Note: The Missing Ring mystery solved ...

At the beginning we mentioned that there can be an 'ulterior motive'. Well, there was in this story! Emma was not a thief as she hadn't planned to take the ring! Cynthia Hummingbird, her grandmother, asked her to do it! And it was all about detective Bossley, but he didn't know it at first (the ulterior motive).

Cynthia was crazy about detective Bossley's reality TV program which had ended. So, she thought of a plan to get him to do another reality TV detective program. That's why she had video-taped the investigation and interviews! She wanted to get it on TV again. She'd asked Emma to help her and Emma hid the ring till after the investigation. They hoped that detective Bossley would eventually find out who 'stole' the ring and then they would reveal the truth. In the real story he (detective Bossley) suspected Emma had taken the ring, but he didn't realize that Cynthia was the brain behind the whole story!

Emma was supposed to reveal the story to the teams and detective Bossley, but unfortunately Zhang Qian didn't understand what I said, and Li Mengdi didn't get my letter where I explained what was going on! So, it all ended up in an anti-climax, I guess. However, I hope you still got sufficient oral practice as that was the purpose of the exercise. :)

(1) Banning plastic bags: We'll finish the last few questions about the issue of banning plastic bags.

(2) Job hunting:

We'll do a dialogue about a phone conversation between a boss and a 'job hunter' and a short dialogues to practice intonation. Students will then practice the telephonic conversation in pairs and do a few role plays for the class.

(3) Role plays:

We'll do some role plays in pairs about various school scenarios, like a. The new kid, b. Out for lunch, c. School project, and d. School rules - see attachment.

12 - W10a - Job hunting.pdf

ESL Library - Role plays - School issues.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Bai Ma, your comment should be BEFORE the class and not after, if you want to get any additional mark toward your final semester grade. You should know by now.

• Your use of grammar and sentence structure here is not the best I've seen, Huang Guodong, but I think it is still a good comment. So, thank you for the effort. I hope you benefited by today's different role plays and dialogues. However, as I told Zhang Cong too, you two guys have to work harder on your spoken English if it is really important to you. Nevertheless, thank you for trying.

• oh,it is amazing .no one is a bad person in the whole family, this is I never thought. Ha ha, teacher, you lie to us. Tomorrow's class is very interesting, I like it very much by role  play , I will prepare well. There is the problem of you mentioned that the spoken language, I also feel my spoken English is not very good, so in the coming days, I must strengthen my oral practice.

• Yes Zhang Cong, you and Huang Guodong should both work much harder on your oral English if it is important to you to make progress ... Btw, why do you say I lied to you?! I had to tell the class what the story was and in the story a ring was stolen and Cynthia called on a detective to investigate. If somebody lied, than it was ms Hummingbird herself!

• Well, I observed that you and mr Wang appeared to have enjoyed yourselves today, Shao Shuang. I think the one effort you have presented to the class wasn't bad at all. Thank you for trying.

• I don't mind, Wang Fei; but I guess you do understand that late comments would not be considered for additional marks toward the final semester score. However, it is still better to do it than to completely ignore it when one is late as every time you write here you are improving yourself step by step. So, thank you nevertheless. ;)

• I am surprised to read that you enjoy the classes, Han Zeyue, because you and a few other students have an additional burden of assisting weaker students sitting next to you. It is a little unfair toward you all as it may imply that you don't get sufficient time yourselves to practice your own spoken English. I am a little concerned about that, but at this stage it looks like we can't change it. However, no one is obliged to assist other students in the way you girls are doing it. I think they should be very grateful to you.

• Your intonation is very good, Annabel; I am impressed. You can however work more on the pronunciation (it's not bad, but needs much refining)!. ;-)

• I think we as a suspect also wonder the answer,oh,the grandmother is a little crazy.But just as you said,in this activity,I practiced my oral.I like that dialogue,there are some sentences are useful when we talk in the telephone,I like practice oral.And there is also well have intonation practice,because I find many Chinese English learners haven't intonation approximately,when we talk with foreigners,I'm not sure they can understand the emotion included in the sentence that without intonation.As for the role play,I think it may can practice our writing and grammar besides the oral.The assignments of tomorrow is full,we must take good use of time of the class,See you,teacher!

• Yes Ren Zhihong, our lessons are aimed to practice our spoken English as much as possible. It may be difficult to some students, but I believe this to be the only way to improve one's oral skills. There is no time to do the other language skills and it is also the responsibility of the students to learn the new vocab which would enhance their speaking ability. An interesting observation from you about emotion and intonation; I believe you are correct in your summation that intonation assists in expressing emotions. :)

This reply was deleted.