(1) Wednesday, 9th: News by Tara.

Click on 'LEARN ENGLISH for learners' at the top bar of any page; scroll down a little and click on Listening in the list; now you are on the listening page - scroll down to about the middle of the page, and click on Listen to the News; scroll down and look for the latest news topic.

(2) Class 1: 1st class Wednesday, 9th: If the class monitor has remembered to book a media room, we will watch a movie about a detective story (because Class 2 will have a holiday on Monday). Pse let me know what the media classroom number is. If we don't have a media room, we'll do a lesson which will be a role play exercise (Activity 8) based on the last video about Romania (after the News).

(3) Wednesday, 9th, Class 2; Friday, 11th, Class 1:

The Case of the missing Ring: Detective game

I hope you can open the attachment as it would be in your interest to get the background of this story. A very expensive ring was stolen from the house of old Ms Cynthia Hummingbird and she's hired Detective Bossley (and his team) to find the ring and the criminal. We'll do this in similar format as the Alibi game last semester. There will be 5 detective groups and one group of 6 suspects. The suspects are Emma (granddaughter), Ralph (son), Lila (Ralph's wife), the gardener, the chef, and the housekeeper.

We'll start by reading the passage about the topic. Then we'll do some vocab(ulary) and then divide into groups. In each group there will be a boy representing Detective Bossley. Class 1: suspects - 1 group x6; detectives: 2 groups x6; 3 groups x5. Class 2: suspects - 1 group of 6; detectives: 3 groups x5; 2 groups x4.

ESL Library - Detective series - The Case of the Missing Ring.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry Li Ningning, I'll send you the attachment via email now.

• the first thing i should do for next class is watch the news practice my listening skills and oral English.the second is prepare for the detective game.i really like to watch the movies and novels about detective.i am very curious about the event and very eager to know the result of the things.i think from this class we can practice our oral English well and also improve our imagination.as a detective we should have courage ,the ability to solve emergencies,ability to observe.i think the most important is the ability of judgement.i like this class very much.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Sorry Amy, the mediaroom was not booked ...! :(  So, we'll do a role play tomorrow (see my comment to Shan Tianqi about that). Ha, you chose the easy news ..! That was last week's! But okay, it is still within the rules as I said it can be the latest news or the previous week's. I'll send you the attachment by email now.

• Yes Wendy, if these words you used in your second paragraph came naturally, then your English is rapidly improving ... 'rigorous thinking', 'loopholes', 'filter out', 'challenging task' ..! Though there is still room for improving ... the connection between the first two sentences is not correct, and after the word, 'spoken' in second line, you should have added something like 'skills', or 'language'. But this is not criticism, I think I see progress. ;-)

• Shan Tianqi, you are not in Class 1; so, you won't do the role play tomorrow during the 1st class - except if you insist to join Class 1! Your class will do the detective game.

• Shan Tianqi, what do you mean by "we have done it several times"? The role play will be about last week's video on Romania (Activity 6). We have done similar role plays, but not this one. And this time I will let us do it a little differently as it will be a couple (meaning a boy and a girl!) that will go for the interview with the agent (a girl). So, three in a group and chocolates to the winning group (best performance).

I don't know what to do about some of you not being able to open the attachments. Admin here at the website investigated the problem from the website's side, but they couldn't find anything wrong here. They think the problem must be locally (here at Liao Gongda). Some students (like Xiao Hao) can open the attachments. Maybe you can ask him to send it to you? Sorry. :(

• Thanks for the comment, Yang Yujia. Yes, the detective game will be executed in similar format to the Alibi game of last semester. But before we get there, your class would have another lesson tomorrow! And as we don't have a media classroom for the movie, we'll do a lesson based on last week's video about the development of English in Romania. We will do Activity 6 about the interview and role play.

• Thanks for the comment, Camille. I see the last news item is still about the slaughtering of the tigers, but later tonight Tara will upload the new news bulletin. So, all students giving comments tomorrow should know the new news item! I don't know whether this detective game would be as interesting as the first one, but I hope so. As long as the students who'd like to practice their English can get sufficient opportunity to do so, I will be happy. Btw, I watched a new movie this weekend and I think it is outstanding. But it is a secret as I'm going to show it to the class at the end of the semester. It is kind of a love story, but with some action and a twist, and a surprise for the girls! ;-)

• Thank you, Su Xu, for the first comment. Don't worry about not seeing the movie ... I'm not sure that we are going to watch it as it appears we don't have a media classroom for Wednesday. So, you would miss nothing! I hope you would all read through the lesson material (attachment) before the class, to get some background. I am not going to explain everything in class, as much of it is included in the lesson material. Why do I have the feeling lately that many Class 12 students get lazier and lazier, or care less and less about oral English? I hope I am mistaken ..

Oh and btw, why do the students not take more care when they do their comments? There is a spell checker on this website (it checks your spelling before you post the reply) and when a word is spelt incorrectly, it underlines the word in red. Then one corrects the word. That is, of course, if one cares. I seldom, if ever, notice that students care to do that. In your comment I picked up several spelling errors (for example, "sgarp', "maby", "remenmber", "cluds", "latter"). What is wrong with the attitudes of the Chinese students? Is this (the comments) what their best is like?

This reply was deleted.