Week 11b: Friday, 21 November 2014

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

Students, pse look at the worksheet before you comment.

P.S. Long Yuan, can I ask you to bring your computer to class, please?!

(2) Discussing the wear of school uniforms. Pse look at the worksheet first before your comments.

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

M - W11b - Discussion - School uniforms.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Guo Hongtai, most students told me that the school uniforms in China aren't beautiful - only you and Shelly liked it so far! Maybe you were at a school where they have designed nice-looking uniforms. Glad for you!

• I like both the lyric and melody of the song.Actually,no matter where and when,I'm one of the most faithfulest fans of Westlife that it's my answer about my favourite English singer or band when I need to register the englishclub.Although they have been dismissed,the art-works of them will never been forgotten!
    As far as I can see,uniforms can been regarded as a culture among different countries or areas,like Korea and Britain,cities and villages.When I stayed in Shanghai for primary shool and junior high school,I found a interesting phenomenon that the differences among most schools are small and students must wear it in the school,in other words,Education Burean has already set rules for us.It's the main difference between them and my senior high school which is located in a small town of Anhui province.Besides,hairstyle mentioned in the article couldn't express individuality in any school in China.In the end,although I want to say more,uniform contains us wonderful memories of twelve years!
    • Haha, Liu Weifang, I noticed on your profile that Westlife is your favourite band! So, you would like today's music lesson more than others! I agree, they have great music. "You raised me Up" is another great song that comes to mind now!
      Thank you for your thoughts on the wearing of uniforms; it made very interesting reading. I personally don't approve of them also controlling the hairstyles of the girls, though I believe the boys' hair should all be short - but this doesn't appear to be a problem in China (in the western countries for some reason many boys like to grow their hair - like girls!). But I support the wearing of school uniforms as it just makes so much sense!

• I have listened to that music "the rose".I love the song lyric,I could see from it that the composer looks forward to love whatever it brings to the life,it's a kind of sincere emotion.
    As for the uniform,I think it's a good thing that a school has it's own uniform,not only can it concentrate the students on their study,but also represent the symbol of schools,we can feel the atmosphere of study ,maybe students don't like their uniforms during the schooltime,because it makes them looked unfashionable and bored to wear the same clothes,but I think they must cherish the memory of wearing uniforms after they leave the school,because,they look the uniform they have wore,as if they had come back to the wonderful moment they stayed at school.
    • Good point, Li Yaze; we should not run away from love just because it can sometimes cause hurts or pain. Pure love is so exciting and worthy to be pursued! I agree with your motivation as to why there should be school uniforms. The advantages of wearing those uniforms are more than the disadvantages (which are all probably not really valid as it is not conducive to the study environment!).

• In my opinion,love is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed.As we know,it is easy to hurt in love.Pepole often sad when in love for quarreling each other.
    In my midlle school,we were asked wear our uniforms.If we obey it ,we would be punished by teachers.However,this kind of phenomenon is very common in China.As far as my concerned,i am agree with that students should wear uniforms in school.Because it can reduce comparing phenomenon.Students should concentrate on study.
    • Hou Jialei, this sentence of you can't be correct: "...we were asked (to) wear our uniforms.If we obey it ,we would be punished by teachers"? Why would they punish you if they ask you to wear the uniforms and you do wear it?! I am confused now.

About lovers quarreling ... I think there are boundaries for such quarrels. If one gets upset with the one you love, such a disagreement should be solved by respectful interaction, but I believe today's humans have lost that ability and most quarrels between wives and husbands (and even between lovers, before marriage) are getting out of control. It is not right. Even in the movies we see how husbands beat their wives in serious quarrels, and even boyfriends to their gf's ... That is so wrong and a totally deformed image they give us of how arguments should be solved.

• I prefer that love is a river that drowns the tender reed.For i think love is magical and extraordinary,which ought to do two-sided things.
    I'm not opposed students to wear uniforms in school,on which way can we avoid many unnecessary problems,like comparing phenomenon,puppy love,and so on,though i don't prefer chinese uniforms,for they are so ungainly.
    • Haha Jiang Dan, Shelly (Sun Huanmeng) would disagree with you as they had smart uniforms at school! But you mentioned one important reason for the wearing of uniforms ... it mostly prohibits 'puppy love'... I am sure that if girls at schools are allowed to wear private clothing, they would seduce many boys and the purpose of their studies would be defeated!

• I think it is okay to let students wear uniforms,which will not limit elementary-school students'life.For there are many other ways to release their nature.And it will be more easy for schools to manage.
    In additon,i'm really like the song of "the rose".There are many explaining about the love.So to ours.Everyone has different understandings in it.In a word,love is a feeling that can make us warm.
This reply was deleted.