(1) Wednesday, 4 June:

Class 1: Visit to Shoushan

As Class 2 wouldn't have class on Monday, we won't have an official class on Wednesday (except if you insist), but we'll pay a visit to Shoushan again. It would be required from each student to chat with the teacher for at least one minute about her/his plans for the summer holiday. We can do this early morning at 8pm (start of first class), or even earlier if you want to watch the sunrise. Or we can go late afternoon after the heat of the day (and maybe watch the sunset). Li Xiupeng can tell me what the class has decided.

Some students (females, of course!) suggested rather going to the beach ... I will consider that only on one condition: That the boys of Class 1 give me an undertaking to accompany me to Shoushan on a weekend before the summer holiday as I need some help there for a little task ... You can tell me also on which weekend so that we can secure that date.

Class 2:

Pse take note that you won't have an oral English class on Wednesday as you would have this class on Friday together with Class1. All students from class 2 are being invited to join our little expedition if you are not too lazy that day (we know you don't have class that day!).

(2) Friday, 6 June

a. Goodbyes ...

So, we have reached the time of the year that one foreign teacher in China never looks forward to. And this time 'round it looks like it would indeed be our very last class together ... I therefore just want to thank each and everyone of you for a great time we had together. Yes, there were times that I might have failed you and that I got upset or angry and felt obliged to 'haul you over the coals'/reprimand some of you, but despite that, I know in my heart that I enjoyed every time I'd been with you two classes. Please accept my apologies for failing you at times (especially when I got upset or angry). But I still think this was our best semester together as we have grown closer. Thank you to each of you who had made a contribution to make our classes as pleasant as it was, however small it had been. I have taken note of many such efforts. I really appreciate all of you. And I will never forget you, never.

b. Awards of Appreciation

The categories for this semester would be as follows:

Best role plays: Class 1 and 2

Best actresses and actors: Class 1 and 2 (sorry, no prizes here, only recognition!)

Best result in vocab paper: one student (or shared, if scores are tied)

Best EC comments: Class 1 and 2

Best progress: Class 1 and 2

A few 'special thank you' awards to some students - they would know why ..

c. Movie: Erya 121:

We'll end our classes by watching a truly great movie (trust me for this pse!) with an inspirational message for your life journey. There would be something in for everyone's taste (I hope!) - some action for the boys, a love story for those who like to inspire their dreams, and even a western wedding for the girls! Hope you like it.

P.S.

Xiao Hao/Li Xiupeng, can I ask you guys to please ask Maintenance (does Liao Gongda have some unit like this ..?!) to fix the first entrance door to that classroom (room 121) so that we can properly close that door and watch our movie in peace? I will really appreciate that.

Oh, and while you talk with those guys, please ask them too (I'm being opportunistic now ..!) to replace the defective globe at the light in the passage above the ATM on the first floor of Erya. I often withdraw money there after my evening classes and one can't really see what you're doing without light there (it's been like that for more than ONE year now and no one is doing something about it!); and many students would appreciate that too! Thank you.

Then I end off with my high school motto in Latin:

SOL JUSTITAE ILLUSTRA NOS!

MAY THE SON OF RIGHTEOUSNESS SHINE UPON YOU!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for reporting those two maintenance issues to the manager. I am not sure whether they would be prepared to do something about it as the light wasn't working for more than a year now without anyone bothering to repair it (or just change the globe); so, why doing it now?! And apart from that, I don't think they are used to somebody reporting breakages for repairs! I guess the door has also been broken for quite a while without anyone caring to report it, or repair it .. So, let's wait and see. Maybe we'll get a surprise! ;-)

