Week 11b: Friday, 21 November 2014

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

Students, pse look at the worksheet before you comment.

P.S. Long Yuan, can I ask you to bring your computer to class, please?!

(2) Discussing the wear of school uniforms. Pse look at the worksheet first before your comments.

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

M - W11b - Discussion - School uniforms.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Huo Meng, I am surprised that you could open the file to listen to the song I have uploaded here, because most students say they can't do that. However, I must apologize for a mistake I made ... The version I have uploaded is by the Japanese singer, Asi Teshima, and not Bette Midler (though it is still my favourite version of the song!).

• Hello, John, I am fangxue, because my computer can't get into the site, later I will use Hong Jingjing comment,I'm very sorry no comments previous I think this is a good song ,melody is soothing But I didn't Love Lyrics I don't understand it. love is a good thing maybe it will bring you happiness may hurt you ,But also we everyone longing for things
    • I am glad that Hong Jingjing is assisting you, Fang Xue; convey my appreciation to her! And welcome to the group comments! Please remember to do your comments weekly (maybe Hong Jingjing will remind you!). The lyrics are so beautiful; ask Hong Jingjing or one of your other roommates to explain it to you.

I agree with you about the wearing of school uniforms. If they are allowed to wear private clothes, they would often want to compete with the Jones', and they would forget about their studies!

• I have listened this song,the voice is so exquisite.I want to learn it.
    I also read the worksheet,i have wear the uniform for 12 years.I really don not like uniform,it is very simple,and the color is simple too.But it also has advangtage for students,it prevents students from being judged based on clothing.But if the uniform is beautiful,i think i will love to wearing it.
    • Yes, I guess if the uniforms are more beautiful, the students wouldn't mind to wear them. Maybe that's the biggest problem with the uniforms!

• I listen to this song.It is very nice.I like the definition of Love is a river that drowns the tender reed.Because I think there are a lot of people believe the love, and is willing to sink, as immersed in the river reed .
    I think when I was in high school, we should wear uniforms, because the high school period, our main task is to learn, so that you can avoid we waste time in the selection of clothes.When entering the University, we don't need to wear the school uniforms, because the university we need not only to learn, but also learn to beautify yourself, after all, the first impression is very important.
    SONG.IT
    • I think you are right, Hong Jingjing, that one's main goal or task at school is to study. Boys don;t worry much about clothes, but if they would allow the girls the freedom to choose their own clothes, it would turn into a fashion parade every day! So, now they can do that at university. But why do the girls want to beautify themselves when at university? Shouldn't they also concentrate on their studies? Or would the studies for girls not be important? Do you mean girls are not at university to study, but to catch boys to get married after university ...?! :)

• I think The Rose is so sweet.I loved Westlife since I was in my senior high school.I love their songs for example You Raise Me Up which was taught by my English teacher in my high school.
    Since my primary school,I have weared many kinds of school uniforms.In fact I like the students to wear same clothes.Because I think that will make everything harmonious.Uniforms are cheaper than designer clothes.And students with uniforms still can express their individuality.In my high school,some students with uniforms painted on their uniforms.And the paintings are beautiful and vivid.
    http://uniforms.In/
    • That song by Westlife you are referring to, is of course also a great song, Xu Rui. But their version of "The Rose" is outstanding too (though I like the version by Asi Teshima more).

I didn't know the schools would allow their students to paint on their uniforms! That must be interesting; I wonder what do they paint on their uniforms?! Did you do that too, Xi Rui?! You an tell me in class tomorrow!

• "Lies the seed that with the sun's love,In the spring becomes the rose."How romantic the lyrics are ! There is a kind of optimism in the song that I heard just now.And listening to music always can make people relaxed.
    lt's necessary that students wear uniforms at school.l agree that school uniforms create a sence of community in a school.And if all students wear uniforms consciously , the phenomenon of comparing with each other will not happen.On the other hand, uniforms will make students build up deep emotion to their school.School uniform is a sign of youth,I think.After graduating from high school,students don't have any chance to wear uniforms,they can choose all kinds of clothes to wear,so that they can show their individuality freely.But by then many of them may miss the feeling of wearing uniforms,miss the life in school.
This reply was deleted.