Mini-debate: Cell phones in the Classroom.

The format would be the same as the past semester as I believe it to be more effective than the usual debate format. A proper debate can only work when the participants speak the language in which the debate is contested, fluently. Therefore this format we are applying gets my approval and support. So, we'll read the passage about the topic together, answer the questions in small groups of 4, and then finally, the debate questions will be contested in those small groups. I hope you will enjoy it.

ESL Library - Mini debates - Cell phones in the class.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Zhang Qian, I agree with your last statement, and if the teacher is responsible for the boring class, he shouldn't blame the students for entertaining themselves! But I still believe that an oral language class is different and should be treated differently. Problem is that with oral English, not all students want to be there. Even if the class may be exciting, they would still be bored as they are not interested. And then there are the students who don't follow the teacher easily. Their concentration level is also low and they would too prefer to rather use the phone to keep them occupied. Maybe the challenge for the oral English teachers is bigger!

• This reply was deleted.
    • Problem with that is, Camille, if the phone is to be used as dictionary, it has to be turned on. And if the sound is not off, or if a message is received, then it compromises the class discipline immediately. So, their is a class of priorities. I don't have a solution yet except if I can afford 32 e-dictionaries. Then the problem is solved!

• I think you can carry a cell phone in class as long as the phone is silent enough. Because the phone has a translator, computers, dictionaries and other learning functions.

• The debate can giving a chance to practice our spoken language.In debates,we will express our feelings about topics.Well in the question of using cell phone in class,I think we should under the premise of respecting teachers and our study.Last class you said we can use the cell phone in the class as dictionary but not for messages,I think it's reasonable.See you tomorrow,teacher!

• Maybe it is reasonable ... but I hope the students would show me that they are worthy of my trust ... ;-)

• I agree with you, Annabel, that we should actually be strict about the using of phones in the classrooms as it surely would badly effect the class discipline, as you have pointed out. I know from experience when I allowed the use of phones in my classes what chaos it have caused (so badly that students complained about it afterwards and asked me not to allow it anymore!).

I'm happy to see your comment about Tara's news section. It is popular and it is helping many students to practice their listening skills. Thanks for investigating that. Xie Zhengfeng from Class 2 has reported on the news in Wednesday's class; he's even written the whole news item down in his notebook; it must have taken him some time to do it. But he's succeeded to impress the teacher! I may ask your class too tomorrow if someone has prepared it. From next week onwards it would definitely form part of the weekly classes!

• I am happy to learn of your intention to give your best in class, Yi Xizhuoma. Show me at the end of this semester how you have improved. I know you can. ;-)

• So glad to hear that ... I'm going to trust you to keep it like that ..! ;-)

• Xiang Balazhen, you have not mentioned ONE word about the lesson content! I hope your next effort with the next lesson would be an improvement.

• Some valid points, thank you Shirley. In last semester's vocab paper in one of my other classes, some girls used their cell phones to cheat despite the clear instructions that I did not want to see or hear a mobile phone in that class. Maybe I should approach the vocab tests differently. About keeping all classroom matters inside the classroom ... I don't agree with that; but we'll discuss that tomorrow.

This reply was deleted.