Week 9: Wednesday, 16 April 2014

(1) The Missing Ring: Interviews and investigation by Detective Bossley and teams to continue In the same teams as before, except that Detective Wang Lei will join Team 5 of Inspector Liu Yan (Bossley) in Class 1; and in Class 2 Inspector Bao Zhengchao (Bossley) will form Team 6 with two detectives from Teams 1 and 2. Mr Xiao will be relieved of his duties from Team 5 and will join the Suspects as Martin, the gardener. Detective Su Xu will take over as Chief inspector (Bossley) of Team 5.

(2) Discussion: Banning plastic bags

We'll read a passage about the topic, do some vocabulary and discuss questions about the issue in pairs. Questions to be discussed would be, amongst others, why plastic bags were invented, the effect on the environment, banning of plastic bags, etc. See the attachment for more info. I have changed my files now from pdf Foxit Reader to pdf Adobe Reader (although Adobe Reader should open Foxit pdf files) and I hope you can open it now.

ESL Library - Discussions - Banning plastic bags.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You have a clever brother, Amy! Please go to your Class qq group now and tell your classmates where they can get that app to download. Thank you! And you may also be so kind as to tell Class 2 too, pse! ;-)

• Oh,I think I'm a lucky guy.Act two different characters in a game.Last time I was a detective,but I will become a suspect next time.What a dramatic life! HaHa!But it's a nice experience.I think this game is really fun.It not only can practice our oral English but also make us think questions seriously.But I think there is  a better way to play this game.As we know,The suspects didn't get any information about what the characters did.So,when the detective ask them question,they have to make up the answer.And the dectective  have to judge the suspect from what they said,So,maybe,the fictional answer will lead the detective to the wrong direction.So it's really difficult for the detective to judge the suspect.Next time,we can tell the suspects some information about what the characters did.Thus,this game will like a true detective story.However,if we just want to practice our oral English,the way we do now is good enough.About the topic of banning plastic bags,I rember our country did it some years before.I think it's a good policy which can make our environment better.we will discuss it more tomorrow.See you!

fun.it - This website is for sale! - fun Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! fun.it is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you…
    • Yes, maybe you are a lucky guy; or maybe it is because you are so sharp! There must be at least 6 suspects; so, I am glad detective Bao is back to form another group so that you can be released to go and work in Ms Hummingbird's garden again! But your evaluation of the game is correct. There should have been a script for each character, because as it is now, everyone can just make up a story and it would be very difficult to determine who could have had the motive to steal the ring. I guess you are also right that the main purpose is to have a different opportunity to practice our English. However, I will look into that and for future classes I will consider to get some kind of script for the characters. It will just make it more fair, but also more interesting. Thanks for the input; it is very valuable! ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • No Fan Xinxin, read Zhang Qian's comment! Plastic bags are made from oil (or byproducts of oil)! Paper comes from trees! But I agree, we also have the responsibility to protect our trees and in particular the rainforests where most of the earth's oxygen gets produced. But that's another discussion on it's own as it is the rich people and the upcoming middle class that are responsible for killing the trees as they use so much wood in building and decorating their houses.

• I very like the detective game.and our group prepared a lot of questions last class.

About plastic bag, we all know the bad results but we still choose to use it.because it is more convenient than other bag.over the past few years,the government in order to reduce the white pollution,and decided that the supermarket don't provide free plastic bag.this is a good decision.it is good for us to protect the environment.but now small shops still provide free plastic bag.i understand it.i really hope that the plastic bag will be forbidden to use in shopping.

http://decision.it/
    • Yes, that may be the only workable solution, Yunping, to ban plastic bags totally, because currently the bags are too cheap to encourage people to hang on to them. They should charge 3 RMB in stead of 3 Mao! But as you said, there are still many shops that give plastic bags out for free. It would never change as long as people don't start caring for their environment.

• That is the idea, Zhi Huayu, that the students speak English in the teams (as the suspects are all English-speaking!), but for some reason I hear too much of another dialect when I listen to those teams ... I hope they would realize that this is am ideal situation for them to practice their English!

• Don't worry, Di Xin, we will start the interrogations (interviews) all over and you will see all 6 suspects again. ;-)

• The key to solving the mystery, Shi Ning, is the ulterior motive ..! Think 'outside of the box' ... this would be the only way to solve this crime. You will be surprised!

• I am very looking forward to the detective activity ,I am curious about the truth,I want to know the result as quick as possible.About the next topic,I read the attachment,from it ,I know that  a Swedish engineer developed the one-piece lightweight plastic bag in the 1960s ,it became very popular among the people because it is so convenient  when they are shopping,but as the time goes on,the plastic bags can't be deal with well ,so it products polluted substance destroy  the environment seriously.It pollutes the air ,the water and so on ,and hurt the human beings' health.

seriously.it
    This domain may be for sale!
This reply was deleted.