(1) News by Tara for Class 2 on Monday, 19 May. We won't have time for the news at the second class this week as we will be engaged in the role plays and time is of the essence. There won't be a new news item out on Monday (only from Tuesday); so, you can choose your own news item from the list which we haven't done this semester.

(2) Learning English in Brazil: We'll continue Acitivities 6 and 7 about questions and discussions regarding the video we watched during the last class. In particular am I interested about your answer to question 11 from Activity 6.

(3) Discussion: Deforestation

We'll read a passage about the topic, learn some vocab, and enter into discussion through answering questions in small groups. What is deforestation about? Why should we be concerned about it?

"To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots". - Richard Mabey

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

12 - W14a - Deforestation.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am glad you found the way they learn English in Brazil very interesting, Yi Xizhuoma. I just hope you would be using some of their methods to improve your language skills too as the teacher can't do that for you ..

• This reply was deleted.
    • That is probably where most of the problems lie - people's greed. The rich and powerful control the economies of countries through their money, and they are always ready to make more money even if it would cost us our forests. What do they care about your children and grandchildren ..? Sadly, this is how it is in our world today.

• Xiang Balazhen, what are you and your friends doing to improve your English listening skills? Or don't you care and just want to get the English classes behind you?

What you wrote about deforestation makes good sense despite using the wrong English. I just wish I was convinced that it was your own thoughts ..

• You don't have to worry about Brazil's safety issues as you are not going to watch the World Cup there this year! So, why the concern?! South Africa has a higher crime rate than Brazil, but during the previous World Cup there, the crime was limited and we think even the criminals had taken thei annual leave ..! So, I think Brazil would have measurements in place to protect the players and fans. Relax Li Zhiping!

• It doesn't come as a surprise to me, Liu Yan, as those evolutionist scientists want us to believe the earth is more than 50 000 years old. Not all of us are falling for that nonsense! And about the size of that so-called titan(ic)osaur ... do they really think we are all idiots to believe that rubbish just because scientists said that?! If we have to believe everything the governments and the scientists tell us, we don't have to think anymore and can just as well donate our brains for research and spare those scientists using apes and other animals for that purpose!

• It would one day (soon) not only the birds and animals that'll become extinct, Bai Ma, human life will surely also be threatened when the last of the planet's forests is leveled to the ground. May the eyes of the greedy open before it is too late to turn back.

• Yes, I think so too, Kou Yejia. But this is China ... maybe your grandchildren may one day have that privilege ..!

As I said to Sabrina, paper is not even near being the worst culprit; but you mentioned the exact problems - disposable chopsticks and the building industry. If we want to curb deforestation, that is where the government has to take a strong stand and stop just talking and pretending, but start doing - police the laws against deforestation (which I understand from some students here, exists) and start educating the people to think differently about using disposable chopsticks, and about those craved after wooden floors in the houses and offices. That is where our trees are disappearing to. If that can be changed, we'll be on the right track to save what is left of the planet's forests.

• Candy, paper from trees is only a very small part of the consumption of trees. What about the building industry where the rich and upcoming middle class have an unsaturated taste for wooden floors and wooden furniture? And what about the 365+ billion disposable chopsticks China is using every year? Yes, the government should try together with the citizens to do something about it. The solution is in the hands of the people. But do they have the will to change ..?

• Oh,deforestation.

The issue of deforestation indeed drag my attention.

Because I very concern environment issue.

I‘m infinite sorrow when every time I see the XingCheng's dusky sky.

Why the sky become so duty??? WHY!!!

I think it is impossible that there is no relation with deforestation.

The circumstance has indeed puzzled me for long.

By the way,John,do you remember when the XingCheng's sky is the most blue latest.

It was just the next day of XingCheng raining all day.

That day sky was very blue,but it didn't last long.

EI~~~(EI's pronunciation in China is sigh.I attempted to look for pronunciation of sigh in English,but I couldn't find.)

I love the blue sky.

Hope the forest will not be chopped again.

John,do you hope so?

SEE YA.

• Well, I didn't notice in particular that the sky here is clearer after the rain, but I would guess it must be so! What I do remember is that there are not many days that I can see very blue skies and clear landscapes around me from Shoushan. I was lately starting to wonder about that as I know how beautiful XingCheng and Huludao are from the mountain top on a beautiful and clear day. So, you think they burn some vegetation here? I guess it must be some kind of pollution (but on some days, only mist from the sea). What worries me most of our immediate area, however, is that Shoushan's mountain paths get badly trampled by the many visitors (many from Liao Gongda, I notice) during spring and summers (not to even mention the littering). Next semester a new university will open at the foot of Shoushan, one that appears to be much bigger than Liao Gongda. It would take those new students only a day to discover Shoushan .. What is going to remain of that beautiful mountain after only one summer ...?

This reply was deleted.