Week 5: Wednesday, 19 March 2014

(1) http://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

A student from each class will tell us about the latest EC news by Tara. There is a written script of the news too, but I suggest students listen to the news first (and maybe even a few times till you understand it) as that is actually the purpose of this exercise (to practice your listening skills).

(2)

Movie: We will watch "The Freedom Writers" and at the next class in Week 6 we will discuss the content. As you don't have something to discuss before the movie, I suggest the comments should concentrate on the EC news item for this and/or next week (the latest item gets posted Monday evening). Please don't copy the written script (that is plagiarism); use your own words to describe. It doesn't have to be long comments. And those comments that are copied, would be ignored.

The comments for Week 6a would be about the movie as I would then give you a few questions to discuss.

P.S. Class 1 and 2 will watch the movie together at 201 Yunhui at 1.30pm (3rd class).

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sometimes watching the news is indeed a good way to exercise a foreign language, if China can receive live, then so much the better. Unfortunately, I did not understand English. But I'm learning Japanese would often watch Japanese NHK broadcast. Said the Japanese, I do not understand English one, why not give me a pass.

• Thank you for the comment, Li Fengxian. However, you have to understand that this is an oral ENGLISH class. I can't help that you are in this class. Now that you are in this class, you have to do something to learn this language. If I don't see any improvement with you from last semester, then it tells me that you are not interested and you don't care. I can then not pass you. I passed you and the girls from Tibet in the first semester, but it wasn't that any of you deserved that; I just gave you all one chance with the hope that you all would grasp the opportunity and work harder during the next semester. Not all of you tried to improve last semester, and you know what the result was. If you, and anyone in your class, want to pass or do well, you all have to show me that you are working harder on your English and that you deserve to pass, or to do well. I hope you will understand this.

• Tibet they are learned English in addition to the letters I do not understand anything outside so you can not take them more than me and the school is not fair to me so I was very angry wronged. I do not know how your eyes can be hard, but I think I worked hard enough, but you may find that many university courses I can not only learn English. Assigned to the school curriculum, I was very unhappy. You can not imagine how painful it is to allow 90 minutes for a semester on a Chinese foreigners do not understand Chinese. So I have put down but still failed to give me so I was unhappy why only I was failing

• Thank you for your reply, Li Fengxian (though I didn't follow all you said). Sorry if you think I have wronged you. I will never wrong someone on purpose as it can never give me any pleasure to do that. But I am surprised about your reaction as you said yourself that you don't know English and you are only studying Japanese. How can you demand then that you should pass a language you don't know and don't speak?

I passed all other students as according to my submission (my experience of their performances) they did enough to pass. I have even seen a slight improvement among the girls from Tibet. Unfortunately I was of the opinion that you didn't show me progress from the previous semester and I had to do what I believed to be the right thing to do (being not to pass you). Look at your score for your vocabulary paper. You got the lowest score in both the classes. It was a sign to me that you didn't even try to get to learn some of the new words we have done through the semester. And your oral wasn't much better (you should know that). This wasn't a decision I made easily. It wasn't a pleasure to do that to you while believing I did the right thing.

I can understand that the university treated you unfairly (like with the other Japanese language students) by insisting you attend an English class while you wanted to study another language. But I can do nothing about it. I would like to go and talk to Admin about it and tell them that I believe it to be wrong, but this is China and we know such freedom would not be allowed. I am however also wondering why all you Japanese language students come to study at Liao Gongda while you know they don't have the correct curriculum for you? It doesn't make sense to me. And it is not about a foreigner not knowing the Chinese! One doesn't have to know anything about another culture to know that a person can, or can't, speak a language!

So, what now? My advice to you is to continue working (studying) on this language as you don't have any choice. Show me that you are learning the vocab and you are practicing to speak the language and I will not ignore your efforts. I am not unsympathetic toward you and I will notice when I see extra effort from you. One day you wouldn't be sorry that you did have to learn some English as in this global world it wouldn't be enough to only speak Chinese and Japanese if you really want to excel in life. Get some vision! And good luck! :)

• Mr. Xie Xie Although you do not see, but I think I tried that although the results are not good English I am now beginning to learn the most basic difference is so great with them, so I hope you can be my novice standards do judge, I know you are very principled man, so I hope you can take care of your principles like my principles, I would be very grateful, thank you for your advice and encouragement, I will do my best to learn the language, only hope my criteria can be reduced.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Li Kaiyu, thank you for this, probably the best comment on this topic. I can see you put some thought into this. You touched on many issues one can react to, but I don't have the time to reply to everything. In short, just the following: Yes, most families don't want to have a disabled child, but when they get one, it is absolutely heartless to dump that baby somewhere (if there isn't one of those baby hatch facilities, they dump these babies in the streets, the gutters, you name it - a national shame).

Of course infants are innocent; and yes, the obligation is on the parents to care for their own baby. There are always 2 people involved for a child to be born, but isn't it funny that it's usually the girl or woman ending up with the responsibility and the boy/man walks away unscathed and avoiding his responsibility?

But I don't agree with two of you points: You asked, "If we don't like them,why do we deal with them in early pregnancy?" I think I know exactly what you meant (as that is Chinese thinking). I guess you meant that if the pregnancy is in its early stages, it is better to abort the baby, right? And secondly, you said: "I think antenatal examination is very important for pregnant women". I believe your meaning there has the same "treatment" in mind, namely abortion again, because the mother can then see whether the fetus (the baby, in the true sense of the word) has something wrong with it (like a disability) and of course, if it's a girl and the parents want a boy, they can still abort the child, right? And that is so immoral and wrong! But of course you don't know that as you grew up in a society where abortion was acceptable. Let's leave this point here.

I agree also that abandoning a child is totally wrong, but do you really think it will help this problem of abandoning babies if China has more organizations to help? It would never stop until the root of the problem is addressed. And for that, people's hearts have to change.

• i haven't seen the film.so i will comment more about the news.let me the deepest impression is "the baby hatch closed in china.i have seen a lot on television about parents abandoned themselves children.maybe those parents have their own difficulties.but this kind of behavior is really unacceptable. so the goverment maybe take this measure to reduce this kind of circumstance.in a word,i hope there are rapidly improvement of the population quality in the world.and try not to appear this situation anymore.

http://film.so/
  • It is said that the movie was made up from a story happened in our daily life.I searched some information about the movie.Many people say that they are touched by the woman teacher's behaviors and the movie is wonderful. I wanna watch the movie.

As for the news,it is very close to our life.I think the aim of the centre is good.It can reduce the amount of children to be left in the street.But that too many parents left their kids in the centre also leads to problems.Parents should improve their responsibility to look after their baby.If they have troubles in feeding children,they can ask the public for help,instead of giving up them.

http://good.It/
    • Yes, Nicole, the movie was based on a true story that had happened around 1999 in the US. Today  Ms G has a big organization and website (the Freedom Writers Foundation) and they help many under-privileged children to get their education.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yes Zhou Jia, people are morally bound to bring up the children they bring into this world and to take care of them. But the problem is that there are people out there with no morals, or no consciences ... And no love.

This reply was deleted.