(1) Music lesson: "Ka-Ching" by Shania Twain.

P.S. Would Li Xiupeng and Xiao Hao again be so kind and bring your sound systems to the classroom please?! I have the music on a USB memory stick which I will bring along. Thank you. [Pse warn me at least a day before class if you can't help out!]

(2) Group discussion about holiday highlights and disappointments.

Note:

This is our first lesson for the new semester. We will continue with the same concept as on the other website and for all your comments, you would be allocated one mark (one percentage point) towards your final semester score. This time the total score for EC comments would be 20 marks.

Please submit your comments BEFORE each lesson as the purpose of this system is to encourage you to go through the lesson material before we have the lesson. I am not going to consider your comments if done after the lesson of any specific day (though you are welcome to comment after the lesson again, but your marks would only be for comments prior to the week's lesson). Students' command of English is not good enough to attend the class without being prepared for the lesson. Diligent students would use this opportunity to improve their language skills.

Finally, I am only going to discuss the website comments with you in the first class. Thereafter it is up to you what you decide about participation on this website. Students that don't participate at all, can't expect to pass this semester. And students that don't comment regularly, should not expect to do well this semester. I am doing this to help my students. If you don't want to accept my good intentions with this initiative, I can't help for that. But I trust that you would be sensible enough to make use of another opportunity (as you get here) to secure yourself a better future. :)

LOTS_OF_MONEY_AND_THINGS_SS.pdf

[]Ka-Ching-Shania Twain.mp3

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, you and Amy Chen were in the same city this holiday and you both can do skiing! That must have been your highlight, Zhang Qian?! I'll hear from you in class on Wednesday!

• I listened to this song.It has a special rhythm。In my opinion,it has a special rhythm.Because there is a special instrument in it.But ,in fact ,i don`t like this song because i can`t appreciate  its melody.Its main theme is very approaching our life .It shows us that in the contemporary  society,it is  full of  greedy .Everyone,no matter the adults  or the children knows and learns how to earn money ,it is a very common phenomenon .Maybe we should learn to spend more time on enjoy the life.I am looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday`s class .Thank you John.

SONG.IT
    • You and Bao Zhengchao have something in common, Sabrina ... both of you don't like the song! But that doesn't matter as we can't all like the same songs and type of music (the world would have been such a boring place of that was true!). The message from the song is what is important here, I believe. And from the comments I noticed that most students have identified it and are not in agreement with that kind of self-destructive and hypocritical lives the North Americans used to live (living as wealthy, but rotting in debt).

Yes, I am happy too to see the old faces again! About your double accounts, I'll ask Tara to cancel your second one (the one with your name starting with a capitol letter as I see you are using the other account). We are not allowed to have more than one account here. I have two, but that is for practical reasons to test some of my actions on the website (without having to ask students every time) and they'd granted me permission for that. So, hope it's okay with you.

• ok,i use this account so you can cancel  the other one.thank you.

• I didn't cancel it as I can't! But I ask them to do it and they did! But they said that you could have done it by yourself as the settings to your profile makes provision for that. Doesn't matter. Now you have one account again. And you can go to your profile settings and change your name again if you want to (for example, change your name again to a capital letter, Sabrina!). Your choice! ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Annabel, I think Shania Twain's composed this song just to reflect the money worship she's experienced in North America (Canada and of course the US). Maybe she's living like that too, but it's my guess she's more likely trying to expose the hypocrisy of the North Americans (believing money is everything, buying what they set their eyes on, pretend to be wealthy, but knee deep in debt). I'm very worried that China may follow that road too ...

• Wow Wu Meng, you have a gf?! Are you not still too young for that?! I think Ke Song should give you some advice ...! :)

• Well Ke Song, then you are one of the exceptions if this website doesn't suit you! Get used to it and use it if you are really interested to improve your English! If you don't care, don't worry and don't visit! But remember there would be consequences, as all our actions have consequences!

The other website was 'suitable' as nothing was going on there! This website is buzzing with activities 24/7. I guess it is too busy for your comfort! I personally believe that this single website can help any student to substantially improve their language skills in one semester if the student is prepared to spend time on the website, get familiar with it, and use the many features that are designed to assist the English learners.

Your choice. I hope you choose right! ;-)

• Glad you had a memorable holiday, Yang Yujia. You ate a lot of delicious ... what?! You mean 'foods'?! I haven't heard Shania Twain's song "Up" before. But I think she has a good voice; so, that can be a good song too?! Yes, I'm glad too to be back with all you class 12 students ... but I'm not so sure that 'all' missed me ... you should know by now that I didn't allocate good scores to a lot of students ...! However, I hope there would be much improvement this semester! ;-)

• Yes, and I am happy to be back with my Class 12's! Why? Because I missed you all too! Glad to note that you are positive about this website! I am convinced that the student who regularly participates and use the many features available on the site, will improve substantially. Mark my words! Wow, from Turkey?! Great! ;-)

This reply was deleted.