(1) Wednesday, 9th: News by Tara.

Click on 'LEARN ENGLISH for learners' at the top bar of any page; scroll down a little and click on Listening in the list; now you are on the listening page - scroll down to about the middle of the page, and click on Listen to the News; scroll down and look for the latest news topic.

(2) Class 1: 1st class Wednesday, 9th: If the class monitor has remembered to book a media room, we will watch a movie about a detective story (because Class 2 will have a holiday on Monday). Pse let me know what the media classroom number is. If we don't have a media room, we'll do a lesson which will be a role play exercise (Activity 8) based on the last video about Romania (after the News).

(3) Wednesday, 9th, Class 2; Friday, 11th, Class 1:

The Case of the missing Ring: Detective game

I hope you can open the attachment as it would be in your interest to get the background of this story. A very expensive ring was stolen from the house of old Ms Cynthia Hummingbird and she's hired Detective Bossley (and his team) to find the ring and the criminal. We'll do this in similar format as the Alibi game last semester. There will be 5 detective groups and one group of 6 suspects. The suspects are Emma (granddaughter), Ralph (son), Lila (Ralph's wife), the gardener, the chef, and the housekeeper.

We'll start by reading the passage about the topic. Then we'll do some vocab(ulary) and then divide into groups. In each group there will be a boy representing Detective Bossley. Class 1: suspects - 1 group x6; detectives: 2 groups x6; 3 groups x5. Class 2: suspects - 1 group of 6; detectives: 3 groups x5; 2 groups x4.

ESL Library - Detective series - The Case of the Missing Ring.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Tony, you are supposed to comment BEFORE a lesson, not after! But of course you are lucky this time as I have combined this week's comments due to the holiday. So, your comment is still before the next lesson which is on Friday! But do you mean by "cheese"?! I didn't give them cheese for their good performances. Those were chocolate sweets. So, I am not sure whether I was in the same class as you today!

No, I don't know the Chinese detective. Are you sure he was a detective?! Because China doesn't have these crimes that need detectives to solve them like the west! Or maybe the days of the Tang Dynasty were different .. However, you didn't mention anything about Friday's lesson content ... Could you open the attachment? If not, I wrote in the notice yesterday that the students can ask me to send them the attachment by email or qq. So, what is going on?!

• I am not limiting the students' freedom, Tony; I am not a Chinese teacher! If they want to comment after the lessons, they are free to do it! But only comments before the lessons would be awarded marks toward their final semester scores. Only this week is different as I have combined the lessons into one lesson post. And I know there are students who are dishonest with their comments. When I see that, I don't allocate any marks to them for that comment. And some never comment on the lesson content; they too get no marks and they would get a poor final semester score.

Xiao Hao can open the attachments on his computer. I am surprised that he can't help you. From tomorrow evening I will use another version of a pdf file and I hope that the students can then open the attachments ... We'll see tomorrow ..

• I am sorry that I comment so late.The news tells us that European Union launched the first satellite of a system which will monitor the health of the earth.It is such a great thing for us humanbeings in the earth.Only when the earth is healthy,can we live a happy and healthy life.I think so.

The role play is so rich and colorful.(I think maybe I can say so) We have so many figures to act as.It is a little complicated.I will try to use more English.Hope that I can benefit from the role play.

• Wu Meng, did you open the attachment? If yes, why did you not comment on the content? As the case with mr Yin, this is a rushed job shortly before the class started. Not acceptable.

• Rock, Liu Yi could open the attachment and she commented appropriately. Do you want to tell me that you couldn't open the attachment yourself? If yes, why did you not comment on the content (like Liu Yi)?! Your comment is rushed and is not good enough. I hope the next one would be convincing ...

• Xie Xue, I never said you would watch a detective movie. It was only meant for Class 1 because they had an extra class this week. So, nothing to be sorry about! But what worries me, is that you and MANY of the students in your class basically went to class today totally UNPREPARED for the lesson as most of you conveniently ignore the lesson as some couldn't open the attachment. BUT, not ONE of you asked me to send you the attachment by email or qq. I am disappointed.

• Kobie, if Liu Yi could open the attachment, I believe Rock could do that too. Rock is your classmate. Could you not ask him about the lesson content if you could not open the attachment? Why did you not ask me to send it to you by email or qq? I don't think the boys study so hard that they don't have time to read through the lesson material ...

• Not acceptable, Huang Guodong. If you couldn't open the attachment, I said in my notice to all the students that you can ask me and I'll send you a copy by email or qq. You never asked me.

• Yang Jiandan, have you opened the attachment? If yes, why do you not comment on the lesson content? If you couldn't open it, why did you not ask me to send you a copy by email or qq?

• Thank you Zhou Jia, if you made mention of some of the role players in the plot about the missing ring, then it means you have opened and read the lesson content, right? Thank you. You and Liu Yi are real stars!

This reply was deleted.