Week 15: Wednesday, 28 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

Please LISTEN to the latest news of the week by Tara.

(2) Feedback on the orals (and voting for best performances, and best actress and actor)

(3) The Customer is always right: Discussions about a conversation with a customer. Some of you would still do other English exams later this semester and this would be your last opportunity to practice your oral English in class.

(4) Vocabulary exercise

The vocab paper would have the same format as before with mostly multiple choice questions and also a few words to be written. If you revise the vocab we learned through the semester, you don't need to stress. Please try to prepare as some of you need a good score here as not all of you performed that well during our orals this week. Good wishes to you.

12 - W14a - The customer's always right.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh,John.

I'm so sorry I've not accepted a reply in the last week's comment.

But I noticed you give no one a reply.

So now I'm not very sad like when I first saw it.

I will write feedback by heart.

Oh,the consumer is always right.

I wonder whether you know China have a old saying.

Consumer is XXX.(I think you know what I mean.)

Oh,I really don't dare to say that word again.

I afraid you will be angry.

But China indeed have the saying and it often be said.

I've reminded our classmates that don't say that.

I think even though they've put you speech in their heart,they may say it unintentionally just like I did.

Sorry for that again,John.

And I'm ready for the vocabulary exercise.

Hope to see you in the day after tomorrow.

• Wang Lei, I posted only two comments in the previous lesson post and both have been to the two class monitors. Read it and then you would know why I didn't make any other comments. If the students read their emails they would not have commented as I said it wasn't necessary. You should also have gotten that email!

About the blasphemy in class ... I can't help if students use blasphemy (saying the name of G_d irreverently) outside of my classroom; it's their choice. But in my classroom and in my company I think I may decide what may be said and what not. I think most teachers are allowed to control their classrooms. I know the Chinese textbooks tell the students that is how one expresses exclamation (I read it with my own eyes), and I know Hollywood and those immoral Americans are teaching the movie viewers it is okay to say that. But it is still not right and I will oppose it till my last breath. Every semester I included it in my class rules, but it became clear to me that the students either don't care to respect class rules, or they don't understand when I read out those rules. I will make sure of that in future. Nevertheless, I am glad that at last you learned how serious I am about that rule. Just a pity that I chose to get upset with you and made the class very nervous with my outburst (specially those who still had to do their role plays at that point). For that I apologize to the class. I made a mistake as I should have rather discussed the issue with you afterwards. I hope we can close the case now.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Well, you and your partner have really surprised we with such an immaculate performance. I have noticed that some students must have spent hours of practice in preparation.

Then you are right about good customer service that'll ensure that a customer would either buy more, or that the customer would return. Good customer service is always important in most western countries. Sadly, I don't often see that here ..! :-(  ;-)

I am happy to hear from yourself that you like English (I think I noticed that too). Why not making sufficient progress ..? I suspect you are still not committed enough (for instance, I have seen you at English Corner only twice this semester) and there are still too many distractions that you regard as more important (amongst others, your student union affiliation and bf, to mention a few!) ... Sorry, but you know I don't tell lies (and I won't say things to just please people) and it is better to face the truth and do something about it. ;-)

Ask Rang Yan about the exams ... I think it was she telling me that there was another English exam to be done this semester (maybe BEC, I'm not sure).

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thank you for the first comment. I guess you visited the group to have a look at the Lesson Schedule I told you was posted here in the very beginning (11 March 2014) and then you decided to simultaneously do your lesson comment; good thinking!

About the role plays ... sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think they were not all perfect as you mentioned! However, I was quite surprised by most of them and I got the impression that most students have prepared well. I agree with you that Bai Ma is making good progress and I have noticed her performance with Liu Yan. And yes, the performance by Zhang Qian and Camille was also one of the best, I agree!

Lastly, thank you too, Fan Yixin; it was my honour to assist you and your class for another semester.

This reply was deleted.