Week 9: Wednesday, 16 April 2014

(1) The Missing Ring: Interviews and investigation by Detective Bossley and teams to continue In the same teams as before, except that Detective Wang Lei will join Team 5 of Inspector Liu Yan (Bossley) in Class 1; and in Class 2 Inspector Bao Zhengchao (Bossley) will form Team 6 with two detectives from Teams 1 and 2. Mr Xiao will be relieved of his duties from Team 5 and will join the Suspects as Martin, the gardener. Detective Su Xu will take over as Chief inspector (Bossley) of Team 5.

(2) Discussion: Banning plastic bags

We'll read a passage about the topic, do some vocabulary and discuss questions about the issue in pairs. Questions to be discussed would be, amongst others, why plastic bags were invented, the effect on the environment, banning of plastic bags, etc. See the attachment for more info. I have changed my files now from pdf Foxit Reader to pdf Adobe Reader (although Adobe Reader should open Foxit pdf files) and I hope you can open it now.

ESL Library - Discussions - Banning plastic bags.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Zhang Cong, who told you that Class 1 and 2 would combine again tomorrow? I don't know about that. I will be in the first class tomorrow to see Class 1 and in the third class to see Class 2. It would both be in the same classroom, 203 Yunhui, yes, but surely not at the same time.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I am happy that you also think that the invention of the plastic bag was an ingenious one, Wang Fei! I agree wholeheartedly with you! Unfortunately, because of people's bad attitudes (toward the environment, and even toward life itself), plastic bags became a problem. And because people can't behave them selves and don't want to discipline themselves, plastic bags would have to pay the ultimate price - be banned! What a pity.

• Well Inspector Xie, your team was the only team that pointed out the 'real' thief; congratulations! But I think you must thank Detective Zhou who was so sharp! Only problem was that the motive was not correct, and you didn't identify an ulterior motive (as there was one)! But, not a bad show!

• Ke Song, thank you for your effort, but I am not sure that you wrote the first paragraph yourself (at least not in English) as it doesn't make much sense in the way is was written. Did you use translation software to translate directly form the Chinese?  That's the only explanation I have. If I am right, then the exercise helped your English nothing at all. Maybe you don't want your English to improve? The second paragraph looked much more like your own work .. Though there were mistakes in, I can understand what you meant and it would have benefited your English more.

• Yes Han Zeyue, many students said they were looking forward to the class today, but my personal opinion is that the teacher failed them today .. And the end of the detective game wasn't what I hoped it would be .. Not a good day, I think.

• There was a lot of vocabulary included in the last two lessons, Li Kaiyu. If the students can master even just half of all the new vocab we would learn in class this semester, then they would have made good progress. My questions is however, how many of these words did the Class learn, and would the students remember it after this semester ...?

I wonder if my computer doesn't have this bleeding bug as it sometimes looks like my computer's heart is not ticking as it often doesn't want to do what I want it to do!

• Oh,thanks John you have been keeping me in mind.

Let me join the Liuyan team instead of forgetting my existence.

I'm very appreciate for you  are so careful with me.

The ring game I have no sense of it except the presentation on the website.

So I highly wish I can primely jion in the class.

And about the plastic bags.

I think it must have a reason for it be created.

Because it really have a convenient function to our life.

But I think its more harm than good.

It's so harmful for our environment.

So I consider it should be banned in the future.

By the way,I was lacked for a couple of classes.

I'm very miss you for I have been long time no see you.

John,I'm looking forward to see you in tomorrow class.

• Of course we wouldn't forget about your existence, Wang Lei; you are an important part of this class! I hope you added value to Liu Yan's team today .. I'll ask her later about that!

Yes, plastic bags are so convenient and I think it was a great discovery! But unfortunately it is damaging our environment and we should act before it gets worse. But I was wondering what we would then use to clean Shoushan if they ban plastic bags in Xingcheng ..!

• Thank you, Bai Ma. But I have to say that if this was your own work, then your English is improving rapidly ..! However, I don't want to discourage you; keep on trying.

•       Our group in the process of inquiry in the last lesson, got two different answers. We suspect a person is criminal, but also need some time to confirm. I believe tomorrow will know the truth. This experience is like a great detective.
           On the issue of the plastic bags, have attention by the society for a long time,it really brought a lot of pressure on the environment,but still failed to fundamentally solve. What we can do is to handle yourself, use it to minimize, or an old saying goes: to protect the environment, everyone duty.Start from the side of the small.

This reply was deleted.