• Thank you, Xiao Hao, for your comment and sharing your heart and perspective. I am glad that you feel you have benefited through our classes. Though I still do not agree with you about that teacher you are referring to (that so-called "good" one!), I guess you can think what you like; and if that is what your heart tells you, I guess I can't tell your heart to reconsider! Nonetheless, don't be so modest yourself ... you know what an important role you played in our class, and I know that without your support and positive contributions, our classes would not have been the success you believe it to have been (and I know the girls of that class would all agree ..!). You are a model class monitor and one a teacher can be proud of having in his class. Thank you for that support, and your always positive attitude. Yes, I agree we should continue our custom of having a meal together. I would enjoy that too, and I will surely contact you in the new year. To tell you a little secret ... me and my class monitor from Class 10-2 and some of his male classmates are still meeting weekly for a lunch! Unfortunately that little routine of ours would come to an end this semester as they are all leaving after graduation (except for Tony who was in that class during his freshman year). :(  So, I guess it's time for a fresh group to continue the tradition ...! ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Haha, Lavender! Was that you?! I can still remember that funny name (okay, funny in English as it is not a person's name, but not funny in Chinese as a name!)! Sorry that I motivated you to change it (I know lavender is a beautiful shrub with fragrant purple flowers and they make perfume from it, which btw, is  very popular among western girls and most of us men love it - and love the girls using it, haha!); but you know my motivation for that was sincere, not so?! Oh, and I'm not surprised that you were initially scared of me ... as I often hear that from students that they had the same feelings in the beginning! No, I am surely not proud of that! I actually wish I can get rid of that image or characteristic as I don't really think that is me (in my heart)! However, I also understand that that fear of this teacher mostly don't last for the whole semester! To be honest, actually, I have a freshmen class now (13-1 Inter Trade) that are ten times worse in English than your class have ever been at any time! So, needless to say that, to my embarrassment and regret, I don't frequently smile in that class ... Oh, I suddenly feel like a criminal as they are actually a bunch of the sweetest students one can wish to have (23 girls and two boys) ..! But oh boy, can they make me mad ... I am sure some of them are today, after one semester together, still scared of me (I saw that in class this morning ...). No, I'm not proud of it; it actually hurts me (honestly). And no, surely I don't hate them; I love them too! Remember what I said about my mom (did I tell your class?)? She had often scolded me in anger, and had beaten many good behavior patterns into me, but she loved me to the end, I know (she died in 1997 from cancer). So, I guess you would understand a little more about where this imperfect teacher is coming from, right ...? :)

But Annabel, please don't say that I'm such a teacher ... you can say that to others if you believe it! I know very well (very well) how imperfect I am. I am aware of my many shortcomings (you know too by now) and I know how often I'm erring in my classes and in other areas of my life. I think I did try my best in every class, however (though I also am aware of the fact that one's best isn't always good enough - as mine wasn't always as I know how I have failed my classes at times). What I can also tell you, is that I am determined to improve myself and would never accept my shortcomings and errors. Learning about oneself and from others should never stop. One of my motto's in life is that a person is never too old to learn. I even learn from my students ... ask Tony how he is teaching me to have more patience! So, this teacher is so imperfect! But, I am happy to read about your progress in our classes and that you learned some things to prepare you on this road of life we all have to walk.

Finally, thank you for this comment and the nice perspective you gave me on our classes and your perception of it. And thank you for your attitude in the classroom which was always a positive one as far as I can remember. Oh, and then I hope I will be as strong as you Friday ... rest assured, I will try my best! ;-)

• I am happy to read that you also feel that you have made good progress during our three semesters of English together. I think so too! Please forgive me for giving you such scares in the beginning, in particular. I am not proud of myself for that kind of behaviour I have displayed. You may read my comment to your friend about that; you may get some more perspective on the issue then, I think. But I am glad I did not scare you out of the classroom and that eventually you adapted to the teaching style and even benefited by it in some ways. It was a pleasure to teach you. Thank you for your own good attitude and contributions. You didn't know it, but you were always one of my special students as I always have a soft spot for the timid, and the ones tender in spirit, like you. Look after yourself (and I'm sure Wen Xin will also keep an eye on you)! ;-)

• Time flies,from first grade till now,more than one year has gone,during these time,I had changed a lot in  my psychology I think,I became gradually to find the beauty in the process no matter in learning or life.When I was a freshman,I didn't like all things in this University,but now I gradually accept it and find the beauty in it.Our oral class,I think the content has improved compared with last year indeed.This semester added the news and more chances the practice oral English.We can understand each other better than one year ago.I wanna thanks for your eyes of finding my little progress,I pay attention to it in my heart.Your recognition is my reward.I'm reluctant to the end,I still can't image and believe how time flies.Good luck!See you,teacher!

• Yes, time flies indeed and this week our three semesters together are coming to an end! It still feels like just last year when we started our road together! I know you said before that you feel the course content has improved since we started. Thank you again for that observation. I would never take credit for myself, but I must agree with you that it is indeed my own perception too that somehow there was improvement from the teacher's side .. I noticed that as we progressed through the lessons and I noticed improvement from some students. I am very grateful for the lessons the English educators are uploading on the Internet so that we can use it for our students. Some of these lessons are for free (like the ones on this website); others we have to pay for, but I don't mind to pay for a good cause! Tara, our administrator here, is one of those teachers designing lessons for our English classes which I frequently use. So, yes, I think you are correct in that there was also improvement in respect of the content!

