- What do you think is a memory? Fears, feelings it’s when we remember things FROM PAST.
- What are the first things you remember from your childhood?
- What makes memories to become long-term memories?
- What are the things that you remember just for a short time and what are the things that you remember for years?
These were some of the questions we were thinking about during a class with teacher Mark.
We were sharing some stories from our childhood that we remember. I’ll tell you my story
I was 5 years old. My mom was at work and my brother was with her. I was alone at home. The weather was warm and nice. And I decided that I could make a surprise to my mom and visit her at work. She was working in a farm and it was 5 kilometers away from home. As a child I had no idea how long it takes to go 5 km because when it was my turn to go with mom, we were driven by car and it seemed to be quickly. So why not go on my own. I only had to go straight along the way. As it was countryside there were no lights along the way. Half of my way I had to go into darkness. When I finally reached my mom’s work it was late night and she was finishing all the work. She was very surprised and confused when saw me standing in front of her. The last thing I remember I was scared and crying cause I could have left on the road alone if I didn’t reach my mom on time. She could pass me by and not see when going back home.
What would be your story? Most of the stories are about injuries, pain, accidents or some unusual things going on.
- Now think and try to remember what were you doing one or two month ago? Can you remember? (Don’t look at the calendar, just use your memory!) Why?
- And now think about yesterday. Can you remember what you were doing? And again why?
The reason we can’t remember anything from a month ago is that it was an ordinary day and nothing special was going on. The only things you might know are the ones you do every day – such as brushing teeth or walking your dog. There was nothing specific going on to remember that day.
From this we see that to become a long-term memory it should be something unusual, something that we need to remember and it something important.
How can we use these things to help to learn English better?