Replies

•      Thank you for your input, but you are incorrect. It may be used in the same context, but it is not the SAME. If you don't believe me, go to an interview where proper English is required and you will find yourself looking for employment elsewhere. By the way,I would not give too much attention to what YOUNG Americans say or do. 

• Thank you Rahulk for your detailed explanation. :) Usually i see it in lyrics of songs. Personally, i prefer not to use it, it confuse me a little bit.

• Agree with William. Don't spoil your English by using it, elen..but i know it is in many songs etc. Ain't no adventage in using it :D
    • You are right Luzzi, thank you :)

• In the US using the word ain't is associated with those that are not educated.  In school it was considered improper English.

• Thank you William!

•      William, I am in total agreement. I was educated in the U.S. in the 50's, and as you said; it was considered lack of proper education to use "ain't". Fortunately, English was not my first language and in spite of being poor or living in a poor school district, I was not exposed to it on a daily basis. Having taken the opportunities life has thrown my way, I have traveled extensively and found that to be true to this day. The English language changes daily, but the basic principles remain the same. The noun and the verb MUST agree. "Wanna does not replace "want to" and neither does "gonna" replace "going to". They are not "old English". These are conveniences used by poets, singers or lazy people.

•  Hmm Jeffrey, i see. So in some cases "ain't" is better choice. Thank you that left your answer in my question.

•      

Elen, I have no idea where Jeffrey attained his information, but even back in the early 70's, the Brits used the term "ain't". However, it was normally used to poke fun at those lesser educated or by those of lesser education. Its use is common, throughout the common world, but not usually used among better educated professionals.

I was educated in the U.S., it was never accepted as proper grammar. 

• Gerardo, the important is that everybody here agree that the "ain't" is not proper English and you all made it clear to me :) Thanks again :)

This reply was deleted.