Hi bloggers and everyone who likes writing. :)
I’m sure all of you know what passive voice is. Passive voice can change the focus of interest by placing the object at the beginning of the sentence. Subjects are often omitted in the sentence as they are usually unimportant, unknown, or obvious.
Passive voice is commonly used in news report. Hence, for practicing the passive, I challenge you to write a news report. :)
Here is your task:
1. Choose a topic of your interest, then make a title of your news report.
Here are suggestions (topic and title) I can make for you. You are FREE to use your own topic and title.
- Bank/shop robbery: “A Bank was Robbed, Two Bankers Died”
- Mysterious death: “A Body Found in the River”
- Natural disaster: “A 3m-wave killed A Woman”
- Reconstruction of the building: “Villagers Urged the Government to Build a New Bridge”
- Mafia boss arrest: “Mafia Boss Arrested at the Swimming Pool”
- Shameful defeat: “Ronildo Shed Tears after Two Stolen Goals”
- Careless death: “A Man Died After Playing Online Game for Two Days Non-stop”
- Members of MyEC: "....................................."
I don't know why I only wrote bad news. :D I believe in your creativity. ^^
2. Write your news report on blog section with the title "Writing Challenge: A News Report". Use passive voice in some of your sentences and please write them in bold.
3. You can be either serious or humorous in your writing. But, avoid writing the real name of famous people/places/brands or include the source if you rewrite an actual news.
4. The news report must be 10-20 lines in some paragraphs.
Your news report should be the answers of 5W+1H questions.
Just write a news report, reread and choose which sentences to change into passive..
Well, to dear learners, you may make mistakes in your writings and expect some corrections. Just give correction tag on your blog IF you wish to be corrected. I’ll try to correct them BUT only in my capabilities. Phrasal Verb, idioms, and words are my weakness :D, so let’s request some other advanced or fluent teachers or Native English (Expector, Teacher Dan and Tanya, Paula, Rysperski, and some others, or even Josef Sir? ) for help. :) :d 8)
I hope I get corrections as well :D or at least they participate, too. ^_^
Passive Voice examples are available here just for you to remember.
Have a lovely November!
Here the entries:
1. A 50cm-wave Killed 10 People by Onee
2. Brutal Attack Reported on EC Main Chatroom by Luci
3. Breaking News! by Elen
4. Weather Forecast by Mishaikh
5. Unknown Anti-Hero by Roman
6. The Breaking News by Tanya
7. Funny News Report by Danny