Week 9: Wednesday, 16 April 2014

(1) The Missing Ring: Interviews and investigation by Detective Bossley and teams to continue In the same teams as before, except that Detective Wang Lei will join Team 5 of Inspector Liu Yan (Bossley) in Class 1; and in Class 2 Inspector Bao Zhengchao (Bossley) will form Team 6 with two detectives from Teams 1 and 2. Mr Xiao will be relieved of his duties from Team 5 and will join the Suspects as Martin, the gardener. Detective Su Xu will take over as Chief inspector (Bossley) of Team 5.

(2) Discussion: Banning plastic bags

We'll read a passage about the topic, do some vocabulary and discuss questions about the issue in pairs. Questions to be discussed would be, amongst others, why plastic bags were invented, the effect on the environment, banning of plastic bags, etc. See the attachment for more info. I have changed my files now from pdf Foxit Reader to pdf Adobe Reader (although Adobe Reader should open Foxit pdf files) and I hope you can open it now.

ESL Library - Discussions - Banning plastic bags.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You know a lot about the damage plastic bags can cause, Zhang Qian, if I just look at your last sentence!

But about the detective story ... I can't understand why you didn't reveal in class today the true story about why you have taken the ring and what the 'ulterior motive' was! I told you, but you didn't even explain properly why it's happened. And you didn't even tell them that you and ms Hummingbird were in cahoots about this. It was your responsibility to tell them, not mine! I don't understand ...

• This reply was deleted.
    • Rock, why do you wait until the last minute before you comment?! By the time you leave your comment, there is no time to read through the lesson material as the class is about to start! The reason for asking the students to comment before the class, is to get them to look at the lesson so that they can be somewhat prepared for the lesson.

Where did you learn that sentence ... "people need to change in their heart"? It sounds familiar! But of course, you are right! Any change comes from within first; if there's no change on the outside, it tells me that the heart is unchanged .. Sorry that the teacher was a little harsh with you today ... he could have shown a little more understanding, I guess .. I'll chat to him about it. ;-)

• I am also of the opinion that the invention of plastic bags was one of the best inventions ever, Li Mengdi! But sadly, as you have also pointed out, also a bad invention ... But, if people could have lived more disciplined and caring lives, the invention would have remained a great one! By the way, to introduce a system where shops have to charge for plastic bags, is not equal to banning them! Banning means to get rid of them, not being allowed to use them any longer. We have the same system nowadays in my country.

• Haha, those were interesting answers by Ralph and his wife, Xie Xue! I didn't know they said that! I was wondering myself as to why Lila didn't get the ring from her mother when she got married? So, Ralph gave the answer ... (not that I think it happened to be true)! And then Lila continued with the deceit ...! Haha, funny!

• Yes, I think you are right, Huang Guodong, that we should start getting used to life without plastic bags as it looks like it would one day be banned completely. What a pity, but I guess it is the price we all have to pay as too many people don't care when it comes to looking after our environment.

• I think as a suspect is more interesting than as a detective in last semester,it gives me more chances to communicate with each group.As for the plastic bags,it provide people convenient indeed.It's cheap and convenient.I don't think people can ban plastic bags outright,because plastic bags depend on its' advantages in price and weight became necessary part of people's daily life.Such as we shopping outside,we can't carry a basket or a canvas bag all the time and everywhere.But there are also some type of plastic bags are reusable nowadays.We should reduce the using of single use plastic bags as far as possible.And in China,It's need to pay  since 2008 when you shopping in a supermarket when you need a plastic bag.So I think as people's environmental awareness' strength,we will switch plastic bags using to more environmental manner.

rolex news and replicas review
    • That is true, Ren Zhihong, that the suspects do have much more opportunity to practice their English. In the detective teams, students can hide and let others do the talking (except when the teacher is close by!). So, I hope you have enjoyed being a suspect this time. About the plastic bags, I think it would be sad the day it gets banned outrightly, as it is really so convenient. But of course, not many people care for their plastic bags like a few of us and their lack of discipline and care would eventually "kill" plastic bags. So sad. :)

• Well, it appeared that you, like Ke Song in Class 2, enjoyed being a suspect again, Feng Yu. Looks like you fit into those roles ..!

• Yang Yujia, I have detected at least two anomalies in your comment ... Did you think it through?! When the number of plastic bags increase, surely the degree of pollution would not reduce, but increase! And, it can't be that 'most' plastic bags can't decompose in 'a short time' as we were taught that not one plastic bag can decompose, not even in a long time ..! But I agree that it appears to be unavoidable that the banning of plastic bags is becoming more of a reality these days. :)

• tomorrow,class one and class two combine again .it is nice.i also think this activity is nice too.though,we use  plastic bags  ,but i believe all know it is bad for our surrounding .in other words,it is puzzle that how c should we use it better.i think,we can use our school bag ,that can include a lot of things . that is all.

This reply was deleted.