I am in my fifth year now with Liao Gongda, and in the fourth year at this campus, and there are still things at this campus I don't appreciate (and would never!). I have just taught myself to accept it, though not approving of it! In that area you are again better than me as it sounds like you have accepted it more readily! It's better for one's health, I think! And yes, you know, and I know, that you made progress (good progress in my eyes!) over these three semesters. I am happy for you! ;-)

• Yeah,I don't know what you are feeling about when you first teaching in this school,but I was so upset when I first came this college.But when I turn my attitude of all the things in this college is two years later,almost too late.I just face my situation now,try to enjoy my part of there,and as you say,it helpful to our healthy.So just to be who I am,it's not value that I can't do what I should done just because outside is not good.See you,teacher!And I expect next class!

• Well, if you agree with Shi Ning, then tell mr Li that and I will hear from him tonight. I don't mind which time we go, though I would also prefer the late afternoon as I think the sunset would be great to watch (and as you said, we'll have more time to walk). However, we can even go in 2 groups if some want to walk in the morning and the others in the late afternoon; I will go with both! But, the class can decide!

Thank you, Yang, Lingling, I will miss you dearly too. I wish your wish can become true about walking with your class till the end at Liao Gongda, but I agree it to be unrealistic as the university have their program you have to follow. However, let's then concentrate on the positive from our time together and always think back to these days with some good memories in our hearts. I am glad to read that you have learned some things in class that you can take with you on this road of life; it is my hope that it'll help you on that road. And I'm happy to hear that you would continue working on your English! Never stop; the reward would be above your expectation - trust me on that! ;-)

• Thank you, Wen Xin, for this input and further perspective. I'm glad to read what you say about your own performance in class. In a way I can understand that it would be easier to talk in class as that is a protective environment, but outside class one isn't sure what to expect. Though, it shouldn't be much different than in the class situation, I'd like to believe. About the 'getting angry episodes' ... well, it may be as you said that I care for the students (it is of course true!), and it is also true that I really have the desire that my students should improve themselves. However, nothing can justify a teacher's behaviour to get angry in class, I believe. Even if he has good reason (under normal circumstances), it is still not the place to get angry. So, to my regret, I must admit that to be my one weakest spot - that temper. I don't enjoy it myself and I am always (always) regretful afterwards when it happened. But I can assure you that I would never accept that behavior of myself and would always try the next class to be more composed and try to apply more self-control. I am very fortunate that the classes are so forgiving and always grant the teacher another chance while he doesn't always deserve it!

I'm happy to read that you would continue to study English. You know yourself that you would never regret such a decision. I always said that "English is the key that unlocks the world to the student", and I will always stand by that in future as I believe that to be true and valid. I wonder why you mentioned Fernando Torres' quote ..?! He was my favourite player during the last World Cup in my country in 2010! I heard he might be ready to play again this year in Brazil (he was not playing that well for a while)! So, he'll be one of my 3 favourites again should he play this year! The other two are Wesley Schneider from the Dutch team (The Netherlands) and Mesut Ozil from Germany. So, if you can quote a football player, I am sure you must like at least a little about football, right?! If correct, I hope your favorite team (and player) would do well in Brazil! The team I favour will be the Dutch team (as my forefathers originated from the Netherlands)! ;-)

Good wishes to you too. I am looking forward to see the new Wen Xin! Look, she has to be good if she wants to better than the current one ...! :)

• Yes Blue Eyes, I am too not really looking forward to Friday as I know I can't trust myself .. But I know there is no way out; so, I guess I have to face the truth! You are right, I will never forget your "young teacher" with which you persisted (I guess you saw my heart somehow ..); I'm not called that quite often anymore!

But thank you for the sweet words; as I know it comes from your heart, I don't have to doubt the sincerity of them. It is interesting to read how one has been perceived by some students, and what effect one had on them. However, I am not sure whether I deserved all the good words as you know how many shortcomings I have (and displayed in the classroom at times ...!). But at least I believe you know that I have tried my best (though I know very well it wasn't always good enough).

I agree. Let's make this last day the start of a new time! We would still be on the same campus for at least the next two years and we don't have to become foreigners to one another! Shoushan would not run away from us, and we can even visit again together in future, or have some meals together like I had this semester with some of the boys (and girls!) from your classes. But it would not be the same ... I will miss you all from my classes so much. ;-)

This reply was deleted.