Week 15: Wednesday, 28 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

Please LISTEN to the latest news of the week by Tara.

(2) Feedback on the orals (and voting for best performances, and best actress and actor)

(3) The Customer is always right: Discussions about a conversation with a customer. Some of you would still do other English exams later this semester and this would be your last opportunity to practice your oral English in class.

(4) Vocabulary exercise

The vocab paper would have the same format as before with mostly multiple choice questions and also a few words to be written. If you revise the vocab we learned through the semester, you don't need to stress. Please try to prepare as some of you need a good score here as not all of you performed that well during our orals this week. Good wishes to you.

12 - W14a - The customer's always right.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for a well-balanced comment about all aspects of the lesson. It is a little sad to me that there are such a negative attitude from the authorities about using drones for domestic purposes like delivering food. I agree with you that it's actually very cool and so innovative. Drones do not have to be used in wars only. People should change their thinking about it, I believe.

There were great performances in both classes. I feel a little remorseful for wanting to let the classes choose only one winner as there were so many winners. But how can one do it otherwise? It would be difficult to award everyone (though about everyone deserves an award as everyone tried hard to make a success of their performances). In my heart though, I see many winners when I look at my students. :)

I also agree with you about the customers/dealers question. I don't see it working in China. There is a different dynamism here between people which one doesn't always find in the western countries. I personally believe there are also not sufficient trust and respect among Chinese people in general to have good customer/dealer relationships. Much improvement is required in this area. ;-)

• The news “ pizza delivered by drone” said “ there is a pizzeria which deliver pizza by remote-controlled drones called “quadcopter”. Some police and securities concerned about the security risk. But Amazon the world’s largest online retailer hopes the similar service will be available within five years. I think the drone service is interesting, it will be developed deeply in the future.

Last week’s role play is interesting, and I think the best performances are Wangfei and Lusia, and the best actress and actor are Suxu and Xiaohao.

About the topic “ consumer is always right”, I think in service area, consumer is the most important role, seller should respect them, but it does not represent they are always right . Every people should have a value.

I can not believe it is the end of our lesson, I will cherish .

• Yes, much of the relationship between the customer and the dealers should be about respect. In the western countries, one would add trust too. Whether this would work in China, remains to be seen. Are there sufficient respect and trust between people here to have good customer relations? I am not sure about that as I have witnessed too many rude and disrespectful customers here in my five years in the country. Maybe it'll improve in future.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, there are much talent in both the classes and we've seen excellent performances. I was fortunate to have watched both shows! Maybe we should do it together next time so that all can see and enjoy (okay, with my future classes then ..). About the customers' rights, I am in doubt that it would ever work in China as I think it is more of a western concept as customer/dealer relationships are different there and have been built up over a long period of time.

• Thank you for the compliment. I am however not so sure that I really deserved that as you know yourself that I have many shortcomings. I am glad if you feel there was improvement in your class' English skills.

About the customers, I agree with you. If you have the time, pse look at my reply to Liu Yi (second paragraph) as to why I don't believe that concept can work in China. I don't know whether you would agree with me, but that's okay with me. ;-)

• I agree with you that the customers can't be always right; well, not in China! Please see my comment to Liu Yi above (second paragraph) where I explained my reasons. Maybe you won't agree, but that's okay with me! :)

•         Last class performance is really wonderful, I like wang and Lusia's performance. Really think they are like actors, I guess they must be the most votes. And Su Xu, Wen Xin performance is also very good, is great.

Tomorrow is a discussion of customer problems, I feel that if in the face of an unreasonable customer, I could to reason with her firstly,but if she is still  bad, I wouldn't have been tolerated.  Although customers need to respect, each person there is no reason to unlimited meet the requirements of unreasonable, when it is necessary to maintain their own interests and power.This is the last class to practice speaking, continues to struggle together, and learn and move forward!

• I agree that there were many wonderful performances from your classmates; such great talent! About the customers, you are quite right about their behaviour that must be respectful. I have explained to Liu Yi why I think it can't work in China (see the second paragraph if you want). Maybe it would change in future; let's hope so!

• Yes, there would be always tension between customer and seller if trust and respect are absent. It works both ways and both customer and dealer would benefit through the showing of mutual respect and trust. But it doesn't happen overnight; that is something that must be established over a long period of time.

Well, if you have prepared, you don't have to be scared and you will be successful! ;-)

• You are right that good customer relations very much depends on mutual respect - but also on mutual trust. My question is whether those two ingredients, respect and trust, exist sufficiently in China as I haven't seen so much of that in some businesses where I've shopped (no, not always in respect of myself, but I've witnessed how rude some customers can be to the dealers or their helpers). I personally have had more positive experiences than negative ones when shopping, and I am very grateful for that. Though, I have been witness to much disrespectful treatment between Chinese customers and Chinese dealers. A pity that their are not more respect between Chinese people directly. I sometimes feel bad when I realized that I received better treatment because of being a foreigner. Let's hope things will change for the better in the near future. :)

This reply was deleted.