Note: The Missing Ring mystery solved ...

At the beginning we mentioned that there can be an 'ulterior motive'. Well, there was in this story! Emma was not a thief as she hadn't planned to take the ring! Cynthia Hummingbird, her grandmother, asked her to do it! And it was all about detective Bossley, but he didn't know it at first (the ulterior motive).

Cynthia was crazy about detective Bossley's reality TV program which had ended. So, she thought of a plan to get him to do another reality TV detective program. That's why she had video-taped the investigation and interviews! She wanted to get it on TV again. She'd asked Emma to help her and Emma hid the ring till after the investigation. They hoped that detective Bossley would eventually find out who 'stole' the ring and then they would reveal the truth. In the real story he (detective Bossley) suspected Emma had taken the ring, but he didn't realize that Cynthia was the brain behind the whole story!

Emma was supposed to reveal the story to the teams and detective Bossley, but unfortunately Zhang Qian didn't understand what I said, and Li Mengdi didn't get my letter where I explained what was going on! So, it all ended up in an anti-climax, I guess. However, I hope you still got sufficient oral practice as that was the purpose of the exercise. :)

(1) Banning plastic bags: We'll finish the last few questions about the issue of banning plastic bags.

(2) Job hunting:

We'll do a dialogue about a phone conversation between a boss and a 'job hunter' and a short dialogues to practice intonation. Students will then practice the telephonic conversation in pairs and do a few role plays for the class.

(3) Role plays:

We'll do some role plays in pairs about various school scenarios, like a. The new kid, b. Out for lunch, c. School project, and d. School rules - see attachment.

12 - W10a - Job hunting.pdf

ESL Library - Role plays - School issues.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• wow...Emma's ulterior motive suprised me.I can't image it is Cynthia that asked Emma to do that.The role play is so interesting.

As for job hunting,we will face it few years later.For me, I have experienced it.At first,I made a telephone call.And someone told me that I would have a interview on a Wendesday afternoon.I thought maybe I would be nervous that day,but I was not.The interviewer asked me some questions and had a test on me.And then we reached an agreement.It's a meaningful experience which I think can be helpful in my job hunting in the future.

The next part is the role play.Hope that it can be as interesting as the class of last week.

http://it.At/
    • Well Nicole, it is interesting to read that you have already had such an experience of making a call when hunting for a job. Was it for a part-time job here at the university? At least you could have assisted Xue Xie today with the phone dialogue! :)

• Yeah.I found a part-time job about a month ago.I signed an agreement with the company I work for for three months.If I don't obey the agreement,I will pay an indemnity of 200 yuan.This is the first time I do a part-time job. I like it. In fact, I wanted to find a summer job after graduating from high school.Because I want to be independent and I don't want to rely on my parents all the time.I wanna do something by myself.But that summer,my parents didn't agree with me due to security.I think it is a pity.Now, I am old enough and I can do it.I feel so happy.

• Thank you for replying, Nicole; not many students worry to reply when I ask questions! I am happy for you about your job! Students who have the discipline to take up a part-time job while studying, normally mature faster than others, and they have proven that they have more persistence, which is a good quality. If you ever (or any of your classmates) need any assistance or advice from an old teacher, please never hesitate to approach your oral English teacher ... I know he will always be willing to assist wherever and however he can (but unfortunately you have to discuss it in English)! ;-)

• I got it.And I agree with you on what you said about part-time jobs.Thank you for your kindness.If I want some advice,I will ask you for help.Although it will be difficult to discuss it in English,I'd like to have a try. o(* ̄▽ ̄*)ゞ

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yes I agree, Li Zhenling, the outcome of the missing ring was quite fascinating. Nobody would have expected that ms Hummingbird, the owner of the ring, would have something to do with the disappearance of the ring. I'm glad to read that you learned some words in the exercise. And it is further good to hear from yourself that you feel you are making progress. I think a few of you have improved much from the first semester of oral classes. ;-)

• Oh, Yin laoshi, you are also teaching these days?! I hope you don't teach them English too as then they would become too smart for their classmates ..! So, you have a part time job now? Then you must have enjoyed the role play with mr Xie as it was relevant to your job seeking process, not so?!

• I hope you'll get something positive from this job hunting exercise, Xie Zhengfeng. How much you however can use of that in the future job hunting process waiting on you, one's not sure about as this job hunting business in China is so skew and anti-productive and surely not in the best interest of students. Students are being delivered to the mercy of immoral, unscrupulous and partisan bosses who mostly offer the students a one-sided and unfair deal, but they have to take what they can get as everyone must get a job after university. Chinese students deserve much better than what they get.

• Eva, what is the meaning of the 'soup' and the 'medicine'?! I don't understand. Maybe you can explain that to me?!

• I feel it's the final result of unpredictable, it seems everyone is no detective when the potential of that. But in the process of asking is very interesting. Tomorrow we will also have a role play,boss and job seekers corresponds to find a job after we met, it is a great experience, and i'll think about this for a moment.This is a valuable chance, we will not do this exercise at ordinary times, tomorrow want to grasp this opportunity.

This reply was deleted.