Room 203 - Woodrow Wilson High [or 203 Yunhui lou?!]

(1) Discussion of movie (The Freedom Writers) in small groups

The following questions will be discussed:

1. What is the main theme and story?

2. Was that comedy, tragedy, drama, history, fiction, documentary or animation?

3. What in the movie did you enjoy most?

4. What in the movie did you dislike?

5. Were there any life lessons you have learned from the movie? If yes, what lessons? If no, what held you back from learning some lessons from the movie?

(2) Developing fluency: Students to write down polemical statements for discussion in small groups (see attachment).

12 - W6a - Developing fluency.docx

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh,that sounds so good.I have the answers all of these question because I was seriously looking that movie.And that movie is very excellent.If I have chance I will say out in tomorrow class these answers.And I will be ready for the debate.Never disappoint you
    • But Wang Lei, if you didn't get an opportunity to share your answers with us in the classroom, then we wouldn't know your heart as you didn't give any answers here. What a pity. :(

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yes, Ms G and Anne Frank could be regarded as heroes, but as Miep Gies said to Marcus, "... you are the heroes" ... so, the students from room 203 were heroes too as against all expectations, they'd excelled in their studies (of course through the efforts of Ms G) and passed and then advanced to a higher grade. I think many of them wanted to give up (like Tito), but Ms G didn't allow them to. Giving up was probably never in her vocabulary (like you mentioned, "never say die"). And yes, figuratively spoken, Ms G has also taken up a cross to wear a crown one day. :)

• I guess what you want to say, Feng Yu, was that "we should be doing to others what we want them do to us", or "don't do to others what you don't want them to do to you", right? Yes, some questions don't have to be asked when there is trust between people. But trust between people is quite rare today, I tend to think. Where it exists (like in classroom 203), life has entered another dimension.

• Thank you for a good comment, Yang Lingling. It appears to me that you could follow the movie well; I am glad. You even remember Tito's name! To me Marcus (the one asking his mom in the street for forgiveness and telling her that he wanted to change and needed her) was the star among the students! I agree too that the movie was very much about respect. Because she's shown that respect to her students, their lives changed completely as they started to respect others. They got a second chance in life because of one teacher. This is also one of my favourite movies.

• (1) The movie focuses on the children after treatment Ain · Grouville frustrated by a group of young people to grow into compassionate and socially responsible person.
    (2) Fiction
    (3) in the movie My favorite part is to raise their own funds, to invite those Dutch women who bravely during World War II to protect their family to California to visit and communicate with them
    (4) My least favorite part is their particular discipline chaos
    (5) I learned from the movie that people should learn from each other, out of the world, to see the world outside scenery, tenacious growth in the face of adversity.

• Li Fengxian, if this was your own work, then I would be highly impressed ... I hope you could follow some parts of the movie and that you would take some of those lessons from the movie on your own road in life. Oh, btw, Ms G's name was Erin Gruwell .. :)

• Shao Shuang, if this was your own work, then I am impressed by the effort ... (I'm not looking at the many careless mistakes; I'm referring to the content). Yes, I believe this world today need many more such teachers like Ms G ... teachers who can win the students' hearts through their understanding, trust and caring for their students.

• I noticed that you added some parts like the "Developing fluency"in next class and the " intonation practice"after next class,It's useful and good for us.And the movie,Let me saw a different life.The woman,I think,very strong-willed and noble.Her devoted in her career,She was full of love for her life and her students,as a woman,she do so many works to help students to develop better,her proved her life value by these hard efforts and pay.From her,I learned one person wanna do something well,her/he must dare to devote,It's must from her heart,follow her heart.As for the resistances,like other's didn't understand,her husband's left,etc,If one person have a dream or strong will,these will be small,can help one person stronger.A woman like her will have her happiness one day!See you,teacher!

• Yes, but the intonation practice is for the next class (Week 6b). By this time you also know what the "Developing fluency" was about (the polemical statements). We'll do (discuss) some of those statements at another occasion. There were some good statements there and it deserves further discussion!

You said a woman like her would have happiness one day! But as you've seen yourself, in the process of getting that happiness, it also cost her sadness (the divorce). But when I read about her life now, I think there must be truth in what you say as she appears to be quite happy (despite being still single with no children). She gets much fulfillment in what she is doing lately as she is preparing teachers to help students as she'd done when she was young.

Btw, I can't reply to all the comments; there are just too many! I am on the website every evening during the week and most Sunday evenings too, but I can't come by! So, I do it randomly. I do read EVERY comment (as you deserve that I do that), but I decide to comment when I think there is something I have to add or ask. And I haven't finished the comments for Week 6a yet! Be patient! ;-)

This reply was deleted.