Week 15: Wednesday, 28 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

Please LISTEN to the latest news of the week by Tara.

(2) Feedback on the orals (and voting for best performances, and best actress and actor)

(3) The Customer is always right: Discussions about a conversation with a customer. Some of you would still do other English exams later this semester and this would be your last opportunity to practice your oral English in class.

(4) Vocabulary exercise

The vocab paper would have the same format as before with mostly multiple choice questions and also a few words to be written. If you revise the vocab we learned through the semester, you don't need to stress. Please try to prepare as some of you need a good score here as not all of you performed that well during our orals this week. Good wishes to you.

12 - W14a - The customer's always right.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah, I share your curiosity about that new, innovative and cool way of delivering pizzas. A pity though about all the negativity surrounding it (I think one can blame the Americans for that negativity ...!). But I do hope Xing Cheng would get that system too!

I agree with the quality of the performances. I could see that most students in the two classes have prepared well. And I guess you must be right also that this kind of exam is very enjoyable! ;-)

About the customer question, you can see through my comments here that I am also of the opinion that it is not correct; surely not in China! Thank you for mentioning that saying in China about the customer being the god. I didn't know about that, but that explains a lot to me now about the behavior of Chinese customers. Suddenly I have better understanding for what I have seen and read over a five year period myself. Yes, some dealers do swallow bad behaviour by some customers because of the money, but I agree, one shouldn't 'sell one's soul' for money (do you know that expression?). Customers that can't behave and control themselves should not be allowed to shop wherever they display that behavior. But of course, in China they get away with that (often those customers are the leaders in the cities ... I have seen videos where some such leaders have even destroyed the furniture of some businesses or institutions because of anger as they didn't get their way). You refer to morals and dignity; that's correct too, I believe. Without that consciousness (and throw in respect and trust), customer relations in China would always remain virtually non-existent.

Lastly, thank you, Lusia, I don't know what to say. I am just happy if the students believe that they benefited through our classes. That's all. :)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Another interesting saying, Han Zeyue: "The wool is on the sheep's body". What is the meaning? I guess it is something about the relationship between the dealer and the customer, but I can't figure it out (though I guess the sheep is the customer, right?). Pse help this poor teacher! But this concept of customers' rights is a foreign one. I am not convinced that it would ever work in China! Oh, and I agree that we have some great actresses and actors in our classes!

• You are welcome, Kobie. I wish I could have had more success with my students, but I am the first one to admit that I have too many shortcomings (as you know very well) to have had better results. However, a teacher must be prepared to always try to improve; I will try. Btw, in the next class we'll discuss the news by Tara as well as a short lesson about customers' rights. You didn't mention any of that. So, I guess you missed it, right?

• Thanks for the comment, mr Huang. I agree with you about the customer question. In China they are surely not always (seldom!) right! Pse read my reply to Liu Yi about that issue. And then you can also look at my last paragraph to her about reading and writing and you may realize as to why you have made progress and how it may still help you in future. Then, I hope you would be better prepared this time for the vocab paper ...!

• Zhou Jia, if you heard about the news, who told you?! Was it Liu Yi? Are you sure she told you the news correctly? Or did you listen to the news yourself? If so, then you say, "I have listened to the news ...", and not "I have heard ...". Can you see the difference?

I agree that the service staff and dealers/businesses should be respectful toward the customers. I think that would be the right attitude and a good approach to good customer relations. But what if the customers misbehave? I noticed myself many customers that treat the staff of the business with plain rudeness and disrespect. What does one do then? I guess we can't blame many businesses who do not care about the customers, can we?!

• oh,i just wanna say it's so difficult to pick the best perform in the class . you know every group is great .in my mind ,i think rangyan and zhangqian's play is impress .and i also feel baima and kouyejia's play is good .
    in generally ,i believe all students are improve ,i can see that clearly .tomorrow we will have a test for our marks .i prepared long time ,i am expected this test ,see you .

• Zhang Cong, the lesson for the next class is not only about the performances. I agree there were good performances, but we are also going to discuss the news by Tara and there is another lesson about customers' rights. You didn't mention any of those. How did you miss it?

• I hope Liao Gongda would also get a drone model plane to deliver some pizzas; I would be one of the first customers as I love pizza! I agree that in China the customer is seldom right! I have witnessed too many occasions myself to know how rude, disrespectful and irrational some customers can get here. As I said to Wu Meng above, I believe the reason is because of the absence of two important ingredients, namely respect and trust. Without that customer relations can't exist.

• I agree that we were fortunate to have witnessed so many good performances. The Class 1 students have also done well. There is great talent among the students.

I think you are also right about the customers question as I can't see it working in China. Too many customers are too rude, irrational and disrespectful in their actions toward dealers and businesses; and many dealers and their workers too do not care much about the customers and giving good service. I think two important ingredients are absent in good customer/dealer relationships - respect and trust. If that does not exist, people would always regard the other with suspicion and often show disrespect. The right attitude must be cultivated in the heart.

• We were fortunate to have viewed some excellent performances last week; also in Class 2. There are so much talent among our students. I noticed that even Tibet has some outstanding actresses ... ! Btw, do you know we will have another lesson about customer relations? It looks like you missed it ...

This reply was deleted.