Week 13: Wednesday, 13 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Video lesson: Thoughts from Brazil

P.S.

1. Classroom: 201 Erya (If mr Li didn't book a mediaroom for Class 1, they will attend the class with Class 2 at 3.55pm on Wednesday. Pse note it is the 4th class).

2. The 3rd picture is of Rio De Janeiro in Brazil where 7 games of the world's biggest sporting event would take place from 12 June to 13 July 2014. Which sporting event is that? And what is famous about that city? What are we going to learn about the video of Brazil?

3. Video to be screened here (and annexures): http://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/thoughts-from-brazil/nosubs.htm

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mr Xiao, being gay isn't western culture! It has unfortunately penetrated western culture during the last few decades. But let me shock you ... there are many gays in China and it is growing fast. In Beijing they even have many gay clubs these days ... and the police is doing nothing about it. This gay agenda is going to cause the world much harm in future. I don't like pres Putin of Russia, but he has openly taken a stand against this distorted view on life and they want to stone him for that, but I admire his guts. The western world sadly doesn't have leaders with such strong convictions.

About the video, I have the copy with the subtitles (in English only) and I guess it may make it a little easier tomorrow. But thank you for watching. As far as the soccer teams are concerned, you are badly mistaken if you think the South African team is better than the Chinese national team. In 2010 they only played in the World Cup because RSA was the host nation; they didn't qualify before the time! Yes, they did play above their ability in that tournament and had even beaten France, but that was more than luck than anything else, if you ask me! About the Chinese team ... I'm sorry to say that I don't think that team would ever become a winning team as long as the Chinese authorities don't want to change their views about the education system and sport. Sport in western countries is included in the education systems and the students start sport alongside their studies at a very young age. That's why the world has so many great sport stars today. yes, China has some too, that is true; but they could have been many more with better systems. Maybe after my time it may change, but not soon ... ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yes Lusia, the football crazies are looking forward to this tournament as it only takes place every 4 years (like the Olympic Games). Though I don't regard myself as a soccer fan (as I don't watch so often), I also am looking forward to it as it is a great event and as during the 2010 tournament, I don't think I would like to miss one match! Luckily the Chinese are also crazy about the game and I'm sure they would show every game on TV.

Thank you for watching the video, Lusia (though it isn't compulsory). A few of you have done that, and I can just say thank you to you all who are doing more than the bare minimum. This is probably the less effective video of this series of seven videos as it is aiming more towards younger learners, but I chose it as 2014 is the year of the Brazil WC. Btw, your last paragraph is an absolute gem! Where did you get those wise words?! I wish everyone in Class 12 would read that ... :)

• Brazil in Latin America, is one of the most distant from overseas countries in Brazil there are about 250,000, mainly in Sao Paulo. Speaking of Brazil, people will naturally think of Brazilian football, carnival, samba and barbecue. Brazil is a singing and dancing, talking about Carnival, South Africa is a country singing and dancing, you do not know what the teacher is not the will to sing and dance, do not know if I have the chance to see your show, ha ha.

• No, the teacher is to old to sing and dance; but he still likes barbecue as it is a food of Africa. There are many similarities between Brazil and RSA of which the most notorious is that both countries are crime-ridden; but the most pleasant one is that both countries have great golden beaches. However, one thing they don't have in common, is that Brazil has one of the best teams in the world, where the RSA team is nearly as good as the Chinese team ... and you know what that means. Btw, Li Fengxian, what do you mean by the figure "250,000"? 250 000 of what?

• Haha just more points only. Is 250000. The original barbecue Africa, I now know. Also, I have also heard that South African football played badly, so a look at South Africa and Brazil really have a lot of similarity, and that the climate is also similar?

• I still do not know what you mean by the number 250 000?! Sao Paulo has 250 000? Two hundred and fifty thousand of what??? It can't be the number of people as Sao Paulo is the biggest city in Brazil. So, what is it? Well, I haven't been to Brazil yet, but my brother's daughter will be visiting there next month and I will ask her about the weather. I do understand however that there are similarities as far as the weather is concerned. I think that as both countries utilize their beaches so much, it can be proof of that. Sunbathing and surfing are big (popular) in both countries.

• Brazil is the biggest country in the South of America,and it is the host country of the World Cup of 2014.It is well known by all around the world as the reputation of the kingdom of football.So the biggest sporting event you mentioned is the World Cup.

Rio De Janeiro is located in the  southeast of Brazil.As of Christ the redeemer in Rio DE Janeiro is one of the NEW SEVEN WONDERS IN THE WORLD.It has four football teams who take part in the Brazilian football League ,they are Flamengo . Botafogo  ,Vasco da Gama,(Fluminese,I don't know exactly about them ,just finding the information from Internet.To tell the truth ,I am not interested in the World Cup.I can not enjoy it well.

2014.IT
    • Well Sabrina, it doesn't matter whether you like soccer or not, as long as you know what the lesson would be about. It is about Brazil in South America, but the lesson is not about soccer. So, do you know what we are going to learn tomorrow?!

• I agree Wen Xin, we shouldn't judge the gays as not one of us is better than the other. Humans are all equal before the Creator of humans. So, one should be careful not to criticize them. But nothing prevents us to criticize and judge their behavior which is disgusting and rotten, if you ask me. And for Obama to publicly approve of that is a national disgrace to America. I lost my last respect for Obama.

I'm surprised that you (as a girl) also like soccer (football) and you said your sister even played for the Foshan team! I guess you would then watch some games in this World Cup, right? I realize that the students can't watch too many games as you would probably be doing exams. Or would you be finished with exams by then (it starts 12 June to 13 July)?

Thirdly, thank you for watching the video, or at least parts of it, as I can see that you know what the lesson is about.

• Thank you mr Bao, as I can see that you have also watched the video (which wasn't compulsory, but it would be very helpful). I hope you would not be too bored when we watch the video again tomorrow (twice)! Yes, I agree, we all hope that the Brazilian crime wouldn't have a negative effect on the soccer. But, I think it shouldn't if they just follow South Africa's example from 2010. I don't think there is any country with the crime rate of South Africa, but during the 2010 World Cup there was about no crime in the country as even the criminals decided to take a holiday. It appeared that even the RSA criminals are patriots when it comes to soccer (also the most popular sport in RSA as with Brazil). But we'll have to wait and see. My brother's daughter would also be there; so, I hope it'll be safe.

About the news ... I agree with not discriminating, but you are hopelessly wrong by saying the gays are equal to heterosexuals. How did you come to that conclusion? Gays can't have their own children, just to give one difference. So, how is that normal? Whatever people think, I know someone (God, by the way) has created mankind (people) and He doesn't make mistakes. If a person is born male, he is born male to be male; and if she is born female, she is born female to be female. It wasn't a mistake at birth. It is because of people's rottenness that some turn gay, but born like that ... never in this life!

This reply was deleted.