EnglishClub's social network
A woman: I've lost my precious jewelry. A thief broke into my house last night. [Sad mood]
Neighbor 1: I'm sorry to hear that. Actually, I passed by your house and saw someone jumping the fence of your house last night.
A woman: Really, why didn't you tell me? [Annoyed mood]
Neighbor 1: I'm sorry, I was in a hurry. I thought he was just doing an exercise.
A woman: ..................... [*^(%*$] ^^
Neighbor 2: Mmm.... To be honest, I definitely saw a man jump the fence of your house.
A woman: Then?
Neighbor 2: I noticed him broke into your house. A few minutes later, after entering your house, I heard him laugh for getting something precious. I watch him get out of your house with victorious smile on his face. He didn't wear a mask.
A Woman: Now where is your care for your neighbor? Why didn't you tell me or call the police? [Anger mood]
Neighbor 2: I'm sorry, I was taking a video for Y**tube content. I will give you the link so you will know the thief.
A woman: ..................... [)*^*%^$#9*&^%#$#]
:D :D :D
* * *
Hi everyone! The dialogue was just kidding. ^^
This is about "Verbs of Perception". Certain verbs of perception are followed by infinitive without to OR -ing form.
PATTERN: "Verbs of perception + noun as object + verb-base / verb-ing"
Lets look at the difference of the two.
1. I saw a man jump the fence.
(Meaning: I saw the jumping from the beginning to end, I saw the whole event)
2. I saw a man jumping the fence.
(Meaning: I saw the jumping when it was in progress, I saw the event or action in progress. If jumping the fence needs 30 seconds, I saw probably just one second)
Several verbs of perception: hear, feel, observe, smell, see, watch, notice, look at, listen to.
What about the following sentences? Which one is followed by infinitive without to and which one is followed by -ing form?
1. I heard him __________ (talk) with my mother. To give them privacy, I went out enjoying the fresh air.
2. Behind the door, I stood and heard him __________ (talk) with my mother.
3. I saw them __________ (eat) all the fruits. They ate them gluttonously. What ravenous people!
4. I saw them __________ (eat) the fruits. Then, I went to the terrace. Several minutes later, I found that they left no any fruits for me.
* * *
Thank you very much for your precious time.
Have a wonderful April! ^_^
Add a Comment