(1) Listen to the News by Tara

We'll start the Wednesday classes with the news by Tara.

(2) Mini debate: English Globalization

We'll follow the same format as with our mini debate series: Reading the passage, vocabulary, discussing relevant questions, and finally mini debates in groups of 4.

12 - W10b - Mini-debate English Globalization.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am glad to read that you are motivated to study English now, Li Xiupeng, even if it is only to pass your CET exam! It is a start!

But you are again puzzling me ... China has more than 650 million people who are atheist and don't believe in God. So, if you say, "pray for the victims", who do they pray to ..?! I am confused every time I see a statement of that nature.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Bai Ma, I am happy to read these words from you ... "As college students, we should work harder to learn English"! Please let me see that you mean what you said ..! ;-)

• Xuanyu, you sound like Rock now with this statement ... "... English as a communication tool under the leading international institutional arrangements of the United States in order to maintain its own survival and development interests". I have the opinion this is what you have been taught either at school, or here at university. To me this is clearly Chinese propaganda! I don't believe for one moment that it is true. Many countries (over 60 of them) have English as native language and though English is only the third-most-common language in the world (after Chinese and Spanish), it is the most spoken language in the world (by nearly 3 billion people) and it was just obvious that it should be chosen as the world's global language (the lingua franca of the world). English includes more than 250 000 distinct words. Maybe you should not take everything you are told as truth. Test it against other opinions from other countries too before accepting as truth. One opinion from only one country can be dangerous at times. ;-)

• Li Kaiyu, I wish we had chosen you today to tell us about the news as you have mentioned so much additional information about the sunken ferry that it would have been a pleasure to have listened to you today in stead of those very short versions form the three students ..! Thank you.

• Thank you for another good contribution, Lusia. This semester I get many good contributions from my Class 12 students and I can already see that it's going to be difficult this time to award the best contributor! I am glad to read that you agree on some of my views about English as global language. In a sense however, I can understand why some Chinese people would wonder about Chinese as global language as 1.4 billion people speak Chinese. But as I tried to explain (I don't know whether my point was clear enough), the world needed a global language and as many countries have English as their native tongue, that was the obvious choice. China was isolated from the outside world for so long that I believe the Chinese language was not even a consideration. It of course may change in future as more people start learning Chinese now. But that'll take quite a number of years still. Interestingly, even in my small country many students asked themselves (and the teachers!) as to why all students had to learn English. Today we don't question that any longer! 

• Sun Xiaoxia, why do you mention praying for the missing people? I understand that more than 650 million Chines people are atheist, meaning they don't believe in God. So, what do so many Chinese people mention prayer when there are disasters? Who do they pray to if they don't even believe in the existence of God? I am confused about this.

I agree that some accents are very difficult to follow. I also have trouble understanding the Indian accent (the worst English accent in the world I believe!), and even some of the Scottish and Welsh accents can be difficult to follow. Even the strongly native American speakers are at times difficult to understand. I have an American friend in Dandong (he teaches there) and I can't always understand him! But, I must admit, I am very happy to read that you understand my accent! It has a strong British influence, but with a distinct South African undertone. ;-)

• Another good comment on this topic; thank you, Zhang Qian. I can see you have good insight about the topic. I agree with you that "if you want know comprehensive and accurate information" you should know English, because we all know that the government is controlling the information in Chinese to the Chinese people. So, Chinese-speaking people are not well-informed about events inside and outside the country, except those who can master English as they can access English websites, read English newspapers, listen to English radio and TV, talk with foreigners, etc. That's why one can say that English is unlocking the world to the Chinese students. But strangely enough, not many Chinese students care about knowing more than they are told. It is as if they don't want to think for themselves! Fortunately, there are some students who have a wider understanding and they use the language to broaden their horizons. :)

• Well Ke Song, if this was your own work, then I think you are improving! Then I have to say it was a good comment ...

I don't believe that by speaking another country's language should influence one's culture (except of course if one wants it to have an influence). I agree that some movie stars would have an influence worldwide if they are good; it is unavoidable. Jackie Chan is popular all over the western world too! About accepting some of the festivities of those countries, is definitely not because of the influence of the culture of the language. It is only about money. The fact that they 'celebrate' Christmas and Valentine's day here is not about China now liking those festivities! It's the Chinese businesses (and foreign businesses in too, of course) that realized the opportunity to make money from the Chinese market during those festivals. They have no special affection toward those festivals; it's all about making money!

• Yes, Li Zhiping, people should realize the importance of English in the world today. It is not about promoting the culture of any specific country (many countries have English as native language, but they have different cultures); it is purely about having a global language so that we can all communicate with one another. The world started as a family thousands of years ago until our one language ceased to exist and many different languages were given in its place, but the world can become 'one' again if we can just communicate with one another. Currently it is English and we should accept that and make the best of it (meaning to learn and master the language to our benefit and to our country's benefit). So, don't stop learning this language!

• Hi,teacher.I have listened to the news,it's really a sad news,I heard it from the Internet a few days ago,I was so sorry about what they suffered.And I was so moved by a student who was caught in the ferry and may have dead now.When he was alive,he sent a message to his mom,he said,mom,I want to tell you I love you so much,and this may be the last time I said it to you,I'm sorry,mom.I was nearly cried when I heard this.Wish there will be more people who can survive.And for the mini debate:English Globalization,I think we will have a lot of things to discuss.English is the international language,but recently,the government of China pay more attention to the traditional Chinese culture rather than the English,they may think China is getting more and more powerful,so they must push the Chinese culture to the world,I understand what they think,but maybe it's a little early to remove the English from college entrance examination.The importance of English isn't reduce in fact.So,see you tomorrow,teacher.

This reply was deleted.