Westlife is very good, I agree Shelly; but my favourite version is sung by the Japanese singer, Asi Teshima. I'll let you listen to both versions today and you can judge for yourself. ;-) That lyric you have singled out, is a very beautiful and profound one. So, love is like a seed (that hasn't germinated yet) and with much care (giving it water and good soil, etc), it develops into something beautiful ... like a rose! :)

Your reasons for wearing school uniforms are good reasons and are all valid, Shelly. And you were fortunate to have had a beautiful school uniform as many students have complained about that! Here in Xingcheng I've seen many of that and I must admit that it didn't always look that good to me (specially not the wearing of track suits - though probably very comfortable in summer). But I am not sure that the wearing of those uniforms can suppress the individuality (including character development) of a student. In my country they wear school uniforms too and most students' individual characters are still getting developed. Something else is 'killing' individual character development among students. :)

• After listening to the music, what impressed me deeply is that love is a flower,it just like seed that need us take care of it with patience,and I really admire the person who can sings well.

When talking about the uniform,I think our school can let us design our uniform by ourselves,so that we can improve the ability of creation. Nowadays university,I think, should develop our imagination when we are students. 

• Helen, you haven't replied to my question to you for the Week 10b-lesson of 14 November.

Yes, if love is like a flower, it needs loving care to preserve it ... you are right. But I understand love can also break ... So, we must handle it with care too as it can be fragile!

• WOW I had heared "the rose" before this class.The tune of this song is very beautiful. But I didn't think about the meanning of the lyrics.From this class I think I will deepen the understanding of love and this song.
    I think school uniforms for Chinese students is not only the clothes but also the memory of their youth!The teacher required us must wear school uniforms or we may break the school rules.And we also have three sets of school uniforms for spring summer and winter.At that time all the students in my class are not willing to wear the school unniforms although it is cheap and convienient .But in fact I miss the time to wear uniforms very much now.
    http://winter.At/
    • I also think the wearing of school uniforms are more advantageous to students than not having to wear them. But I think that wearing three different uniforms during one year is adding too much pressure on the students' finances (or their parents')! One set for winter and one for summer should be the limit - that's the norm in most schools, I understand. And you were lucky that your uniforms were cheap, as many other students said it was too expensive! So, Kay, do you miss wearing a uniform, or is it only those times back in school that you miss? If it is the former, we can always ask the university to introduce a university uniform ..! :)

• At junior high school , our school requires wear school uniforms, school uniforms iscomposed of two parts,one of what is a simple dark baggy pants, others is a black and white long sleeved jacket. Of course is in the winter. A very common styles, I wore four years. I quite agree with a point in the article that uniform prevent students from being judged based on clothing.Although it has limited the development of students' characters, also avoid the students to care too much about the appearance and increased students' vanity. So I think it is quite necessary to wear school uniforms.
    The song was good, it is the theme of love, touting the positive energy, in my opinion.
    • Thank you for your comment, Zhang Ke; you have done some good thinking! I am also for the wearing of school uniforms as the advantages are much more. Yes, girls wouldn't judge one another (as they all wear the same clothing), but they would also not distract the boys (you know how some girls dress these days to be noticed by the guys!). So, the baggy pants and jackets also help to not put any emphasis on the physical bodies. But I don't think the wearing of uniforms limit students' character development. In my country school uniforms are also compulsory, but individual students still develop their own characters. It is something else that suppress the development of a student. ;-)

• The Rose is a pleasant song,ang I prefer You Raise Me Up.
    In china,most shcools ask thier students wear uniforms.But the uniforms are ugly and fit badly.In some schools,the uniforms are expensive too.And teachers say that wearing uniforms can prevent students from comparing unrealistically.
    But students in china don't like uniforms,neither do I.
    badly.in - This website is for sale! - Badly Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! badly.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what y…
This reply was deleted.