Week 15: Wednesday, 28 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

Please LISTEN to the latest news of the week by Tara.

(2) Feedback on the orals (and voting for best performances, and best actress and actor)

(3) The Customer is always right: Discussions about a conversation with a customer. Some of you would still do other English exams later this semester and this would be your last opportunity to practice your oral English in class.

(4) Vocabulary exercise

The vocab paper would have the same format as before with mostly multiple choice questions and also a few words to be written. If you revise the vocab we learned through the semester, you don't need to stress. Please try to prepare as some of you need a good score here as not all of you performed that well during our orals this week. Good wishes to you.

12 - W14a - The customer's always right.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree, there were such great performances, one doesn't really want to single out one of them. Most students were really well-prepared; that was very clear. Even in Class 2 there were such good performances. It's a pity the two classes couldn't watch each other's performances. Maybe I should combine it next time (I'll think about it).

Yes, it may be our last semester together ... But do you really think students keep in touch with their teachers?! I don't think so! I had some great classes at Liao Gongda, but only a handful of students would keep communication open; even some students with whom I thought I had good relationships. It hurts, but I learned that I have to accept it as students have their own lives to live after their English classes and in particular after finishing university. I guess that's how life is ... ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yes, I noticed that ... if I knew I would've remained strong, I would've given her a hug at the end as consolation, but you know I am a foreigner and our inner hearts are not so hard and we easily shed some tears too (as you already know ..)! But there were quite a number of other good performances too. I was really surprised.

• I have listen to the news Pizza Delivered By Drone.I heard this kind news on website before.It's amazing,science and technology make human get progress!And I understand the government worried about this matter,It will make terrorist attack easier.So,I think the government should enact relevant laws to control this matter.
    The topic customer is always right,I think it's not mean they are really right,it means as a seller,we should try to meet the need of theirs.Because we can get money from them.
    For the test,I will try my best to prepared it.See you,teacher.

Before.it - index
    • Yes, you may have a point there about the dealers who should give a good product and service so that his customers can return and he can stay in business! But I'm not sure that that would work in China ...! After five years here I have the idea (based on first-hand experience) that China doesn't have good service and the dealers don't really care much as there are so many people here, it doesn't matter whether a few wouldn't return. In the west such an attitude would be fatal for the business.

• Yes, I think the customer/dealer relationship in China is different from that of the west as there is little trust between them. Look at the second paragraph of my comment to Zhang Qian just above yours; I've tried to explain it there (though mostly my own opinion).

• Yes, there were great performances last week with the role plays, but the English wasn't always so fluent ... Maybe I used the wrong glasses last week! Pronunciation was a big problem. I could see that the students have mostly prepared well, but more attention was required on mastering the language better, I think. ;-)

• Yang Yujia, those drones they are referring to aren't the same as the ones they make war with. So, I can't see why the police wants to investigate. Maybe they are jealous that they don't have drones themselves. Oh, you think everyone was a winner last week with the role plays ... Interesting comment!

• Yes, your classmates and those in Class 2 had displayed great talent. I was really impressed.

About the consumer issue, I told Wang Lei that I am of the opinion that concept can't work in China as it is a western concept and I've only seen it work there. But China is different and I've seen myself such rude and disrespectful behaviour from customers that I can even understand why the businesses don't treat customers with such respect as the westerners do. I think in the area of business and how one treats others, China still has to learn much.

I believe some of you will do well in the vocab paper as I can see you take your English class seriously. That pleases a teacher very much. And then you have such a forgiving class ... I fail them, and they forgive; I fail them, and they forgive ... Undeserving. Thank you.

• Yes, I agree, there were good performances even among some of the boys. However, I'm not going to decide on performances and plots alone, The participants should also have displayed a good command of the language; otherwise our class can just as well be regarded as a drama class and not a language class!

Yes, that is one thing about China that annoys me very much - that people can cheat you or be rude to you and get away with it as if it is nothing. The aggressors don't have to take responsibility of their bad behaviour and is seldom reprimanded for that. I think both sales staff, but in particular the customers here, need to get much more education about how to treat others decently and with the necessary respect.

• Yes, I agree, there are outstanding actresses (and even a few boys!) in Class 12. I was quite surprised by the performances.

I guess it is a difficult concept in China for various reasons. In the West, that is what most businesses do - they give the customers the benefit of the doubt as the success of their businesses depends on good customer service and treatment. They very well know that a customer would not return if disrespected and treated badly, or getting cheated. So, they let the customers feel that they are important. We like that, and also the respect they show us.

It appears that in China it is another story. People do not always show respect to others (I've seen it too often); customers are rude to shop assistants, waitresses, managers, etc. And many a time those managers and workers may even be rude to the customers. I don't think China really understands the dynamism of "the customer is always right". Maybe it is a foreign concept that would never work in China.

This reply was deleted.