Answers to vocab paper - and results

Please find attached the answers to this week's vocab paper. The correct answers are in bold.

Here are the results:

1. Firstly, congratulations to Annabel with the top score of 105% (21) though I could only give her 100% as that is the maximum! Well done, I am proud of you!

2. Congratulations to Sabrina and Lusia with both 102.5% (20.5)! Of course you also have 100%, but Annabel did slightly better, and I believe you would understand and accept my decision. I am proud of you too though!

3. Then congratulations to the following students with 90% or above! You make a teacher so proud!

Wang Lei - 95%
Ren Zhihong - 95%
Li Kaiyu - 95%
Liu Yi - 95%
Zhi Huayu - 95%
Bao Zhengchao - 92.5%
Wen Xin - 92.5%
Shi Ning - 90%
Candy - 90%
Li Ningning - 90%
Su Xu - 90%
Wu Qiong - 90%

And the rest of you:

87.5% - Kou Yejia, Xiao Hao
85% - Yang Lingling, Tony, Xie Zhengfeng, Nicole
82.5% - Amy, Zhang Qinbao, Eva
80% - Wendy, Wei Zhipeng, Zhang Fang, Shan Tianqi, Rock
77.5% - Feng Yu,Huang Guodong,Liu Yan,Chen Xuanyu,He Yang,Wang Fei,Zhou Huanyu
75% - Di Xin, Fan Yixin, Yang Yujia, Zhang Qian, Zhou Jia
72.5% - Shirley, Zhang Cong, Sun Xiaoxia
70% - Yi Xizhuoma, Li Zhenling, Wu Meng
67.5% - Camille
65% - Li Fengxian, Shao Shuang, Cheng Xue, Xie Xue
62.5% - Yin Linlin
60% - Han Zeyue, Ke Song, Li Mengdi
57.5% - Yang Jiandan
55% - He Yunping
52.5% - Bai Ma, Li Zhiping
50% - Li Xiupeng, Xiang Balazhen

Congratulations to those of you who have done well too. And special mentioning of the efforts from Xie Zhengfeng, Li Fengxian and Yi Xizhuoma; thank you for trying hard.

Class 12 - Vocab paper May 2014 - ANSWERS.odt

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, I guess you could have done better ... But I believe it is not the fault of the students that they don't always do well in English. I believe it is the system that do not encourage them to do well as the system discriminates against English and clearly shows the students it is not important. They teach English here because of the government's insistence and not because they understand the importance of the language for students in this global world. And that is then the message the students get, and not many students care. That's why one can't blame the students. ;-)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Well, you did slightly better than last semester, but I agree you could have done better had it not been for some unnecessary errors. I was however merciful and I'm always giving easier marks in the vocab paper as I know many students need every extra mark they can get! So, you probably did better than you thought! I'll publish the results here a little later tonight.

Good observations from you about teaching English, as a good command of grammar and vocab would surely be of great assistance when speaking and writing/reading. However, I seldom care about grammar as I learned that students can get familiar with the grammatical use of the language through reading. So, I actually believe that teachers shouldn't have to teach much grammar, but rather encourage their students to read much (online, magazines, newspapers, easy books, etc) as that is a good (and effective, in my opinion) way to learn grammar!

I appreciate your view about the vocab paper. To be honest, I haven't been doing a vocab paper in the first few years; I have introduced it only in 2012 in particular in an endeavour to get better results from the students. In my first two years with Liao Gongda (2010 in Fuxin, and from 2011, here), I didn't even take oral exams from my classes as I reasoned that the Chinese students had it difficult enough at school that I shouldn't put the same pressure on them as the Chinese teachers when they get to university. But, I discovered that I was wrong as they didn't care much about making progress in English as they knew there was no pressure of exams. So, I thought about it and decided that I have to let them do an oral exam (you did the role play this semester as your oral) and I also came up with this plan to introduce a vocab paper to try to 'force' them to study the new words they learn in class as I know that one can't speak a language properly without knowing sufficient vocabulary of the target language. Now some students, like you, realize how this benefitted you ...! I am happy to read what you said!

About your performance, haha, you didn't have a good first half of the semester ..., but then it suddenly changed ..! But, I can see you don't know me well enough to realize that I won't tell you in an open forum! This is a personal matter in my opinion and I will discuss it with you rather in a PM (personal message on your profile here). I don't think it would be ethically correct to tell you what I think while it is open for others to read. Maybe you don't mind, and it is not that I don't trust your classmates, but I still don't think it is right. One can give sincere compliments now and then when necessary, but this is different! So, I'll tell you later elsewhere (I'll make a note as I want to do something else later!). Till later. ;-)

• Oh,I'm glad to become NO.1 in this discussion.

I have checked answer provided by you.

And that look like I have given a lot of correct answers with it.

I'm happy with that.

It's said we will have a climb mountain in next week.

I hope I can have more chance to talk you in that occasion.

• Yes, you are becoming a diligent visitor to this website lately, I notice! And I agree, you had MANY right answers in the vocab paper ... congratulations! If it hadn't been for two girls in your class, you would have had the top score, did you know that?! I'll publish the results later tonight in this same post.

I'll wait to hear from Li Xiupeng about the class decision for Wednesday. I like Shi Ning's suggestion to go late afternoon and watch the sunset together; then you would have sufficient time to chat! :)

• Oh,I can't believe that.

How can I do that.

Maybe I indeed have a lot of progress in my English learning.

You should have a lot of part of my achievement.

This reply was deleted.