"Bunga Raya" or hibiscus is the National flower of Malaysia. It was chosen by Malaysia's First Prime Minister's wife 50 years ago. The hibiscus was chosen from a selection of seven flowers; Gardenia, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Lotus, Spanish Cherry, Rose and Hibiscus. It was chosen for its unique five-petals and red in colour. The red colour symbolises bravery, political solidarity and economic strength whereas the five petals symbolises the principal of Malaysia's Pillars of State.

What is your National (or your City) symbol? What is the story behind it?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi dkh. Soufian.

It is nice to learn about each other country, and not just about each other. If you have any additional information about even your city, you are more than Welcome to add them.

• Asma. I never know that Algeria is also known as the country of martyrs. Thanks for sharing this information. Now I know more about your country besides couscous  :-P :-D

• WOW Babi. Of all probable origins of Georgia, I like the best about the Dragon Slayer. It sounds so romantic  :-D. Thanks for sharing about your country.

• Adlet, WOW. Thank you for sharing. Now, I know a little bit more about Kazakhstan. 

• the kapok. but i hvnt found the story, i will tell ya later, dear sis!2386603928?profile=original2386603898?profile=original

• Mickey, it's beautiful! Is this the Cotton Tree?

• WOW. Nice flower. Can't wait to read the story behind it Mick.

This reply was deleted.