Week 10b: Friday, 14 November 2014

(1) Man Overboard: Role plays in 7 groups of 6 students.

Please read the content of the lesson before you comment.

(2) News by Tara: The students who didn't leave comments this week, will be asked first to tell us the news. Please sum the news report up in your own words (after you have hopefully listened to it several times). You know now where to find Tara's news (it is in the 'Learn English for learners' section under 'Listening').

M - W10b - Man overboard.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First,for the news,I am not so sure which side I'll choose about "Alcoholism" being a teacher,honestly,I think everyone has its own story,sure everyone has its own way to deal with it,thought the teacher choose a wrong way.Now this situation make me think why the employer do not offer her a job,IF they do,as the exchange,she must quit Alcoholism,and help her to get out of her bad mood.that may turn to a win-win result.(Maybe I am too idealistic!)Second,for the content,I think everyone has its reason to be alive on this sinking ship,but for this special circumatances,we now make thoes who is more worthy to the society to be alive.AS far as I am conserned,I'll give up the pop star and the amateur sailor,because the pop star has enjoyed so much that he may feel no regret,(Idealistic again,peopel are greedy thought.)As for the amateur sailor,I just think it's not the time to find out who's responsible for the ship sinking,and he is less worthy to the society in the future I think.
    • Long Yuan, I think you have it slightly wrong here! It was not the teacher with a problem with alcoholism! They made a generalization as in the past they had problems with Irish teachers that drank too much. So, now they use that as an excuse not to appoint Irish teachers. Of course that was totally unfair as the problem probably arose due to the behaviour of male teachers (female teachers are not known for drinking habits!). But to discriminate now against a female teacher for that reason, is totally absurd. I don't think that was the real reason. I think they didn't want to reveal the real reason as it would have been more controversial. Oh, and btw, I have been in Russia for a few months a few years back, and I've been in China for a few years now ... and I think the Russians and Chinese drinking habits are the worst! So, what a pity to blame the Irish for something like that! ;-)

• If there must be two people sacrificed,i would choose the multi-millionaire and the admatuer sailor.The reason of sacrificing the multi-millionaire is that life is more important than money.If no life ,money is meaningless. As for the admatuer,from a rational consideration,the meaning of living or dying is no difference because he does'nt play an essential role in the group for escaping.

I am sorry for the woman 's exprience. In fact ,there a lot of stereotypes about our nation.For example,they think that people suck in China that they work hard and don't enjoy  and so on.I do not deny that there are be these in China,but I hope foreigners with a comprehensive view of the problem.there may be some peple but not all.

• Maybe that is true, Zhang Min, but why do you think there are such stereotypes about China? I think the origin of that can be found within Chinese society itself! When something goes wrong inside China, it's always the foreigners or the west that get the blame (and the people are taught to believe that), but China is never prepared to take a good objective look at herself and start putting right what is wrong. It is too easy to blame others. I guarantee you that when that attitude will change, the world's stereotypes about China would also change and become positive! ;-)

• After read the content of "Man Overboard",I know there must be two people chosen to be the sacrifice.It's a brutal truth.As far as I am concerned,considered of the importance and necessiy of everyone,the world famous star and amateur sailor should jump overboard.they are less impotant for the survive and world,while the other people have more responsibility and should be given sympathy,just like the child ,the mother and the President.
    All of us are not expect the exist of unfair,but it do exsist not noly in South Korea.I hink the teacher is so innocent beacause of the discrimination.I feel so pity about her.I think in our country ,there must be many unfair things.Every one should treat others with equal view.
    sacrifice.it
    This domain may be for sale!
    • Interesting what you are saying in your last paragraph, Men Yaqiong. Yes, I agree it was a very unfair practice. I personally didn't expect it would have happened in South Korea as I regarded them as less authoritarian and more open to fair practices. I guess I was wrong again. But I also think it could have easily happened here as this is a much more closed and secretive society; difference is just that it would be kept secret and we wouldn't have heard about it. In your last sentence you should have used the word, "respect" and not "view". Everyone should treat others with respect. That is one of the major reasons we get so much inequality in the world today. People lost respect for others, from leaders to children.

• I have read the role play about Man Overboard.It is difficul for me to choose two person to leave the lifeboat,I think every life is precious.But I have to do this ,I feel really sad.If two people must be sacrificed.,I think maybe the world-famous pop star and the multi-millionaire should leave the lifeboat .Because I think both of the world-famous pop star and the multi-millionaire have little ability protect others , even they cant protect themselves well,and if there are any other accidents,they can give little help,they may should be given up at last.
    And I also read the news about Irish Teacher Denied Job Due to “Alcoholism”.I really sorry to hear that the Irish woman cant be accepted as a teacher in South Korea.It is unfair .And not every Irish people cant speak English well,some of them may speak English as fluent as English native speaker.I hope that these things will not happen in the world anymore.
    • Amy, Ireland (and northern ireland, that broke away from Ireland) is part of the UK. And the official language of the UK is English! So, of course the Irish would speak English as fluent as native speakers as they are indeed English! Where did you get your information from?! Yes, it is true that the Irish (like the Scotts and Welsh) have a heavy accent, but they still speak their native language, i.e. English! Btw, I personally think that that was the real reason for refusing that Irish teacher - not because of the so-called problem with alcoholism, but because of the accent. They however didn't say that as it would have been more controversial. :)

• "Man overboard",I would like to say pop star and multi-millionare should be give up the hope of life.As you can see,there are so many pop star around the world,any of them died,some of others will instead of,you know,although pop star have taken so much pleasure to us,campared to other person in the News,they may play a more normol role I think.and for multi-millionare,as we all know,we never lack of rich man,so their behaviour will be in exchange for more meaningful life.(but I have to say life is equal)
    For other person mentioned in the News,they are plays an irreplaceable role in the society.

• Yes, I agree. From the survivors future pop stars may arise and new millionaires would be made. But if I were in the lifeboat, I would have convinced the survivors to sacrifice that president!

This reply was deleted.