Week 11b: Friday, 21 November 2014

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

Students, pse look at the worksheet before you comment.

P.S. Long Yuan, can I ask you to bring your computer to class, please?!

(2) Discussing the wear of school uniforms. Pse look at the worksheet first before your comments.

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

M - W11b - Discussion - School uniforms.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I guess you meant that you enjoyed listening to the song very much, Men Yaqiong, right?! Yes, the lyrics are beautiful and I like the way you described the melody as being 'graceful'. Interesting that you didn't like the wearing of the school uniform, but you still think it is a good thing to do! :)

• From my point of view, it is necessary to let students wearing the same uniforms,just like the news saying ,it can make students pay more attentions on study, the same uniforms avoid the waste of energy on the dress,also avoid the mutual comparison between classmates.In my high school,the teacher asked us to wear uniforms every day,We may complain,but we have to admit that it is best to stdents.

• Yes, I agree with you that the wearing of school uniforms is the better way and more advantageous to the students.

• i think it necessary for student to wear the same school uniforms.Firstly,wearing the school uniform is able to make students have a good attitude towards study life.inaddition,in other to attract other's attention,students will spend more money to purcher beautiful clothes,which will bring parents heavey burtden
    • Welcome to your EC group, Lyn! I am pleasantly surprised! Thank you. I think you are right that the wearing of private clothing would place an unnecessary (and even unfair) burden on parents who already have to pay for different issues regarding their child's involvement with school. Btw, I notice that neither you and Tiffany have commented on the first part of the lesson about the love song, "The Rose". Does it mean you both don't believe in love, or are both fearful of that thing called love ...?! I'm just wondering; but I guess we'll find out in class today! :)

• I have read those lyrics about love ,i have no idea about that.I think love is positive,love can make two people more aspirant,sometimes ,it maybe hurts,may be disappointing,but for ture love is temporary.

• Li Xinlan, I don't understand why you said that "true love is temporary"? How can that be? Do you mean that true love doesn't exist? Or, do you mean it can only exist for a short while, and then it disappears? Or are you referring to the phenomenon that young people fall in love, get married and get a child, and after a few years the love disappears and there is no more love between wife and husband? If that is what you meant, I am sorry to understand that. Because that is not the norm - meaning that is not normal (even if you see that all around you, it is still abnormal) as it shouldn't be like that. The right way is that people should only marry for love (meaning they love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together); any other reason to marry, is wrong (like pleasing parents, or wanting a rich man who can look well after the parents, or falling pregnant and not believing in the disgraceful thing called abortion, or fearing that you can become a "left-over" girl and taking any available man, etc, etc). Haha, I wonder what you meant by "true love that is temporary" ...?!

• When i was a high school student,i need to wear the uniform.Because my teacher asked us to do this.I hate it.I don't like someone forced me to do something.So i always wear my own beautiful clothes in the uniform.I have graduated now.I don't have to wear the uniform any more.And i also have no chance to wear it.It's a long time now from i graduated.Every time i see students wear uniforms,i admire very much.Because i already have no reason to do this thing.It represents a past that i can't go back to.School uniforms recorded all of my youth.
    • Tiffany, I am pleasantly surprised to see you here! Thank you for taking a little of your time to display your writing skills; see, it wasn't so difficult! You said you don't like to be forced to do something ... (then you are different from most Chinese people as it looks to me that most just accept what is forced on them and "just do it", or just accept their fate). Is that the reason you didn't want to comment here?! Haha, I'm kidding with you (as you know) as no one is forced to comment here; but they have to understand that there would be consequences if they don't comment! I am glad your classmates told you. ;-)

So, about the school uniforms, do you want to tell me that you had your own clothes on under the uniform?! What about summer then - it must have been sweltering hot in summer with two sets of clothing on, not so?! Or did you make an exception during summers? You remind me of the Russian girls. During their cold winters, many of them would dress in their skimpy mini skirts and blouses under their very thick coats, and when they get to the offices, they just throw the coats off as there are always internal heating that regulates the internal temperatures. During summers they don't need the coats! But I am of the opinion that wearing uniforms at schools are more advantageous to students. And as you said, it's a good reminder of your childhood years to which you can't return anymore!

• When I was a student who need to wear uniforms every day,I didn't like it.But now I don't need to,I'm a little miss it.Because I think it means a pased time.The uniforms in China don't like other countries'.Their are beautiful.But it also means a culture in China.When we think about our past,we must think our uniforms.

This reply was deleted.