Week 13: Wednesday, 13 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Video lesson: Thoughts from Brazil

P.S.

1. Classroom: 201 Erya (If mr Li didn't book a mediaroom for Class 1, they will attend the class with Class 2 at 3.55pm on Wednesday. Pse note it is the 4th class).

2. The 3rd picture is of Rio De Janeiro in Brazil where 7 games of the world's biggest sporting event would take place from 12 June to 13 July 2014. Which sporting event is that? And what is famous about that city? What are we going to learn about the video of Brazil?

3. Video to be screened here (and annexures): http://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/thoughts-from-brazil/nosubs.htm

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, I'm glad to hear that you are a footballer yourself, Wu Meng. I hope you will train hard as China's national team is looking for guys who can play the game properly (currently they don't have many such guys in the national team!). But explain to me what did you mean with this sentence: "so i know this is the second in 1950 after the World Cup second held in Brazil". I don't understand at all, even if I try to read your mind. Did you translate that directly from Chinese? Pse explain to me.

Yes, Brazil is a dangerous country, I agree. But Brazil is not more dangerous than South Africa, and South Africa has staged a successful World Cup in 2010 with very few crime-related incidents during the month the championship was held. So, hopefully Brazil would also look well after the players and the fans ...!

• The news “NFL Drafts First Openly Gay Player” said Michael Sam has been the first NFL football player to openly announce that he is a homosexual. And his coach said it is a historic moment for the team. But Sam said he wants to be known as a football player rather than a trailblazer. About the homosexuality, it is not allowed in China, but it is legal in western countries. I can not accept homosexuality in the past, but as time goes by, I can understand them. They just like the same sex, it is normal. May be in the future, China can allow it.

About Brazil, I know it is famous by its football. It is the biggest country of the South America, the fifth country of the world. Its official language is Portuguese ,but most people can say Spanish and English. We can study English through the video class, and we can also know more about other countries’ culture. It is useful. 

• Well Wu Qiong, you are clearly not aware about the progress of the gay-agenda in China ... It may be illegal in China, but many things are illegal in China (like smoking in public places - there is actually a law against that) and it still gets allowed because the police is not applying the law (for some reasons we won't discuss). In Beijing there are many gay clubs operating openly today, but the government is not closing it down. So, although it may be illegal in China, it is allowed. With the imbalance China's population control policies have caused (especially because of the preference for a male child) to the effect that currently there are about 20 million more boys than girls in China, homosexualism may become even a greater problem in China soon. I also don't agree with this phenomenon and I believe it was wrong from the beginning and it will be wrong till the end, but it won't go away as the world became too rotten nowadays. Let's just hope the government can find a proper way to deal with it. Pres Putin from Russia had the backbone to stand up against it. Maybe others may follow his strong example (not that I like him; but I like his guts).

Btw, what do you mean with Brazil being the fifth country in the world? There are about 225 countries in the world today. It is the fifth country of what?

• Brazil is a football country .i like football too.And i think Brazil football team will win the champion .i am so curious about this country. i believe it is a beautiful place.when i was young in 2002,i watched The football World Cup.it is that i first know this country.and, Ronaldo and roberto carlos became my superstar. 

Brasilia is the capital of Brazil, it is a city full of magic, and through the city, i  understand the local conditions and customs of Brazil and I'm looking forward to this lesson, thank you , my teacher.

http://Cup.it/
    • So, if you watched the 2002 World Cup when you were only about 8 to 10 years old, I guess you would also watch some games this time, right? Haha, you think they would take this year's Cup?! How are they going to beat Spain and the Netherlands (and their neighbours, Argentina - with Messi)?!

• This reply was deleted.
    • I also heard that Brazil is one of the fastest developing countries in the world (as is China), and is part of the five BRICs countries (like Russia and India). However, I also read that Brazil's crime is also 'developing' fast and that may be a big concern during the World Cup tournament. Let's hope they would be able to keep the players and fans safe for one month ...

• Zhang Fang, your classmate likes sport and is going to watch some of the World Cup matches! So, are you not going to sit and watch with her?! I think you must try to watch a few games; these boys are magicians with the balls! Btw, did you not open the attachment? We'll do the questions in the attachment today in class. I hope you know the answers as I may ask you .. ;-)

• Fen Yu, what is the meaning of this word you used, "scorked"? Is that an English word? Why have I never seen that word? What does it mean? Why don't you check your spelling a little? This websites (like most English websites) has a spell checker and it underlines any incorrect spelling with a red line to allow you to correct the spelling before you save the comment. Or is it a matter that you don't care (like most students doing the same)?

• I'm glad to see you are also going to watch some World Cup games, Zhou Huanyu. After this tournament you would know much more about the game. Pity they mostly show the European soccer only in the middle of the nights (or late night) as that is probably the most exciting soccer in the world today (apart from the World Cup, of course!).

•       When it comes to Brazil, will think of sunshine, beach, bikini, the enthusiasm of the carnival, Brazil barbecue flavour, and hot samba, brought infinite charm in Brazil.This is a desirable place, wish I have the opportunity to  go to feel the passion of there. Have to say is that this year's World Cup held in Brazil, although I have no so love of football, but can feel the fans in to watch the exciting mood.And my side have many friends love football, they think of the summer watching the World Cup, drinking beer, together will be very happy. And see the video, feel their teachers will be well in teaching , is to cultivate the students' interest, let them love of learning, to teach knowledge, again by telling stories, playing games, really interesting.

This reply was deleted.