(1) News by Tara for Class 2 on Monday, 19 May. We won't have time for the news at the second class this week as we will be engaged in the role plays and time is of the essence. There won't be a new news item out on Monday (only from Tuesday); so, you can choose your own news item from the list which we haven't done this semester.

(2) Learning English in Brazil: We'll continue Acitivities 6 and 7 about questions and discussions regarding the video we watched during the last class. In particular am I interested about your answer to question 11 from Activity 6.

(3) Discussion: Deforestation

We'll read a passage about the topic, learn some vocab, and enter into discussion through answering questions in small groups. What is deforestation about? Why should we be concerned about it?

"To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots". - Richard Mabey

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

12 - W14a - Deforestation.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rock, you must be a prophet ... "we need a change of heart" ...! But I think you are absolutely right as that appears to be the only answer. When that happens, people will start caring; caring for the environment, but it'll start by caring for one's fellowman (the person walking past us in the streets, etc). And when we start caring for others, we'll automatically care for the environment, the animals, nature, etc. Short but powerful thoughts. Thank you.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Kobie, I can see you are very well aware of the problem of deforestation. I hope one day you may become a minister in the government, because it looks like you may do something to address this problem! But I think we would come much closer to protecting our forests effectively if we can come up with a plan to reduce the production and use of disposable chopsticks (it can never be stopped, but one should try to discourage the use thereof), and a total ban on wooden flooring in houses and offices. I believe that is where most of our forests are disappearing into.

• Zhou Jia, you said, "communicate with foreigner in English in international website can help a lot". But you didn't say that in class yesterday ... You are now a member of an international website - did you know that?! Well, welcome to English Club.com! So, if you think that it can help improving your communication skills, please start using it! You can even ask your new bf to join you here and together you can improve your English ..!

• You are right that there is a big demand for timber in the housing industry nowadays. But the problem is not so much manufacturing of furniture; it is the preference for wooden floors by the rich and upcoming middle class that places the most stress on the forests. Education is needed seriously in that area. Funny that tile floors and carpets are more popular in western countries. Tile floors are easy to clean; and in the west they have vacuum cleaners to clean carpets. China is still far behind in the area of housing development it appears.

• Si Xu, China is not the 'population country in the world' - China is the most populous country in the world. But you are right in that there would probably always pressure on China about this massive population. It would only stop the day the earth stops functioning ..

Glad to read that there was at least one student who'd taken notes. I wonder why?

Again you are correct with your summation that as the economy grows, so the destruction of the trees would continue. Short sightedness you say ...? Right again! But political goals and money are equally to blame. It would help it governments would start with campaigns to educate the masses about protecting the environment. But experience has shown that they would still not care as they do not understand why it is important. They should start telling them that ignorance and neglect by this generation alive today would cause their children and children's children to have a much shorter time to live as we are using up the earth (and even destroy that which we aren't using). Shock-therapy.

• I am glad I never had to study English in China under Chinese speaking teachers! I believe it to be grossly unfair to students to give them language teachers that can't speak that language themselves. But sadly, of course, those language teachers also had to put up with Chinese-speaking teachers and that's probably why they couldn't learn to speak English themselves. Such a pitiful situation. They should have recruited foreign teachers long ago! But something which is of even greater concern is that it appears that the government has started to phase English out slowly ... From 2016 or 2017 there would be no more English exams in Gao kao. And I think that would just be the beginning ..

•       Look at the video last week left a deep impression on me, they all make use of the surrounding environment to learn English, really admire them. To be able to find a balance between learning and playing, this is the best way to learn.

Deforestation problem about tomorrow to discuss, we really can't do anything, can't stop it, we can do nothing but to a variety of some trees, plant trees every year in high school, before will be built for the name, is very interesting, is unforgettable memories. After college, did not take part in this activity, very sadly.

• Yes, the university authorities place not much emphasis on environmental issues. Just one look around our own campus confirms that as there are often a lot of litter lying around. But we can do something about the problem of deforestation ... we should all start using less disposable chopsticks for example. And we can tell restaurant owners why it is important (for their children and grandchildren) to be careful when handing chopsticks out. Every little bit would help.

• Yes, we know that we have to care for our forests and environment, but why do the governments not also show more commitment in doing that too? Probably because making money and political goals are more important and the needs and well-being of the citizens are secondary. Sad, but probably true ..

• What interests me most is that the teachers don't use book in class.They play games with the children and help them speak English.(if I have a good memory) In this way,children can speak English freely and have more interest in speaking English.I think it is a good way for little children to learn English.In fact,we also have a try like this.Now, in China,many English training organizations teach their students in this way.Teachers draw pictures and play games with children,and help them say more English.Students ,especially the little kids,find more pleasure during the process.

As for the deforestation,I think we should protect the forests.We can't cut down trees without any limit.We can use fewer wooden products.I think if we do this,the speed of forests reducing will be slow,because union gives strength.

This reply was deleted.