(1) News by Tara for Class 2 on Monday, 19 May. We won't have time for the news at the second class this week as we will be engaged in the role plays and time is of the essence. There won't be a new news item out on Monday (only from Tuesday); so, you can choose your own news item from the list which we haven't done this semester.

(2) Learning English in Brazil: We'll continue Acitivities 6 and 7 about questions and discussions regarding the video we watched during the last class. In particular am I interested about your answer to question 11 from Activity 6.

(3) Discussion: Deforestation

We'll read a passage about the topic, learn some vocab, and enter into discussion through answering questions in small groups. What is deforestation about? Why should we be concerned about it?

"To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots". - Richard Mabey

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

12 - W14a - Deforestation.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, that is the problem with us humans; people must first die before we act. When are we prepared to learn? So, when so-called natural disasters happen nowadays, it's not always nature's fault as we are too the cause of those disasters (such as floods and landslides, amongst others).

Thank you for your message, Camille. I am happy to hear that our classes are assisting you in improving your language skills. I will also be very happy if you do well on 31 May. :)

• This reply was deleted.
    • And that reason you mentioned why students learn English in China, is also the single-most reason why Chinese students struggle so much in learning the language. But I guess one can't blame the students as it is the system being enforced on the students that is to blame. However, with the right attitude towards life (not only towards studies), a student can overcome these restraints and can still excel in mastering the language.

I am glad you mentioned chopsticks and the effect those disposable chopsticks would have on the issue of deforestation. Apart from the building industry where timber is used on a massive scale in China to pacify the rich and upcoming middle class, those chopsticks also have a substantial effect on the destruction of the planet's forests (China uses hundreds of billions of chopsticks per year). Our generations have to do something about it - or my students' children and grandchildren would not have a planet anymore to live on ...

• I was surprised too when I watched this video for the first time a few years back and discovered one can in fact use video games to improve one's language skills. But, of course there is a snag (a catch, an obstacle) attached to that as we are in China ... and I understand from the boys that the English versions of those international games aren't allowed here. So, in China video games would surely not assist language learning (at least not English). But your observation is correct that it appears they learn language in their stride, not much effort and enjoying it. Much different from language learning in China where it remains a strenuous effort mostly.

I can see you understand the consequences of deforestation very well. However, though we as individuals may change our views on this phenomenon, it is my believe that the cure of the problem lies in the hands of the politicians (the governments of those countries that are guilty of depleting our forests). The political will to stop the indiscriminate plundering of our forests is lacking with most governments. They would choose to rather pacify their citizens (usually the rich and upcoming middle classes) to stay in control of their countries, or in some cases they would benefit directly (financially) through the destruction of those forests. The day will come that children will ask fathers and grandfathers when the earth can't support the humans any longer, "what did you do to preserve our planet for the future generations?"

• Interestingly, many students mention the way they are teaching the kids in Brazil as quite fascinating, but it wouldn't help university students any longer in their education! What about using social websites which that one girl, Amanda, said (like this website we are using right now) ..?! I am convinced that students who are active on a social website as this one, would improve their language skills substantially in comparison with others who don't.

Good point you made on deforestation. Sadly, most governments have that same knowledge, but they still allow their countries to destroy our planet's natural forests for financial gain. So, I'm wondering whether they really care about preserving the planet for future generations (their children and grandchildren - and yours, one day)?

• The news “Olympic dogs saved by millionaire” said a millionaire saved hundreds of stray dogs which are prior to the opening of XXII Winter Olympic. When they were being disposed, the millionaire saved them and found a nearby shelter to pick up them. Since then many of the dogs were adopted by people. In my view, dogs are lives, people should not dispose them, they have no right.
    Trees are heart of the earth, they take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen. If we want to live in the earth, we can not lack trees. But there are always some people cut down trees for money, it is inadvisable. So we should concern about deforestation, and find a way to solve it.

• Your news item sounds very interesting; I hope your name would be drawn tomorrow to share the news with the class! And I agree that people have no right to kill the dogs (let alone eating them). Dogs are man's (people's) best friend. Oh, and I see you have learned well about the importance of trees. Yes, deforestation is a serious concern.

• I can see you know very well why our earth needs the forests, but I think you missed it when you say that the tropical rain forests 'increase' global warming! It is just the opposite! The destruction of the forests increase or advance/expand global warming as there are less trees to absorb the CO2. But I agree, we need to seriously protect our forests!

• Mr Bao, Facebook is not the only social website that may help one's language skills to improve! As a matter of fact, I personally doubt if a social website like Facebook can really help a student improving language. Maybe it's helped that girl, but I think she was daydreaming about that! Even the Brazilian website, Orkut, would not be geared towards language learning. BUT, websites like this one that are specifically geared for English learners would be the ideal - if the students use it properly (not like Class 12-students!). This website has a social page too for members apart from pages for learners and teachers. I am glad that the other website (NEC) came to a halt, because it forced me to look for an alternative website and I am happy that I found this great site. But of course, few students would regard it as a great social website as sadly, they are not utilizing it as such. And besides, I noticed some pretty girls here too for handsome boys like those in Class 12 ... they must just be discovered! But remember, this is not a dating website ... though nothing can prevent one to become friends ..!

About the problem of deforestation ... I do not agree with mr Xiao ... Check my reply to him if you want to know why not (just be strong when you read it as it may come as a shock to you!).

• The biggest problem is the destroying of the world's natural forests (like the Amazon rain forest in Brazil), not necessarily the trees they remove for building sites (as they mostly plant many trees after finishing the buildings), as the natural forests are the main providers of the world's oxygen (and consumers of carbon dioxide). Who can save the world? What about those that put the world in danger through their greed and carelessness ...?!

Well, I won't say that's what interested me most of the video, but it's worth thinking about. To teach children like that male teacher, needs a special kind of teacher. You must have a special affection towards children, otherwise they would just frustrate you. I don't have that kind of patience (as you know), but I realize the importance of teaching children English from an early age. I admire those teachers. I won't even teach high school children. Their attitudes are just too much for me. The challenge to teach University students is great enough!

But, to answer your question, it doesn't mean I do not like kids. As a matter of fact, I am crazy about them - specially little Chinese girls from about when they start walking to around 5/6 years old. They are absolutely adoring! Check on this website and you would understand what I mean (for example, the first and fifth picture on the main page; but there are many more): http://halfthesky.org/en . I wouldn't mind to adopt a little Chinese girl (or actually many of them!), but of course it is not possible as I am single (and probably too old too!). I can understand that as the world is full of sick people and the authorities have to protect the children (specially the orphans). But I would always have that little dream of my own little girl though it would always just be a dream. ;-)

• I didn't know that 12 March is international tree planting day (called arbour day in western countries, if I remember correctly); thanks for telling (and I hope your date is correct!). I wish schools and universities would get involved in such activities which is meaningful and teaches us to care for nature for the sake of the future generations.

This reply was deleted.