Note: The Missing Ring mystery solved ...

At the beginning we mentioned that there can be an 'ulterior motive'. Well, there was in this story! Emma was not a thief as she hadn't planned to take the ring! Cynthia Hummingbird, her grandmother, asked her to do it! And it was all about detective Bossley, but he didn't know it at first (the ulterior motive).

Cynthia was crazy about detective Bossley's reality TV program which had ended. So, she thought of a plan to get him to do another reality TV detective program. That's why she had video-taped the investigation and interviews! She wanted to get it on TV again. She'd asked Emma to help her and Emma hid the ring till after the investigation. They hoped that detective Bossley would eventually find out who 'stole' the ring and then they would reveal the truth. In the real story he (detective Bossley) suspected Emma had taken the ring, but he didn't realize that Cynthia was the brain behind the whole story!

Emma was supposed to reveal the story to the teams and detective Bossley, but unfortunately Zhang Qian didn't understand what I said, and Li Mengdi didn't get my letter where I explained what was going on! So, it all ended up in an anti-climax, I guess. However, I hope you still got sufficient oral practice as that was the purpose of the exercise. :)

(1) Banning plastic bags: We'll finish the last few questions about the issue of banning plastic bags.

(2) Job hunting:

We'll do a dialogue about a phone conversation between a boss and a 'job hunter' and a short dialogues to practice intonation. Students will then practice the telephonic conversation in pairs and do a few role plays for the class.

(3) Role plays:

We'll do some role plays in pairs about various school scenarios, like a. The new kid, b. Out for lunch, c. School project, and d. School rules - see attachment.

12 - W10a - Job hunting.pdf

ESL Library - Role plays - School issues.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes,and more practice can strength my understand of the meaning of sentences.And I wish there can be more chances to let you see the good changes in my oral,and I also think vocabularies are also very important.Words also the aspect I really need to be improved.Thanks for your hard work,And I think the content of our class became better step by step.

• Well, don't think that I miss noticing my students progress... Today, when you and Di Xin were doing your dialogue, I have surely taken note of your performance. I specifically remember that! Your pronunciation and intonation are really good and I can hear your progress. I can rather thank YOU for YOUR hard work. I see that. :)

• Thanks for your recognition,how warm it is.Three are lot of shortages of my English,and I willing to make progress.And I only wanna communicate with you about the details of my English Study.And I believe you will care everyone,thank you.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I hope you learned something today, Yi Xizhuoma. And remember that you and your friends have the responsibility to prepare for your oral English classes. It would only be fair to those students who help you so faithfully.

• Well Shirley, working and life experience can only happen when one is working. So, every student lacks that experience, not only Chinese students. What I understand they mean, is that the Chinese education system only concentrates on studies, but it doesn't provide a balanced education where students also get educated about life skills and independent thinking. But working experience one only gets by ... working!

• sir, about the job you think I can play anything, or what I will. In fact, I quite like role play, really sorry ah, what can I do. I am looking for an interesting job dialogue.

When a job interview, the interviewer asked me: "Can you talk about what strengths?"
    I said: "I am a thinking positive, optimistic person."
    Interviewer: "? Oh, can give an example?"
    I said: "! Of course, when can I start work?"

• Yes, Li Fengxian, I think you can play any role if you want to! And you can also speak English if you want to - I saw that. Just believe in yourself! ;-)

• Wei Zhipeng, after I have finished my reply here, I will delete your comment and you will get ZERO toward your final semester mark. This method of using this website is an extension of my classes. And you know that one of my class rules is that students would NOT use profanity or swearing in my classrooms (or, obviously on this website). Why don't you listen???? I hate it when the Chinese students lower themselves to the same gutter-level as the Americans from Hollywood where they don't care how they live, or what they say in the movies. WHY do Chinese students always have to copy that lowly American behaviour? Why???

• Sorry Feng Yu, I think they all discovered that you were a bad liar and that's what they suspected you to be the thief! But luckily for you, Emma has admitted guilt as she was only helping her grandmother. :)

• Oh,ha-ha....

That accounts for it.

And in a way,our team won the game.

Because we guessed the thief is Emma.

Although we can't explain why Emma is the thief.

We did affirm her as the criminal.

So,will you give my team extra reward?

Oh,ha-ha,that is just a joke.

Please don't take it to heart.

The plastic bags indeed are a serious problem.

And I will make certain it with our class.

As to the role play.

May I never told you that is my favorite thing.

That will occur so many funny things,won't it?

Out for lunch is a good topic.

May I can teach you how say it in Chinese.

In Chinese:中午吃什么?(What to eat at noon?)Zhong wu chi shen me?

In Northeast localism:中午吃点啥呢?(What to eat at noon?)Zhong wu chi dian sha ne?

Ha-ha,I wish you don't care I say Chinese in here.

See you tomorrow,dear John.

This reply was deleted.