Week 11: Wednesday, 30 April 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Music lesson: "If I were a boy" by Beyonce

The grammar focus of this lesson will be on Second Conditional sentences (If I were ... I would ...) and we'll discuss gender issues and what it would be like to be a boy. Unfortunately the MP3 music file is too big (only 7MB allowed here) and we can only listen to the song in class.

(3) Reduce, Recycle, Reuse:

Short discussion on a few more environmental issues. We have already discussed the banning of plastic bags. But would that be sufficient to protect our environment? What about reducing the use of some items, or recycling some used items, or reusing some used items?! This discussion includes a short rap song and it is included here.

12 - W11 - ReduceRecycleReuse.pdf

12 - W11 - Environment Rap - Audio - ReduceRecycleReuse.mp3

Listening Lesson - If I were a boy.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Li Zhiping, thank you for commenting and fulfilling your responsibility, but your first paragraph is really not good English. Have you written it in Chinese and then translated it directly through translation software? If so, then it is obvious that it wouldn't make sense as you can't translated English directly from Chinese. If you do this, you are not practicing your English and are just making a mockery of English. I also notice that you haven't read the attachments. Do you really want to pass oral English?

• Oh,John,I see your reply just now.

I'm very pleasure to receive your patient reply.

Please don't say that your Chinese is a hundred times worse than my English as my English is bad also.

I think we are the same in studying foreign language.

But I think we both can gripe it very well in future.

I absolutely believe it,and you?

As regards you say you shouldn't say Chinese in your class.

I think that's very wise.

Because if you could say it and you did it in your class.

That will lead to we rely on it.

So I'm very in favor of you don't say Chinese in class and hope you will continue that.

Oh,I agree on your viewpoint that The most important thing is that there is only a language be used so that human all over the world can preferably communicate.

About the tomorrow class,I want to say...Emmmmmmm.............

About this song,I think we aren't only listen it in tomorrow class.

We can search for it online.(At least I've done it.)

And I've listened it.And I've researched its lyric.

About this song,I want to say that it's very songful primarily.

For this lyric,I think she can do a part of those things if she want even though she is a girl.

For the other part,I think if she were a boy,she can do that and know how feel is that.

But as the price,she can never know what feel girl is.

That will be another pity to her.

The environmental issue is also my most concerned matter.

And I also listened it on the website provided by you.

And at first I ever attempt to listen it by my ears.

But I finally found I just recognized "ReduceRecycleReuse" be repeated many a time.

Maybe I also heard "Do you remeber......"

Oh,I have to confess my hearing is worse than my English.(Although my English is already very bad.)

In the end,I have to look over the lyric offered by you also.

And I can understand what he was singing.

And two songs have been downloaded in my phone.

I will be take out it and play music in tomorrow class.

By the way,I think I made a mistake that I incautiously clicked "Add Reply" button.

Then I made a blank comment in here.

I hope you won't take it in you mind.

Dear Jhon,I miss you and hope to see you.

• Yes, looks like we have the same ideas about language, Wang Lei! About the song for tomorrow, Li Ziupeng said you will bring the song to class, right?! Please also download the RAP song from here and bring that also to class. Can you do that? Thank you in advance!

Haha, I have just read further and noticed that you have already done that (to download both songs)! Smart boy! Thanks.

Oh, I was wondering about your blank comment above! It was just an accident; yes, accidents happen to anyone! :)

Okay WL, see in class tomorrow. I think it would be interesting to hear what everyone has to say about being a boy (or girl)! I look forward to my English classes (crazy teacher)!

• This reply was deleted.
    • Sun Xiaoxia, I believe that 'love lock ritual' in Paris (to be known as the world's most romantic city where lovers from all over the world gather for honeymoon and other romantic experiences) is quite romantic! Why does China not have such romantic things couples in love can enjoy?! Maybe they should start something similar in China! Annabel (Wang Yepu) suggested planting 'love' trees! Maybe a good idea as it is quite environmentally friendly!

• Li Zhenling, if you were a boy, you would have realized how enjoyable it is to have a gf and not a bf ..! Now you have to wait for the boy to notice you, but if you were one, you could have chased after a girl!

Btw, you also haven't read the attachments ... Pse read my second paragraph of my reply to Cheng Xue (just above your comment) - it applies to you too.

• I have listened the news just now.And I'm very surprised that we wll listen this song in class,because it is so populer and I even don't know if there any grammar we can learn from.So I'm surprised and I will cocentrate on this class,at the same time,carefully learn the gammar from this song and try to understand the feeling of this song!

Steve Oney
    • Cheng Xue, the grammar we learned was to use Second Conditional sentences correctly ... "If I were ...", "I would have ...". Students seldom use it correctly and tend to think that because the pronoun is in the singular, they should use a singular verb. One can still understand what they mean, but the English is not correct. So, only a simple aspect of grammar, but every little bit helps in the end.

Btw, I also notice with you that you haven't read the attachment. If you then can't open it, why have you not followed the advice by Meng Guimiao which he gave to all students of Class 12 about the right software to use to open the attachments? No excuse!

• Amy, I guarantee you after a while after becoming a boy, you would regret it and you would like to be a girl again! Girls are so much more magnificent than boys, and besides, they don't have all those disgusting habits men have (like spitting, smoking, drinking, and many others)! So, be glad you are a girl! ;-)

Oh, and I see you know how to protect the environment! I'm just often wondering when I get into classrooms where the students have left their waste and litter all over the floors, whether they think it's only because it's a classroom; so they may litter? What will they do when they get outside, like walking on the streets to the restaurants, or walking to the beach or to Shoushan ... I bet they would show the same disrespect for that environment as they never showed respect for other property (like their classrooms and dormitories). Would you agree with me? ;-)

• But Shan Tianqi, though you've listened to the news and to the song, you haven't read the attachment! If you can't open it, why have you not followed the advice from Meng Guimiao that he gave to all the Class 12 students about the right software to use to open the attachments ..? No excuse!

• Zhi Huayu, I think it is noble to be a girl and to grow up as one. I never want to be a girl myself only because of what I've seen men do to girls. But to grow up as a boy these days is a challenge as boys get such bad examples from the men that influence their lives (especially leaders and teachers, but even family). Girls are never guaranteed that the men they'll get involved with one day would treat them with the respect they deserve. So, I believe it is still better (more noble) to be a girl despite the bad deal they mostly get from the men of this world. But I understand what you say about a boy being better equipped to protect, and in today's society, being in a more advantageous position to provide as they would get jobs easier.

This reply was deleted.