(1) Wednesday, 9th: News by Tara.

Click on 'LEARN ENGLISH for learners' at the top bar of any page; scroll down a little and click on Listening in the list; now you are on the listening page - scroll down to about the middle of the page, and click on Listen to the News; scroll down and look for the latest news topic.

(2) Class 1: 1st class Wednesday, 9th: If the class monitor has remembered to book a media room, we will watch a movie about a detective story (because Class 2 will have a holiday on Monday). Pse let me know what the media classroom number is. If we don't have a media room, we'll do a lesson which will be a role play exercise (Activity 8) based on the last video about Romania (after the News).

(3) Wednesday, 9th, Class 2; Friday, 11th, Class 1:

The Case of the missing Ring: Detective game

I hope you can open the attachment as it would be in your interest to get the background of this story. A very expensive ring was stolen from the house of old Ms Cynthia Hummingbird and she's hired Detective Bossley (and his team) to find the ring and the criminal. We'll do this in similar format as the Alibi game last semester. There will be 5 detective groups and one group of 6 suspects. The suspects are Emma (granddaughter), Ralph (son), Lila (Ralph's wife), the gardener, the chef, and the housekeeper.

We'll start by reading the passage about the topic. Then we'll do some vocab(ulary) and then divide into groups. In each group there will be a boy representing Detective Bossley. Class 1: suspects - 1 group x6; detectives: 2 groups x6; 3 groups x5. Class 2: suspects - 1 group of 6; detectives: 3 groups x5; 2 groups x4.

ESL Library - Detective series - The Case of the Missing Ring.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yi Xizhuoma, I can understand your second sentence, thank you. But what did you try to say in the first paragraph? And your sentence doesn't even stop properly ... What is the meaning of that last word, "pla" ..? Come on, you can do better, I am sure.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thank you, Liu Yi, for telling me that! I was suspecting that the students do not all have the program (software) required to open the attachments. And I was hoping that if they are serious about the course, they would do that. Now I am beginning to wonder ..

So far, you were the ONLY student commenting on the content of the lesson. You can make a teacher's heart so happy! Thank you! Well, I can't give away anything about the guilt or innocence of the suspects, but I can see you have already given it a good thought! I hope one of the 5 teams would be bright enough to solve the crime - we'll see next week!

About your last paragraph, I agree with you that this is a good opportunity and a fun way to practice one's English; and yes, there is much vocab to learn (which is a good thing too, I believe). But what I still can't understand, is why so many students still insist on speaking Chinese in the English class ..? Do they really want to improve their English? :)

• Li Kaiyu, nobody said you are going to watch a movie today! Class 1 would have watched one as your class only had one class this week due to the holiday, but Class 1 have two classes. So, it would have only been fair to them, don't you think?

• Xiang Balazhen, what do you mean by, "I will take good every day"? Do you mean you will give your best every day? Okay, then it is fine with me; as long as you know it was your best ..

• We can't have a video class tomorrow,what a pity!I think in the case about the ring will practice my ability of inference,because I'm not good at find out about a case,to be a detective,etc.And In the class tomorrow I think it will be funny although find out a case will be a little difficult for me,but I think I can play my role well.And I'll listen the news.See you,teacher!

• Ren Zhihong, you told me that you can open the attachments in our lesson posts. So, then I have to believe that you've opened this attachment about the 'Missing ring'. So, why then have you not commented on the content of the attachment (the lesson)?! Do you think you gave a good comment ..?

• I'm sorry for the absence of that attachment in my comment.The detective activity about the missing ring we had one similar class in last semester,but the difference is that I'm a suspect this time.At begin I thought this kind of activity about detective will be a difficult for me,but I find is just need we clear the relationship between those members and have a team work.And there are some vocabulary I haven't seen before,It makes me learn some new words.See you.

• Shao Shuang, your team didn't do badly in today's role play. I'm glad you motivated those girls to a higher level! But btw, you didn't mention anything about Friday's detective game at all. Did you open the attachment? If yes, you owe me a comment about the content. If you couldn't, why did you not ask me to send you a copy by email or qq? Then you still owe me a comment! Do you really think this comment should suffice?

• Yes Li Xiupeng, you made some students very sad; even your gf decided not to attend the class.. So, you are not a popular guy after this! It didn't worry me as I have watched all the movies by the time I show them in class. But I must admit, I did enjoy today's role plays and I think the students all tried to do well. You and mrs Li didn't do badly yourself! Of course, I was so occupied with the arrangements for today's lesson, that I completely forgot to do Tara's news first! So, now we'll do that on Friday. In future, you must please remind me on a Wednesday should I forget. Thank you. If you don't, I will always remember later and then we'll do it in the next class!

• Bai Ma, a person's best is good enough to me; but then it must be just that - her/his best. Okay?!

This reply was deleted.