Week 11: Wednesday, 30 April 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Music lesson: "If I were a boy" by Beyonce

The grammar focus of this lesson will be on Second Conditional sentences (If I were ... I would ...) and we'll discuss gender issues and what it would be like to be a boy. Unfortunately the MP3 music file is too big (only 7MB allowed here) and we can only listen to the song in class.

(3) Reduce, Recycle, Reuse:

Short discussion on a few more environmental issues. We have already discussed the banning of plastic bags. But would that be sufficient to protect our environment? What about reducing the use of some items, or recycling some used items, or reusing some used items?! This discussion includes a short rap song and it is included here.

12 - W11 - ReduceRecycleReuse.pdf

12 - W11 - Environment Rap - Audio - ReduceRecycleReuse.mp3

Listening Lesson - If I were a boy.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Haha, I agree; build a new bridge! My prediction is that China will build that bridge - question is just in which city!

• Oh,A good music lesson,I like it.I will remember to take the speaker and music document tomorrow.I have watched the MV of the music If I were a boy.When I watched it for the first time,I thought it was the woman who betray her husband when she worked.But then,I understand it,the fact is that the woman's husband betrayed her.She imagined the situation If she was a boy,what she did just what her husband did.It really a nice music and MV.And for the question If I would like to be a woman,I think I will say no,Because if I were a man,I will choose to be a good man,a good husband,a good father,I believe I can do that.But if I were a woman,I am not sure if my husband is a good man.And I have listened to the environment rap,sounds good!See you tomorrow,teacher!

• Thanks for the interesting comment, Xiao Hao! But what is a 'music document'? You only had to take the speakers and your phone to the classroom! I guess you meant the recordings of the two songs?

About the MV, you're right, of course; she was just portraying what her bf or husband had done to her. Being a girl ... I also agree with you, but that is a very interesting motivation from you as why not want to be a girl! So, you are aware of the husbands' general behaviour and unfaithfulness ... But I am glad to read about your intention of becoming a good husband and father one day! Remember, it's not only about providing (many men think when they can provide financially for their families, their responsibility is over and then they can do what they want). Being a father and husband is also about setting the example, showing good character and importantly, respect for others. ;-)

• Wang Lei, where is your comment?! Or did you write in invisible ink today?!

• I listened to the news by Tara .It is about love lock ritual may end in Paris.It is known by me that it seems to the South Mountain in Korea.I ever listened to the song ,if i were a boy.Beyonce sang many famous songs,and I like to listen to them.And in this song ,there are many sentences used if i were...i would..3rs,it is very important for us to protect our environment,if we can reduce the harmful substance using,and recycle to use the things,such as plastic bags or other things ,and reuse it .We can save many resource and then,protect our environment.thank you ,teacher

paris.it
    This domain may be for sale!
    • Yes, you are right, Sabrina, about what we practiced in this lesson ... Second Conditional sentences - "if I were ..." "I would have ...". Sorry that you missed the lesson; I think it was quite an interesting discussion.

• I like this song, very nice. This song by beyonce, I learned a lot. As a man, I have a lot of responsibility to do a lot of things. I'd better to perfect myself. Second, protect the environment, everyone duty. Good environment is very important, we should try our best to protect the environment. Looking forward to tomorrow's class.

• Zhang Cong, have you read through the attachments before your comment to familiarize yourself with the lesson content? I am not convinced.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I'm not sure whether the keys in the water would really do so much harm, Eva; but I agree that the padlocks would weigh the bridge down and one day it would just collapse under the weight. So, I guess they should do something drastic to address the problem before it is too late.

Yes, the singer has actually acted the role of the bf to show what he was actually doing to her. She in real live has turned down the approaches by the other men, but he hasn't refused those flirting women. She was showing a phenomenon among many men today ... unfortunately, men would be men and would not change. But that is no excuse; it is still disgusting that many men are like that. Women deserve better than the secondhand treatment many of them receive from the men (specially after marriage). If I were female, I really think I would have hated men ..!

This reply was deleted.