Week 13: Wednesday, 13 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Video lesson: Thoughts from Brazil

P.S.

1. Classroom: 201 Erya (If mr Li didn't book a mediaroom for Class 1, they will attend the class with Class 2 at 3.55pm on Wednesday. Pse note it is the 4th class).

2. The 3rd picture is of Rio De Janeiro in Brazil where 7 games of the world's biggest sporting event would take place from 12 June to 13 July 2014. Which sporting event is that? And what is famous about that city? What are we going to learn about the video of Brazil?

3. Video to be screened here (and annexures): http://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/thoughts-from-brazil/nosubs.htm

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, it looks like you have watched the video, Cheng Xue, but I guess you couldn't follow much of it as there were no subtitles ... Xiao Hao has confirmed that and mentioned how difficult it was. Hopefully you will be able to learn more today as my video has the English subtitles.

• Reply to the reply you've replied to my reply.(Giggle,maybe it is more like a tongue twister.)

Oh!Forgive me.

I just saw your reply.

And I've told this method to our classmates involving Tony.

Maybe there is else classmates having same problem like Tony and me,who can know it?

So I shared the method in our class's QQ group of chat and taught classmates needing it.

Oh,website of BING is so amazing.

I very like it.

As long as you use it in English URL,you can search content interesting you in English and all the search result are provided in English.

It's pretty cool!!!!!!

I have added it in my favorite.

And I will use it frequently.

Oh,come on!

You must be kidding.

It doesn't matter whether I have a driving license or not.

I can drive in the game.(I know it is just a joke,and so am I. ^-^)

Reply tomorrow class:

Oh,Brazil!

Football came in my mind when I saw the Country name.

You know,Brazil have the top-ranking skill in football.

And China is the reverse.

Chinese football is a forever pain in all Chinese people.

I don't want to say that more.

I've seen the video and realized some answers of those questions.

And I don't want to say it in here in case someone else copy it rather than see it and look for the answers by oneself.

Who can't say I'm untactful,can you?

MOHAHAHA~~~~~~~~

See you.

My John.

• I am glad you discovered the Bing search engine (I think that is what it is called - not sure), Wang Lei. I also use it when I use IE (Internet Explorer). Yes, I think it is quite advanced, but because it speaks English, I think the students are afraid of it! There are still students who can't (or don't want to?) open the attachments despite you and Tony helping them. My guess is that they don't want to be helped ..?!

Yeah, let's rather not talk about Chinese football ... actually, there's nothing to talk about! Let's just hope the eyes would open of those that can change things in the country and that they would realize they would have to drastically change the education system to include sport from a very young age if they want China to become a world power in soccer. But, maybe that is not their priority ..

Okay, I have to believe you about watching the video. So, I will ask you the answers in class tomorrow to test your knowledge ..! :)

• Oh,I'm always honest.

Although I have seen the video before the class,

I wouldn't to rise up my hands in class because I was afraid I couldn't revive what the detail has been shown to us.

Because It's too hard to remember "when what be said by who".(Wow,maybe the sentence have grammatical mistake,but I hope you can understand it.)

I can't say what you have said is wrong.

Because Chinese education indeed consider sport as an unimportant thing.

The education only care about the students' grade.

We have no way to solve this condition but to accept it.

That is very big sorriness.

Oh,John.

I'm very pity there is no course tomorrow.

Maybe I only see you in next Wednesday.

But perhaps I will meet you somewhere somehow.

I hope that will happen.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yin Linlin, the reason you can't play football well is because you are a girl and football is a boy's game! Why do the girls want to play the boys' sport?! And about learning more of Brazil tomorrow ... you are going to be disappointed as the video is about learning English there and not about the country as such. You should have read up about the country yourself (as many other students). And you haven't mentioned anything from the attachment. Have you ever thought of asking a fellow-student to help you opening the attachment if you can't do it yourself?

• Yang Yujia, I am glad you are also looking forward to the WC soccer tournament. I hope your bf wouldn't steal your viewing time as I'm not sure whether he likes it too .. But btw, where did you learn that Rio became the capital of Brazil ..?! Thanks for watching about the lesson, but I don't understand that word you used twice, namely 'redio' (in the third paragraph in the first and third lines). What is the meaning of "redio"? If it should have been 'radio', I understand the word, but one listens to a radio and you said you "have seen" the redio (have watched). So, I am confused.

• Shan Tianqi, the news is about a BFL player from America that's admitted being gay. I also don't understand American football and I don't watch it (it is not soccer), but that can't prevent me from understanding what the news is about! Come on, it can't be so difficult! But, if you didn't understand the news, why did you not read the attachment and made some comments on the content ..?

• Zhi Huayu, you are the first one to mention about Brazil's famous coffee beans! Yes, Brazil is very famous for its coffee. I like Brazilian coffee (though it is quite strong). But btw, I notice that you haven't mentioned anything about the content of the attachment. Can you not open it?

• You are so right, Eva, about the students that would learn better if they would just change the traditional teaching method. Why don't the authorities not ask the students what work best for them? Why do people who have lost touch with the youth's preferences and abilities still insist to decide how they would be taught? I think it would be much better if students can be allowed to give incentives about the ways they are getting taught. But of course, that would never happen .. 

• Yi Xizhuoma, you know a lot about Brazil! Thank you for the information. You have even listed the ten countries bordering Brazil and you know what language they speak there. I am impressed; thank you. :)

This reply was deleted.