Week 11b: Friday, 21 November 2014

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

Students, pse look at the worksheet before you comment.

P.S. Long Yuan, can I ask you to bring your computer to class, please?!

(2) Discussing the wear of school uniforms. Pse look at the worksheet first before your comments.

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

M - W11b - Discussion - School uniforms.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "You Raised Me Up" is of course another very beautiful song; I agree with you. But have you heard the recording by the Irish group, Celtic Woman? I think they sing it much, much more beautifully than Westlife!

Haha, most students (girls, of course!) don't like school uniforms! But I think there are more advantages for wearing it than disadvantages. However, I agree that most of those uniforms are not nice-looking; and often they don't fit well (we can see it!). In those two cases I believe it is because the adults don't care enough for the students needs and feelings. And I don't think it is going to change ..!

• I hold the opinion that the uniforms in school is not good for us students.On the one hand,I think that uniforms is so ugly.Every one wants to dress beautiful clothes,so I think that uniform should be designed for us students.On the other hand,uniforms prevent students from being judged based on clothing. In addition,school uniforms are too expensive for us to buy.
    • You make some valid points, Lu Wenjun. However, I think the advantages of wearing school uniforms outweigh the disadvantages. I agree they mostly look ugly and could really be redesigned! Maybe they should start caring more about the students in general and listen to their opinions too! A pity that school uniforms are expensive. What about the poorer students; how can their parents afford it? I hope the schools or education department would help them to buy it ...?

• In my memory,I weared some kinds of uniform at my ago school.But they are very urgly ,and most of the students don't like wearing it.So we are all expect to design by ourself,and have our own's features.But still now it haven't came ture.But we are looking forword this thing.
    • I think there are good reasons why students at school should wear uniforms, Wang Xiaoxu. The only problem I see, is that in China most school uniforms are not nice looking and maybe they should do something about that. Unfortunately in China they also don't listen to students' opinions; so, I guess that may never happen that they would change uniforms to the liking of the students!

•  I don't think to wear school uniforms should be enforced. As we all know, the general elementary, middle and high school students need to wear unified school uniform, and the period of child psychology and intelligence are mature stage, the dressing is largely limits the development of them, is not conducive to form independent individual personality. In addition, the lack of uniform aesthetic feeling, students prone to resistance, some students even restructuring that makes it worse. Yes, ROSE is very good to listen, it's feeling good, ture  love is sacred and beautiful, worth pursuing with everyone.  
    • I agree with your thinking about the wearing of school uniforms, Sarah. Young students should not really be allowed to dress up for school. They can do that when they are at university or when the work after school. But you mentioned something interesting about not allowing them to form their individual independent personalities. You know, in western schools, or in particular in my country's schools where the wearing of school uniforms is also compulsory, it doesn't suppress the development of a student's independent personality. The western school systems are designed to allow students to develop to their full potential and by the time they enter university, most of them are quite mature for their age and are independent thinkers. It is a system which forces students into a study mode where they can only study, study, study to advance to the next levels that kill a students personality and potential, or at least doesn't allow that personality to develop until later years in life. I don't believe that the wearing of school uniforms can have that effect on a child/student! ;-)

• In my opinion,It is fortunate to meet a true love.Loving each other is the most beautiful thing in the world.Love is not only like fiowers,but also like a lake,make you feel realx and happy.
    The uniform for me,I didn't like it,but my schools force us to wear it.so I have to.But now,when I needn't wear it,I just meet the time that I must wear it.I think the uniforms didn,t just only mean unifopms,but also mean the time I can never come back.
    • Yes, Caroline, love is a beautiful thing, but though it can be like flowers sometimes, or like a lake, it can also be like a razor that leaves your soul to bleed ...! But of course, we humans are made to love and we can't live without it!

• The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler is impressive song.It moved a lot of people.And it has got highly commended.Just i think it will give us huge enjoyment at tommorrow class.To the uniforms,i support school to do it that students should wear uniforms.The uniforms are the symbol of school's culture.It also can let students feel the learning atmosphere.And it can make students realise that they are student.They must study hard.

SONG.IT
This reply was deleted.