The tenses of the past "simple- continuous- perfect.."are so often confused, that it's a good idea to revise the simple past tense first, then in the next lessons I will connect the simple past with the other tenses but remember: if the past activity closely connected to the present ,we use the Present Perfect tense "as in the previous lesson".
The simple Past Tense:
We use the simple past tense to talk about finished actions in the past (they can be short or long actions) ,past habits,repeated activities in the past..:
- Shakespeare wrote many important plays.
- He spent his holiday in the mountain.
-The new company interviewed new employees last Monday.
1- We add -ed or -ied( for some verbs ending -y) to the infinitive of regular verbs :
- It rained hard last winter.
-He tried his best to pass the exam.
2- We use the past form of irregular verbs:
- I wrote a long blog last night .
- He bought a new black car two weeks ago.
Time Adverbials :
We can use the following time adverbials with the simple past tense:
Yesterday , ago , last " month /week/ Friday ../winter ..." ......etc.
- I finally passed my driving test last week.
- Two days ago, I visited the National Museum in my city .
Throughout my teaching period I found that most students made mistakes in writing the simple past tense in questions and answers and in negative sentences too ,so I will focus on these mistakes by examples :
In questions : We use did and the infinitive form of the main verb,but when we want to answer no need to put did too ,for example:
- When did they arrive ( arrived) ? -They arrived three hours ago.
- How long did he work ( worked ) there? - He worked there for almost five years .
- Did you watch ( watched) the match last night? -Yes ,I did "Yes, I watched it"
In negatives : we use did not ( didn't) and the infinitive form of the main verb:
- We didn't see ( saw ) the begining of the film because we were late .
- She didn't do ( did ) her homework yesterday.
Important note :
When we have in the sentence an auxiliary verb like ( was -were - had - could - .......) so ,we can make questions and negatives from these verbs and no need to add did . For examples:
-I couldn't attend the party last night ,I was busy.
- The students weren't satisfied by their results.
- Was She online yesterday?
Change the infinitives in brackets to the simple past tense:
1- the players ( be ) tired after the match.
2-the meeting ( last ) for two hours.
3-I ( study ) French for three years.
4- The policemen ( catch) the thief last night.
1-Give two sentences using the simple past tense in negatives
2- Give two sentences using the simple past tense in questions.
Thank you for reading .
- Hala -